Author Topic: On line scam  (Read 1882 times)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
On line scam
« on: Thursday 03 September 15 10:34 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this one has been featured before on here.

Briefly it relates to a download (in my case updating Adobe Flash). The screen then takes on a different appearance with a number of "programmes" including games.
Then a pop-up appears suggesting  Microsoft , purporting to inform you of a problem and offering a solution.
They give a telephone number 0800 3058 8121. The website is support@emobilize.net
After lengthy discussion with Pryanka, who got increasingly aggressive on the phone they then offer a "repair"  at a cost. I year £199, 2 years £299,etc etc.

At this point I said I would think about it and call them back.

This one appeared back in December.

I think I managed to get out of it safely this time, but yet another one to beware of.

I have reset my password and restored the system and do not appear to have suffered in any obvious way. But Chatters beware!  I am usually so careful in what I download and will be even more watchful in future.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: On line scam
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 September 15 15:08 BST (UK) »
A Freephone number?
Haven't seen that one before.
They're either new at the game, or aren't making enough out of the premium rates............!
 ;)

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 September 15 17:12 BST (UK) »
Thank goodness for this site allowing one to talk about computer problems etc.

My problem now is every time I go to Google or other sites to find information within a very short time I get a whole bunch of incoming emails that have nothing to do with what I was looking for.  Also, I have been getting land line incoming calls which start "I am returning your call" when I had made no such request.

I would like to get rid of all these unwanted emails and would like to know how I stop them incoming in the first place and how to get rid of the Junk incoming mail (listed in 5,000+ range)  and how my land line tel. number is picked up by these people who call regardless of day/hour.  I have a Mac.  Thank you, Lookin2
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 15 17:50 BST (UK) »

After lengthy discussion with Pryanka, who got increasingly aggressive on the phone they then offer a "repair"  at a cost. I year £199, 2 years £299,etc etc.

The name says it all  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 15 17:53 BST (UK) »
I wonder if reporting them to the Police would conjure up anything  ???

Trouble is...........they will (in the eyes of the law) be doing nothing wrong  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"