Author Topic: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Jerry Hall (WDYTYA Series 12 episode 4)  (Read 12129 times)

Offline Barnes612

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BBC 'WDYTYA' Series 12 episode 4: Jerry Hall
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 September 15 00:20 BST (UK) »
Just as I thought Paul Hollywood's effort was going to be the duff one of the series, this comes along.

There seemed to be an awful lot of driving along and twangy music to fill in the large gaps when nothing much was being explored.

I had high hopes with the Oldham cotton mills section but everything seemed to peter out and Jerry didn't help as, although I felt she was personable and interested in her family, unlike Jane Seymour and Derek Jacobi she didn't convert that interest into intelligent questioning so we mainly just got people showing her bits of paper with her cooing then another longshot of her driving along or riding along...

She was also concerned about the slaves but not about the displacement of Native Americans. Both were products of their time, so I think either accept both or condemn both, it's hypocritical to be appalled at slave ownership but to then celebrate other ancestors 'pioneering' that was at the expense of those already there.

As for her wondering about James Hall being a cad. Well, fair enough, in the Bruce Forsyth series I think there was a man in every programme who deserted his family!
WARBURTON, WOODS, BARNES, HAWORTH: Haslingden, Lancashire
GIBBONS: Oving, Sussex
OAKLEY: Bunbury, Cheshire
LANKENAU: Vegesack, Bremen

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 September 15 07:18 BST (UK) »
Barnes.  You expressed my feelings about the programme perfectly.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 05 September 15 23:40 BST (UK) »
No, this one was not for me, boring, only watched half. First time I have seen one of these programmes where they are taken to see long lost family who turn around and say"haven't seen you in a while" !!

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 September 15 14:39 BST (UK) »
Just as I thought Paul Hollywood's effort was going to be the duff one of the series, this comes along.

There seemed to be an awful lot of driving along and twangy music to fill in the large gaps when nothing much was being explored.

I had high hopes with the Oldham cotton mills section but everything seemed to peter out and Jerry didn't help as, although I felt she was personable and interested in her family, unlike Jane Seymour and Derek Jacobi she didn't convert that interest into intelligent questioning so we mainly just got people showing her bits of paper with her cooing then another longshot of her driving along or riding along...

She was also concerned about the slaves but not about the displacement of Native Americans. Both were products of their time, so I think either accept both or condemn both, it's hypocritical to be appalled at slave ownership but to then celebrate other ancestors 'pioneering' that was at the expense of those already there....

Agree. I was disappointed by the short amount of time spent on the mills /Oldham section
Also, child labour in the industrial mills (and mines) was itself  a type of slavery, as many radicals and reformers repeatedly pointed out at the time.
There is a wealth of interesting historical evidence that could have been explored about the lives of the  British working class, but yet again the BBC ignore it and spend most of its UK  WDYTYA programme exploring another countries social history

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 September 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
I thought this episode was good but I'm unsure why she wasn't on the US version, maybe they did an 'exchange episode' as JK Rowling apparently appeared on the US version this year, even though I'm sure she did a UK one! ??? ::)

Anyway! It was interesting to see their movements around the country and the connections to the Boone's and I agree that there should have been more of the cotton mills section as it would allow viewers, who have relatives who worked in the mills, to gain more of an insight.
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 09:07 BST (UK) »
I was surprised at close up of Jerry's teeth.
As a top model, you would think she'd have perfect teeth.

I liked the part where Family were sharing photographs.
Overall I liked the programme especially the views of the countryside.
The Native Americans were mentioned as if they were wolves or bears about to pounce on their prey.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 11:22 BST (UK) »
I was surprised that they kept referring to the 'Indians', I thought that wasn't accepted now, Native Americans instead. Having never had the chance to visit the US I genuinely don't know.  ???

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 08:32 BST (UK) »
Enjoyed this episode, much to my surprise  ;)  I too thought it more suited to the American WDYTYA series.  It gave a great insight into those early American settlers.  How lucky she was to have been shown all those documents etc that pieced together the life story of her ancestors!
Bit surprised that she lives in Richmond  :o

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 20 September 15 16:33 BST (UK) »
I was surprised that they kept referring to the 'Indians', I thought that wasn't accepted now, Native Americans instead. Having never had the chance to visit the US I genuinely don't know.  ???

Pat
Apparently the natives don't see much difference between being called "Indian" or "Native American" since both are inaccurate descriptions of what the original peoples would have called themselves. Same applies for "Eskimo" and "Inuit".
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire