Author Topic: 1939 National Register??  (Read 60124 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 National Register??
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 October 15 21:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks ShaunJ.  I emailed them recently and their response was as follows:

Thank you for getting in touch regarding the 1939 Register.

We can confirm the 1939 Register will be released in 2015.  Although we do not have a release date or confirmed cost for this as yet.

Since the 1931 census was destroyed, and there was none taken in 1941, the 1939 Register provides an invaluable ‘census substitute’ for historians of the more recent past. This fantastic resource will open up entirely new avenues for genealogical research.

The 1939 register was taken on 29 September 1939 by the British Government, shortly after the outbreak of WW2. It recorded personal details of individuals in order to issue identity cards and ration books, and later formed the basis of the National Health Service’s records.

You can register an interest at the following website if already not done so:

www.findmypast.co.uk/1939register

Feel free to contact us, if you have any other questions.

I'm suspecting it will be available not long before Christmas to capitalise on the festive season, lol.
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 October 15 18:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update Borderlass, although the part "Although we do not have .... or confirmed cost for this as yet" is a bit concerning. Is it not going to be part of our existing sub?
Having just got hit by a 12% increase from Ancestry.........  >:(

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 October 15 20:28 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast on their Facebook page a few weeks back, in response to a query, said it wouldn't be included as part of current subs and they couldn't advise at that point what the costs would be.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 October 15 16:01 BST (UK) »
Oh, I see  ::).  I do sense that they will have an extra fee as they did when the 1911 census first came out! 
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 October 15 16:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update Borderslass...how disappointing that there will be an extra charge on top of subs to view the records...as if Family History isn't expensive enough as it is  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 October 15 17:05 BST (UK) »
I think it will be a case of wait and see what the costs will be, in my mind it will be worth it, although hopefully not to high a cost, will keep me busy in between waiting for the 1921 census which won't be out till 2021

I have signed up even though I do already subscribe to FindMyPast

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 October 15 17:13 BST (UK) »
If it was not for FindMyPast the only way to get it at the moment would be to pay £42 per request

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gbh/

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/register-service
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vervet

• --
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 October 15 17:25 BST (UK) »
It costs a lot to digitise an enormous record set like the 1939 Register, so it shouldn't be surprising that we'll have to pay more for a subscription when it when it is released. But over time the cost will come down, as it did for the 1911 census. You just have to be patient and resist the urge to access all the records you want the moment it is released.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 October 15 17:29 BST (UK) »
There was a very brief period prior to them starting to charge £42 where we were able to get them for nothing - Thanks to Guy posting it on here.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk