Author Topic: Emigration for health reasons?  (Read 2486 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration for health reasons?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 September 15 17:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks he is not in USA so must be a country that's not very well documented, although his brother went to America in 1839 and he is not in emigration records.
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 September 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks he is not in USA so must be a country that's not very well documented, although his brother went to America in 1839 and he is not in emigration records.

I have relatives in the U.S. that I can't find in online records- even when I know exactly where they lived.

If he did go to America (and there's no proof that he actually did so) he might have gone out after one census and did before the next. Not all passenger manifersts are complete and early ones (pre 1890s or so) don't give much detail so it can be difficult to connect a 'missing person' with an actual record. Remember also that each U.S. state keeps their own vital records (births, marriages, deaths)- the dates these records commenced vary greatly, not all are online, etc.

I'm wondering if you would have better luck with a death notice in the local newspaper- any chance that these are indexed?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 September 15 12:26 BST (UK) »
I presume that you have posted on here looking for him and we can't find him either
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 September 15 14:46 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks I have posted for help on here without luck.
The brothers family in USA is very well documented apart from his passage, they are in every census and often in the society news even when they had visitors from out of town and one once caught a 40 lb coon!
 Their obituaries list all his wife's siblings and where they lived as her whole family eventually went over but no mention of his family on that he was born in Lancastershire
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks