Author Topic: kirk of rathfriland county down  (Read 5602 times)

Offline theoalex1203

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: kirk of rathfriland county down
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Dalzell

Thanks for this reply which is really interesting to me and gives me lots to work on.

Regards
theoalex1203 ( Graham )

Offline Dalzell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Graham:  If you wish I can forward you a copy of the land survey map.

Let me know if this is of interest.

Lorna

Offline theoalex1203

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Lorna

Apologies for the formality in my previous reply. The map would be interesting if you don't mind forwarding it.

Thanks

Graham

Offline Dalzell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Ha!  No worries about brief replies - that is much more efficient anyway.

If you give me an e-mail address I can forward it to you.  I am not sure how much you know about the area or where you are located, but obviously in the UK.  I am in Canada but go back to the homeland every year.   I know the area very well as I lived there until I was 18 and have gone back every few years.  If there is any other information I can help you with I will be happy to try to help you out.

You can contact me by private message.

Best of luck.  Lorna

Offline theoalex1203

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorna

My e-mail address is [removed]. It is interesting that you mention William Kirk ( my great uncle ) because he emigrated to Victoria on Vancouver Island. My grandfather, Andrew ,settled in Rathfriland where he lived in Dromore street running a provisions store and then became an emigration agent. My gg/grandfather Francis was born in 1819 so the F.Kirk you mention who appears on the map is presumably his father. The Marmaduke you mention is my gg/uncle. 

Any recollections you have about Joseph and Mary or any other info would also be interesting.

By the way what is a March ditch?

Regards

Graham

Offline KirkLawsonStein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 January 21 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Kirk (son of Francis Kirk and Nancy Allen) is my 2nd great-grandfather, and the father of John Charles Kirk b 1886. Very interesting is the ages as it appears that Andrew was 46 when John was born.

John was baptized in the 3rd Rathfriland Presbyterian Church in 1887, emigrated to USA and died in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1958. He married Jane Crothers Lawson - her parents came from Rathfriland as well. John had 2 daughters, Jean and Mary (my mother).

I don't have information on his uncles, brothers or sisters. I've always been told that 3 brothers emigrated to Canada, South Africa and New Zealand. Nor do i have information further back than Francis Kirk and Nancy Allen. How long have the Kirk's been in Ireland?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 January 21 12:04 GMT (UK) »
My gg/grandfather Francis was born in 1819 so the F.Kirk you mention who appears on the map is presumably his father. The Marmaduke you mention is my gg/uncle.

Death of Francis Kirk in 1907
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1907/05541/4553946.pdf

1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Ballybrick/Aughnavallog/1207451/

Death of Marmaduke Kirk in 1917
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1917/05210/4440481.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile