Author Topic: Edward Leech  (Read 4173 times)

Offline carver1641

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Leech
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 19 September 15 00:16 BST (UK) »
I don't understand how Seromisnan    is transcribed  Scrimshaw   could some one explain please.
Bell, Leech, Grant, Burroughs, Hudson,

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 September 15 01:55 BST (UK) »
HI,

I am not sure where Cosmac found that record, but it is likely from a transcript of the Middlesex County Marriage Register, or some such record.  I have found transcripts of marriages for my own family with some very interesting errors.... like the last name "Simons" written as "Timous"!!.   So, whenever I see an unusual last name from an early marriage record, I assume a mistranscription from the original.  I start looking for other possible names that might fit.  All of the records for the Scrimshaws that I found fit your family... so I think Seromisnan is really Scrimshaw.  If I look at the two words, I can sort of understand how you might be able to see "Seromisnan" when you are really looking at "Scrimshaw". 

You could take a look at the original record.  The County Marriage Registers are on microfilm.  Your local library or branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society will likely have these microfilms for you to view. 

The Middlesex County Marriage Register is Volume 27.  It covers marriages from 1858-1869 (so should include the 1866 marriage found by Cosmac).  The microfilm covering years 1858-1867 is Archives of Ontario Reference Code RG 80-27-2 vol. 36.  The microfilm number is MS 248 R10.  A librarian or volunteer at the OGS should be able to help you find it.

RK   

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 September 15 02:02 BST (UK) »
Also, I was just rereading this thread and I see in reply number 9, at the top of the second page, I said that in the marriage record of Elizabeth Leech to James R Winship, her parents were listed as Edward Leech and SARAH Weston.  Oops.... I meant Susan Weston.  That is what the record says.  In my reply I posted the link to the actual record, and you can see that Elizabeth's mother is Susan, not Sarah.  Sorry :'(

RK 

Offline carver1641

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 September 15 00:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help and understanding as I am new at this  you have helped a lot as I could not find much still cant find when Edward and Susan immigrated but I will keep looking , thanks again.
Bell, Leech, Grant, Burroughs, Hudson,