Author Topic: Where is Claremont Place, Edinburgh?  (Read 4685 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Claremont Place, Edinburgh?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 15:01 BST (UK) »
The old map certainly shows it as swallowed up by Henderson Row, not renamed as West Claremont street and then Saxe Coburg street. They are just round the corner. Can't post image of map because it is copyright. If you take the little yellow man on Google map for a walk around the western end of Henderson Row, you get a flavour of what the houses looked like.
But without the lead on Henderson Row, I would have continued searching the other area near Claremont street in Leith and never got there.
Nice area I was there a couple of weeks ago for a visit to the Botanic garden. Likely went along it, the buses were on massive diversions for the international rugby match at Murrayfield
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 16:03 BST (UK) »
Lizzie,

I am not disputing what it's named now.

I am going by official sites which have all the info. regarding name changes (from the era in question) relevant to Tom's query & him "hoping to see what the house looked like" which I have done with the info. I found from good sources.

If you feel so strongly that the info. on the net is wrong then I suggest you get in touch with the relevant sources................

www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk
www.genuki.org.uk
www.rightmove.co.uk

I wouldn't be surprised if the ad for rightmove has actually got on it's official paperwork........

11 Saxe Coburg Street, Henderson Row  ???

My task was only to find the building (related to) regardless of it's street name in this century not to go into the legalities of why rightmove are declaring Henderson Row to be Saxe Coburg Street which at one time was known as Claremont Place  ::)

The building certainly looks to be the original from the era in question in my view but I may be wrong on that  ???

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/record/rcahms/137985/edinburgh-stockbridge-1-2-saxe-coburg-street/rcahms?inline=true#map-wrapper

From Scotlandsplaces.gov

Good link, the older 6 in to mile map leading on from your link shows it more clearly than the OS map (free version) that I found earlier.

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/record/nls/1569/ordnance-survey-six-inch-mile-edinburghshire-sheet-2/os6inch

Quite a difference to the layout of the botanic garden between the 1850's and 1870's map. I must bookmark the Scotlands places site for the future.

I agree, it doesn't really matter what the roads are called now. It is good to see that most of the late Georgian / early Victorian buildings are still there and a good chance that Tom's ancestor's house is as well. 

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 21:34 BST (UK) »
I have a wonderful book on Edinburgh place names which has this explanation of the street names and the changes.  It echoes much of what everyone has said, but also contains the original thinking behind the names.

Saxe-Coburg Place and the adjoining Claremont Place were planned together .....Both were named in honour of Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg, widowed husband of Princess Charlotte, daughter of George IV.  Leopold's popularity continued after his wife's untimely death in 1817 and he was given the freedom of Edinburgh in 1819.  Saxe-Coburg was his family name and Claremont was his home in Esher, Surrey.  In 1828 the plan of the north end of Saxe-Coburg Place was changed to make it a semi-circular crescent......but house-building ceased when the developer went bankrupt in 1834.  By 1826, most of the east side of the orginal Claremont Place was built up, but its name had changed to Claremont Street, while the name Claremont Place re-appeared round the corner by 1824, and continued until about 1890, when it was taken into Henderson Row.  Also in about 1890, Claremont Street began to be called West Claremont Street to distinguish it from East Claremont Street in Broughton; and in 1968, for the same reason, the name was changed to Saxe-Coburg Street.  Its west side, built in 1870-76 as Deanbank Terrace was renamed Saxe-Coburg Terrace in 1980.

A pic of 11 Saxe Coburg Street (3rd floor) so was 10 2nd floor

No - the whole house is number 11 with the flats numbered such as this one in the advert as 11/2, meaning on the 2nd floor, I believe.  Number 10 would be next door.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nell,

I read all that on the internet today but I did put a  ??? next to my query whether no. 10 was the flat below as I wouldn't know. It was merely to let Tom the OP know that I was unsure i.e. not a definitive answer to his query.

Interesting reading it was all the same  ;)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 07:58 BST (UK) »
Yes thank you Nell,

That makes perfect sense of the conflicting information that Ann and I found, both from solid sources. The street moved or at least the name did! Originally where Ann found it and later where I found it on OS maps.

Glad I wasn't a postie in those days!

Renumbering of houses also seemed to be a favourite pastime of local authorities through the years, I've been confused by that on more than one occasion when tracing ancestors houses.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 October 15 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

The death certificate of one my relations who died in 1884 is shown as 10 Claremont Place in Edinburgh, Thanks

Could you please let us know the name of your relation living at 10 Claremont Place, Tom?
    In 1871 there was John and Jane Grant and their family living at this same address.    Second time in a couple of days that we've come across others searching the same address - other case being in Leith.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 October 15 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

My interests name was John Sands McIndoe, I got this residential address from the Edinburgh Post Office Directory and his death cert.

Thanks

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 October 15 20:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tom, just thought it might have been Fergie.  Another thing to watch out for in the address with Edinburgh is whether it was east, west, north or south.  This could mean a different street.   My daughter-in-law's ancestor was the father of this John Grant, but note the address has 'north' in it:

1871 Census
Claremont Place North Side, 10, St Cuthbert Edinburgh, St Georges, Midlothian

John C Grant Head Married 36   Printer Compositor Also   b Midlothian
Jane C Grant  Wife 33 Teacher Of Music   -
Arthur Grant Son   -10   Scholar b St Cuthbert's, Midlothian
Marjory K Grant Daughter -   7 Scholar   B St Cuthbert's, Midlothian
Sarah J Grant Daughter   - 5 -   b City, Midlothian
Joseph Grant Son   - 0 -   b St Cuthbert's, Midlothian
AllisonK Fergie Servant   -19   Domestic Servant   Midlothian
    Cheers Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley