Author Topic: Am stumped: Edith Annie FISHER 1887-1962 & George Harry NELSON 1885-1952  (Read 6430 times)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
Re: Am stumped: Edith Annie FISHER 1887-1962 & George Harry NELSON 1885-1952
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 September 15 14:28 BST (UK) »
John - nothing but dead ends!!

Marriage: not found all churches Loughborough; Shepshed / Hathern /IGI Leics
Baptism George Harry: not found Shepshed / L'boro / IGI Leics
             Edith annie: not found Hathern / Shepshed / L'boro / IGI Leics

I DID find in the IGI Leics:
Baptism: George Nelson 20/3/1851 Shepshed  s/o James Nelson & Mary Draper  so I think that is the next generation back.

Loughborough District was very large covering many villages but seems funny that they are not in Shepshed or L'boro.

Diddy

Many thanks for taking the trouble to look, Diddy.

The next generation back corresponds with what I have already. However I just checked my census entries. In 1901 George Harry is named as plain Harry Nelson - Tailors apprentice (on the birth certificate I have for George Harry's son, Raymond, he is listed as a Tailors Fitter - as occupation).
In 1901, the address was The Lant, Shepshed.

Birth details:

Name   George Harry Nelson
Registration Year   1885
Registration Quarter   Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration district   Loughborough
Inferred County   Leicestershire
Volume   7a
Page   129

As for his wife, Edith Annie Fisher (who was a dressmaker on their son's birth certificate) I'm a little less confident about what I've found for her. But I've not found anything else that corresponds.

The Nelson (my Dad's) family in general has been far more difficult to research than my Mum's family... I had a little more to go on for her family - even if some of the things my Grandma used to say have turned out to be taken with a grain of salt (like my Grandad being a lapsed Jew for example(!)

John.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 April 16 09:10 BST (UK) »
Since writing the above, I have purchased the marriage certificate for my Grandparents (Raymond Fisher Nelson & Mavis Timson) - which gives an address in Leicester for Raymond and his father George Harry.

Pre 1940 they were both living at 112 Knighton Fields Road East, Leicester.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 April 16 17:29 BST (UK) »
So... a few more additions about my Great Grandparents - thanks to my Dad's cousin David in London.

George Harry Nelson (everyone called him Harry) operated a business from 112 Knighton Fields Road as a tailor for "high end weddings". Edith Annie Nelson (Ne Fisher) was a dressmaker. So the pair of them operated together. The front room was used to measure up the clients and a back bedroom was where they made the clothes.
Life was pretty hard, they could really be in the money one minute then very poor the next. Of their two sons Raymond (my Grandad) married my Grandma, Mavis (ne Timson) in 1940 then left home. I am presuming that they went to live with Mavis' parents in Chapel Street, Enderby. After the war they moved to Stanhope (later renamed Swinford) Avenue in Glen Parva. - Anyone know more about the prefabs here?

In the 1939 "census" Mavis was living at 67 Chapel Street, with her parents Athur Forryan Timson and Catherine (Ne Cooper) and was employed as a boot & shoe hand.

The other son, Victor, was sent to India in 1942 and returned at the end of hostilities in 1945.

George Harry Nelson died in hospital in 1952, from a condition related to him having being gassed during WW1. His son Raymond had been born in Nuneaton in 1916. Around that time Harry was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, so I'm presuming this was why he was living there at the time.

Victor, his wife Edna and their son David (the cousin of my Dad's in London) lived at 112 Knighton Fields Road until 1958, with Edith Annie Nelson. After Victor and his family had left, Edith lived at the house with her cousin Annie Spence and Edna's sister Kathleen. Edith passed away in 1962.

John.

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 September 16 09:17 BST (UK) »
Loughborough to Nuneaton is only 32 miles or so - practically next door!

Have since found out they were in Nuneaton because my Great Grandad was in the Warwickshire Regiment during WW1. He took part in the offensive at Vimy Ridge alongside the Canadians.

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 September 16 09:21 BST (UK) »

Mary Ann Roberts died in December 1916 at Hall Croft, Shepshed. According to my records.

Could anyone help me with confiming this fact? Finally not 100% sure.
She was born in Shepshed in 1855 or 56.

Thanks,

John.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 September 16 09:33 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD is showing:

Deaths, March qtr 1916
Leicester Registration District     vol 7a, page 725

Roberts, Mary A     age 67

So, estimated birth c1849.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 03 September 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD is showing:

Deaths, March qtr 1916
Leicester Registration District     vol 7a, page 725

Roberts, Mary A     age 67

So, estimated birth c1849.

Thanks a lot for the look up. I'll have to check that. Her husband George Nelson was born in Shepshed (or Sheepshed) 1855. Her birth date is still OK to correspond with the birth of their children. Sadly they lost 7 of their children as toddlers or younger. Some of the deaths were recorded in the local press.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 03 September 16 10:31 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD.org.uk is free to use! ;D

You can do the lookups yourself ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 03 September 16 10:52 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD.org.uk is free to use! ;D

You can do the lookups yourself ;)

I'm glad you looked, as I know it is free but didn't even think of looking there! Instead I was trawling Ancestry and couldn't find anything related to her death - which is weird.

Another odd thing is that I haven't been able to find Mary Nelson in the 1891 census, however I have found George who appears to be a boarder in Calverton (his immediate family was from Nottinghamshire). Mary & George had married in 1873, had a few children, many of whom died as babies/toddlers - then for some reason by 1891 they were living apart.
In the 1901 census they were back together again and had had more children, again losing some of these.

Sounds like they had a really tough time.

I have two photos, who I think are of them on my blog.

Thanks for your help,

John.