Author Topic: Ancestry Website: If it aint broke dont fix it!  (Read 24784 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Ancestry Website: If it aint broke dont fix it!
« on: Wednesday 09 September 15 09:41 BST (UK) »
I think the subject line says it all.

Just been into ancestry and its a nightmare.  I dont like the new look.  I am registered but only use pay as you go.  It tells me I cannot access any of my stuff, to try again.  Have been trying for 2 days. 

I know I am a bit of a techno-phobe/dinosaur,  is it just me ???.  I had the option to leave a message and I did telling them much the same as I have here.  After I submitted it said "sorry to see you go"!  I didnt actually say I was going - so where does this leave me?

Jane

Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Website: If it aint broke dont fix it!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 09:52 BST (UK) »
The "sorry to see you go" message appears each time you try out New Ancestry and then revert back to the old version. It doesn't mean that you been unsubscribed . I don't like the new format either and , for the time being at any rate, we don't have to use it , but sooner or later there will be no choice so I'm afraid we will have to get used to it.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
As CB53 said, you still have the option of using the old site, I think there is a thread about it somewhere on here. I tried the new site, found some of my relatives had been moved to America, so I went back to the old site. When I contacted Ancestry via their FB page I received a reply telling me that they were aware of the problem and that they were working on it. I'll give it another go when it is sorted.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 12:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Guys,

I tried to get back to the old site but I couldnt.  I am sure it is me but it is so frustrating.  I will give it another go then if it doesnt work give up!

Its a shame they have to change it but I suppose eventually I will have to get used to the change - or go somewhere else.

Jane

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 12:23 BST (UK) »
Jane, if you log back onto Ancestry, on the home page hover the cursor over your username and a drop down menu will appear, click on "Old Ancestry?" and the old site will come back on for you.

Frank :)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 12:34 BST (UK) »
I tried the new site, found some of my relatives had been moved to America, so I went back to the old site.

I think that changes like that now affect the old site too. Today I was rechecking a marriage - I had originally recorded the registration details as Bradfield registration district, Berkshire. Then I discovered that Ancestry said inferred county was West Riding of Yorkshire so it made me worry I had completely the wrong couple. Eventually I got the scan of the index to load (very slow internet connection) and it was indeed Bradfield and not Bradford - which was much more likely given known residence of the couple in the 1960's. I'm sure it didn't say West Riding and gave the correct county when I first looked it up a couple of years ago.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
I've been with  a subscriber with ancestry for years, and I haven't noticed a difference, but I'm still using the old. I have ignored "try the new improved ancestry" when I have logged in for the past weeks (just pressed the x button to get  rid of the stupid pop up "improved ancestry" thing - I don't want their so-called improved)

My reckoning if I ignore their" improved pop up" enough, it will  just go away, I will just carry on living in ignorant bliss with my not improved ancestry, thank you very much ;D

Kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 12:54 BST (UK) »
Jane, if you log back onto Ancestry, on the home page hover the cursor over your username and a drop down menu will appear, click on "Old Ancestry?" and the old site will come back on for you.

Frank :)

That didnt work went into site cant get no access to  home page, cant see my name anywhere. Just a black strip across top of page with nothing on it.  This is what came up nelow it:

Everything has been removed from your page.
To add items, please click the
“Customise your homepage” button. You can find this button
near the upper-right corner of your page. 

We’re sorry, your home page is temporarily unavailable
Please try back in a few minutes.

Jane

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 13:28 BST (UK) »
You have to login first? Are you logged in?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)