Author Topic: Ancestry Website: If it aint broke dont fix it!  (Read 24793 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Website: If it aint broke dont fix it!
« Reply #108 on: Friday 04 December 15 21:12 GMT (UK) »
KG. I have got used to it. It's fine by me.

Think my subject heading was rubbish! I didn't give it a chance.

Jane :P

Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Friday 04 December 15 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I have tried the new look Ancestry, seems I may have to like it or lump it anyway soon. I always do check when I type in a place name to an ancestors birthplace, etc that it is "Essex, England" not "Essex, Massachusetts, USA"
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Saturday 05 December 15 00:19 GMT (UK) »
I haven't tried it but do they not have a " drop down box" for names which are in different countries when typed in?

Maybe this should be something for them to create e.g........

Perth, Australia
Perth, Scotland
Perth, Ontario

Would save so many mistakes

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Saturday 05 December 15 00:36 GMT (UK) »
I had to switch on Thursday as I wanted to view some US Wills and since their release, they've only been available to view on the new site. This time I decided to stay using it. To be honest I don't have any real issues with it, but then I don't have my main trees on there. I only have two, one is for a friend without a subscription and the other is a one name study I occasionally do some work on (both being private anyway). The major differences are obviously with the tree software, but if, like me, you only use the site for searching and viewing documents to use to update offline trees (I use Family Historian to store my data), then the changes are minimal, apart from the colour screen and taking a peak at some of the public trees looking for clues.

That said, if you are worried about the new storyline style view ( I forget what its called) appending incorrect countries to your location data, then just click the Facts view and don't switch back to the other as it will remember the preference now. As KG says, the Facts, or Profile view, uses the data as you entered it originally on the old site. They've changed the layout four sources and media ( and unfortunately not necessarily for the better) :-\. It is, as others have said, possible to get used to it and everyone will have to after the 14th.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Online groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Saturday 05 December 15 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this has been asked anywhere, but if you have your tree on Ancestry synced to Family Tree Maker, does that stay exactly as it used to?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Saturday 05 December 15 07:04 GMT (UK) »
That said, if you are worried about the new storyline style view ( I forget what its called) appending incorrect countries to your location data, then just click the Facts view and don't switch back to the other as it will remember the preference now. As KG says, the Facts, or Profile view, uses the data as you entered it originally on the old site. They've changed the layout four sources and media ( and unfortunately not necessarily for the better) :-\. It is, as others have said, possible to get used to it and everyone will have to after the 14th.

Thanks smudwhisk. I'll bear that information in mind on the 14th. That is a comfort to know.

I'm sure I will get used to the changes when the time comes and yes KG I know your comments earlier were relevant but I've been very busy working on a friend's tree and didn't want the distraction/ annoyance of considerable changes to the format whilst I had the choice to leave things as they were for a little longer.

Groom, when I opened my FTM 2014 a few weeks ago it said updates were necessary because of the changes to ancestry. I accepted the update and can see no outward changes to FTM. Having said that I don't use it to its full potential really but it does seem to me to be ok since the update.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Saturday 05 December 15 08:48 GMT (UK) »
I haven't tried it but do they not have a " drop down box" for names which are in different countries when typed in?

Maybe this should be something for them to create e.g........

Perth, Australia
Perth, Scotland
Perth, Ontario

Would save so many mistakes

Annie

Yes they do, Annie!

If you enter "Perth" in a place name box, you should see:

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Perth Amboy, Middlesex, New Jersey, USA
Perthshire, Scotland
Perth, Ontario, Canada
Perth, Fulton, New York, USA
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland
Perth Burgh, Perthshire, Scotland
Perth Landward, Perthshire, Scotland
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Saturday 05 December 15 08:57 GMT (UK) »
So you keep telling us...again and again and again..........Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn ::)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Saturday 05 December 15 09:17 GMT (UK) »
So you keep telling us...again and again and again..........Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn ::)
Carol
And people keep on moaning about having to put the country in again and again and again. Yawnnnn.    :)

Simon