Author Topic: Ancestry Website: If it aint broke dont fix it!  (Read 24785 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Website: If it aint broke dont fix it!
« Reply #117 on: Saturday 05 December 15 09:45 GMT (UK) »
KG. I am fairly new to ancestry and appreciate your comments. As with everything,  when starting out there are many things I don't know,  so thanks.

I think the only option , if  people really don't like New site and have voiced their criticism to no avail,   is to go elsewhere.

I am sure there are many many people who are happy with it. The dissenters are only probably a drop in the ocean to ancestry, sad but true.  That said it is nice to have a little rant/discussion here.
We can't change the world but we try ;D
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 05 December 15 09:58 GMT (UK) »
I think the only option , if  people really don't like New site and have voiced their criticism to no avail,   is to go elsewhere.

Most people will soon get used to it - people moaned when FindMyPast, FamilySearch and even Rootschat updated, but I expect most can't remember what they were like before. It's just the idea of change and perhaps being outside of your comfort zone when something new comes along.

If we went along with the idea of "If it ain't broke don't fix it" all the time, we'd be using mobiles the size of bricks and computers that took up a whole room.  ;D ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Saturday 05 December 15 11:08 GMT (UK) »
[quote author=groom link=topic=730353.msg5823648#msg582364

If we went along with the idea of "If it ain't broke don't fix it" all the time, we'd be using mobiles the size of bricks and computers that took up a whole room.  ;D ;D
[/quote]

That just about sums it up. So I must not resist change and go with the flow. I feel silly for posting this now, I should have given site a chance first, because " it ain't that bad!" :-[

Jane ;)
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Saturday 05 December 15 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Oh, your heading ain't that bad, Jane.

The new site seems to better than I remember it back in September so think of it as your little protest making a difference  :)
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Sunday 06 December 15 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I haven't tried it but do they not have a " drop down box" for names which are in different countries when typed in?

Maybe this should be something for them to create e.g........

Perth, Australia
Perth, Scotland
Perth, Ontario

Would save so many mistakes

Annie

Yes they do, Annie!

If you enter "Perth" in a place name box, you should see:

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Perth Amboy, Middlesex, New Jersey, USA
Perthshire, Scotland
Perth, Ontario, Canada
Perth, Fulton, New York, USA
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland
Perth Burgh, Perthshire, Scotland
Perth Landward, Perthshire, Scotland

Thanks KG,

I can't fathom how so many people are getting it wrong then........obviously the "Band Waggon" effect.....copying without checking ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline mogwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Sunday 06 December 15 02:10 GMT (UK) »
The new site isn't so bad,  & you can get used to it quite quickly, but then I don't have a tree on Ancestry so the effect on me is limited. 

But - it's still a "little bit broken" , at least in my experience.   For example, recently I've been looking at some baptism and census records and when I click through to see the image, the heading says something like '1860 census for California, USA' ,  though when it comes onto my screen it is the correct English image.  (Can't remember exactly the various searches I've done, or the exact wording, but you get the jist ).

So somewhere or other their own "sync" isn't syncing - or maybe it's just sinking   ;D

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Sunday 06 December 15 02:12 GMT (UK) »
I haven't tried it but do they not have a " drop down box" for names which are in different countries when typed in?

Maybe this should be something for them to create e.g........

Perth, Australia
Perth, Scotland
Perth, Ontario

Would save so many mistakes

Annie

Yes they do, Annie!

If you enter "Perth" in a place name box, you should see:

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Perth Amboy, Middlesex, New Jersey, USA
Perthshire, Scotland
Perth, Ontario, Canada
Perth, Fulton, New York, USA
Perth, Perthshire, Scotland
Perth Burgh, Perthshire, Scotland
Perth Landward, Perthshire, Scotland

Thanks KG,

I can't fathom how so many people are getting it wrong then........obviously the "Band Waggon" effect.....copying without checking ???

Annie
You haven't used the site or know how it works so "obviously" your theory is right.

Or just perhaps...

1 Firstly, people aren't " getting it wrong"  - most information is not entered via a drop down box, but added automatically, with an option to edit.

2 It's only the recent introduction of the mapping of a person's timeline that widespread "Americanisation" became apparent. From what I've seen, this has been fixed

3 I am not convinced that leaving an entry as Heston, Middlesex has any deleterious effect on searches, especially when restricted to UK records, so don't worry too much whether I add ,England to the placename.

4 I don't believe that if I have someone born in Shoreditch, Middlesex, England then leaving the baptism as Shoreditch St Leonard's needs editing. Although this seems to map to the centre of England, to be honest, I don't really care.

While I agree that it's sensible to follow KG's advice, where I haven't, it's not because I've copied anything without checking.
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Sunday 06 December 15 02:24 GMT (UK) »
I just checked mine, and found a couple with London Ontario, which should be London England. And a few others with the same sort of thing.

Another doosie is one that states my great great grandfather was "Burnt at sea in Northumberland, England!  should be "Buried at sea from the ship Northumberland"  Hilarious!

Having a bit of trouble with editing that one.

Strangely, sometimes my tree connects through Ancestry Canada, and sometimes Ancestry UK, which is the one I am actually subscribed to.  I assume that it directs me through the Canadian one
if the UK site is overloaded or down for some reason.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Sunday 06 December 15 02:54 GMT (UK) »

You haven't used the site or know how it works so "obviously" your theory is right.
[/quote]

Hi Stevie,

I should have been clearer.....

I haven't used the "New Site" although was a member of the Old for many years.

Just waiting for a good "offer" before I re-subscribe.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"