Author Topic: Ancestry Website: If it aint broke dont fix it!  (Read 24789 times)

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Website: If it aint broke dont fix it!
« Reply #126 on: Sunday 06 December 15 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I think the subject line says it all.

Just been into ancestry and its a nightmare.  I dont like the new look.

It's strange.  I was always a huge fan for FindMyPast - until their redid their site and rendered it unusable.  I was one of many who complained, grumbled, etc, but seeing no improvement and unable to find anything, I eventually gave up and quit. 

In contrast, I struggled big time with Ancestry and wasn't really a fan of it at all.  Then they made some big changes.  I never really used the "old" Ancestry. The "new" Ancestry is a different matter :)  I'm not struggling with it at all and the fairly recent tweaks have made it even easier.

I keep finding new things including being able to search on a census reference, like FindMyPast used to have.

My only concern is the massive amount of information Ancestry has.  What happens to that if something bad happens to them?  Same applies to FindMyPast and I think they are the more vulnerable of the two.

Two other sites I use from time to time are The Genealogist and FamilyRelatives.  I've not been able to access their site since July and they aren't posting on Twitter either.  It looks as they've gone.

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Sunday 06 December 15 15:02 GMT (UK) »

My only concern is the massive amount of information Ancestry has.  What happens to that if something bad happens to them?  Same applies to FindMyPast and I think they are the more vulnerable of the two.

If they go bust, then the records are assets that could be sold to another company willing to take on the business

If a massive computer virus swept through their entire systems including disaster recovery sites then the originals are still available

It's more likely that we haven't got similar measures in place for our own personal data in case of computer crashes, fire, floods etc

Must remember to do a backup...
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Sunday 06 December 15 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I think the subject line says it all.

Just been into ancestry and its a nightmare.  I dont like the new look.

In contrast, I struggled big time with Ancestry and wasn't really a fan of it at all.  Then they made some big changes.  I never really used the "old" Ancestry. The "new" Ancestry is a different matter :)  I'm not struggling with it at all and the fairly recent tweaks have made it even easier.

Just have to make a final comment.  No I didn't like the new ancestry hence the post. :-\ I didn't give it a chance.  Now I am happy with it :D  I don't have a tree but can see others and not too keen on the new look but it is not really a concern. 

I have come full circle.  This has been an interesting thread.

Jane :)

Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Sunday 06 December 15 19:08 GMT (UK) »

If they go bust, then the records are assets that could be sold to another company willing to take on the business

If a massive computer virus swept through their entire systems including disaster recovery sites then the originals are still available

It's more likely that we haven't got similar measures in place for our own personal data in case of computer crashes, fire, floods etc

Must remember to do a backup...

The contents of both my computers is backed up to an external hard drive.  I don't always work from it but hopefully I won't lose anything.  I've heard cloud storage is good.

Could take a while to get such a big site up and running again, especially if it means recopying everything.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Monday 07 December 15 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Two other sites I use from time to time are The Genealogist and FamilyRelatives.  I've not been able to access their site since July and they aren't posting on Twitter either.  It looks as they've gone.

Hi Connie,

I can not access familyrelatives please see this link http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/familyrelativescom-and-gro-overseas-bmd.html but The Genealogist website is working for me. ;)

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Monday 07 December 15 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Connie,

I can not access familyrelatives please see this link http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/familyrelativescom-and-gro-overseas-bmd.html but The Genealogist website is working for me. ;)

Sarah

Marnin' :)

Sorry, that was badly worded.  It was the disappearance of familyrelatives I was referring to.

Thank you for the link.  It does seem the site has slipped away into the clouds.  It was a good site and inexpensive, about 25GBP (IIRC) for an annual sub.  Maybe that was the reason for its disappearance - lack of funds.  It's a shame because they had some data sets others didn't.

It's also answered a question I didn't ask and that was what had happened to the overseas BMDs on FindMyPast.  Small wonder I couldn't find them but thank goodness for The Genealogist, not only in having them as well but also that individual parts are searchable.  I feel a Diamond sub coming on ;)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Monday 07 December 15 12:25 GMT (UK) »

It's also answered a question I didn't ask and that was what had happened to the overseas BMDs on FindMyPast. 

If you go to A - Z of record sets and type "overseas" in the box that comes up, it gives you a list of the overseas bmd records that FindMyPast has.

Not so easy to find as on the old search, but not gone away.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Monday 07 December 15 13:13 GMT (UK) »

If you go to A - Z of record sets and type "overseas" in the box that comes up, it gives you a list of the overseas bmd records that FindMyPast has.

Not so easy to find as on the old search, but not gone away.

I'll have to do that then add the direct link to a growing list.  It's the easiest way to find what I want.

I really don't understand why sites have to keep fiddling with them.  They seem to change them (the sites) to the way the IT people think they should be used, rather than the way they are actually used.

Like the latter part of the subject line says: If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Monday 07 December 15 19:27 GMT (UK) »
I have a question please.

In the new style trees they put "facts" in whether you want them or not. I am mainly talking about where they record the births etc of a persons children in their timeline, although their interesting facts inserts of what was happening in the wider word are just as annoying.

My question is, is there anyway I can stop these "facts" automatically being added to a tree ?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.