Author Topic: Cannot find 73 Albert Street, Glasgow in a 1921 Directory, regarding 1923 query?  (Read 5389 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find 73 Albert Street, Glasgow in a 1921 Directory, regarding 1923 query?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 September 15 10:28 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that it was more likely he moved house as there was no renumbering at that time - the renumbering and renaming of streets came later on in the 20's and was when the whole street was renamed McAslin Street.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find 73 Albert Street, Glasgow in a 1921 Directory, regarding 1923 query?
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 September 15 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrea and Falkyrn

I have printed the 1920 & 1925 Valuation Rolls off, for comparison.

At No. 2 Albert Street, Townhead, Glasgow on the 1925 Valuation Poll, they have inserted a Schoolroom of the "Glasgow Education Authority" and changed each number from the 1920 Valuation Roll, up by one house number.

Number and name in 1920. Number in 1925

3 Daniel Sutherland, sawyer - now Number 4
4 James Kelly, Taxi driver - now Number 5
5 Alfred Hood, soldier - now Mrs Margaret Hood Number 6
6 Mrs Jane Rice - now Number 7
7 James Waggett, clerk - now Mrs Susannah Waggett Number 8.
8 James Johnston, timekeeper - now Mrs Sarah Still Number 9. (move or new payer).
9 Richard Byers, plater - now William Byers, Engineer Number 10.
10 John Hamill, printer - now Number 11.
71 Mrs Annie Aikenhead - now Number 72.
72 Alexander M'Dougall, packer - now Number 73.
73 Mrs Alice Campbell - now James Stewart, labourer Number 74. (move or new payer).
74 John Fitzsimmons, millworker - now Number 75.

So the 1920 numbers have been renumbered and simply moved up by one number, by 1925.

I should imagine there must be a notice in the Glasgow newspaper when the renumbering officially took place, so we ought to be able to establish (hopefully), who was due to pay the Rate/Property tax at the address, around the February 1923 birthdate.

Mark

EDIT: I think I have taken the Valuation Roll Number, incorrectly as the house numbers?

I happen to have a 1924 / 1925 Valuation Roll for Kenmure Castle and surrounding properties and it seems that the house name (or house number) appears in the "Description and Situation of Subject" column?

So number:-
73 Albert Street in 1920 was Johnstone Wardlaw, a hawker?
73 Albert Street in 1925 was Alexander Watson, a carter?

I am sorry, perhaps someone will be kind enough to confirm?

Mark

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 September 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
Having re examined the images I believe that the numbers on the left are simple indexing numbers used for the Rolls the street numbers look to be on the right of the image after the property description. (This would make the entries  in both images for 117 Albert Street)

Some years prior to this period Glasgow had already adopted the system whereby Odd numbers in a street were on one side and even numbers on the other so "inserting" a building wouldn't make number 72 into 73.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 September 15 13:24 BST (UK) »
This section from the 1913 Valuation roll shows the indexing system is different to the street numbering system

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 September 15 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Falkyrn and Andrea

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, I agree the left column is simply the Valuation Roll numbering or indexing. The property numbers, are the numbers in the column to the right.

This earlier 1913 Valuation Roll for 73 Albert Street Townhead Glasgow, indicates No. 73 was held by Trustees in 1913 and it appears quite a few lived there as Tenants. A few surnames are still recognisable in the 1920 Roll.

The Proprietor (owner) of 73 were:- The Trustees of Mrs Margaret C. Stobbs, per Thomas Stobbs & Sons, ...

Trustees, suggest possibly a Will could still exist. However, it should also be in the Property Registers (Sasines in Scotland) regarding ownership?

The 1920 Post Office Directory states:-
Stobbs, Thomas & Sons, property valuators, house factors and insurance agents, 70 South Portland St.

It sounds as though the owner may have died and the property ownership is held in Trust and being managed by an Estate Agent / Valuer.

Many thanks and kind regards, Mark

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 September 15 14:44 BST (UK) »
Just adding this link here from RC on a new post for further background www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730461.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 September 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
Just adding this link here from RC on a new post for further background www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730461.0

Monica

Hello Monica

I live in the Midlands of England and been in touch with Katie's sister over the Atlantic by email, after her sister made an appeal on another Forum, when a request for their father's Scottish Birth Certificate had already come back no trace.

I contacted off board and we have been making slow, but steady progress. They knew their father had emigrated to Canada on the same ship, as Robert Cochran Harvey, a Cinema Manager (Robert Cochrane Harvey on the May 1926 Marriage Certificate) and his wife Margaret Annie Harvey, nee Burke (Margaret Harvey on the ships list).

However, the Outgoing Passenger List had Alexander MacKay travelling with the Harvey's, but this name, was not the name they knew their father by, so the MacKay name was previously overlooked.

After some checks, I came to the conclusion that their father must have changed his name, from another name, after arriving in Canada, his new name being found in Canadian Voters Registers about a decade later. That is when I searched the Passenger Lists and discovered Alexander MacKay on the same contract ticket.

The sisters then got secondary confirmation from a contact in Scotland who knew the Harvey's sons, that their father was known by McKie, previously.

I managed to find the Cinema Manager, Robert Harvey appeared in a number of Scottish Newspapers - three times in 1934; 1935; twice in 1937; 1938; 1943 and 1948 including two photos of him, at Cinemas in Scottish locations and other information, one in 1943 when Harvey failed to black-out the Playhouse Cinema Perth and the 1943 address checked out, with the Perth address that appears on the 1948 Shipping list.

So we began to build up a documented picture, which corroborated with the verbal information the sisters already had recorded.

The sisters are pursuing other enquiries too and assistance has also been given by a very helpful Registrar, I hear.

Kind regards and thank you, Mark

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 September 15 11:40 BST (UK) »
You have been doing a great job there, Mark  :)

One avenue that was mentioned before is the possibility of a poor relief application having been made by Margaret McKay around the time of son Alexander's birth and for a few years after before Alexander went to live with the Harveys. This type of search needs to be done in person at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow or an email request and copies then sent by post. There may not be any applications to be found though.

Just been helping someone in the last couple of months who lives in Australia. Her grandfather's story very similar to Alexander's between 1910-25. The poor relief applications copies arrived finally in Australia this week. The info contained there was so very personal and detailed and answered many of the impossible questions.

A route worth exploring, if nothing else simply to know it was checked and dismissed.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 September 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica

Thank you for suggesting the possibility of a Poor Law application, being made by the mother.

Kind regards Mark