Author Topic: Cannot find 73 Albert Street, Glasgow in a 1921 Directory, regarding 1923 query?  (Read 5319 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello All

I live in the Midlands of England and seeking any help please, regarding a Glasgow [Townhead?] address, given as:-
73 Albert Street Glasgow, mentioned in a February 1923 Certificate.

Albert Street is page 728 in the 1921-1922 Post Office Glasgow Street Directory (Internet Archive) at:-

https://archive.org/details/postofficean192122glas

But where is 73 please, as I am trying to discover who lived there? This was a Post Office Directory, so I would have thought all addresses would be listed? I see on a Pdf download (searchable) that Albert Street either "intersects" or is given "here" at a number of named streets, in this directory.

The address is specifically listed here of the Glasgow Registration Districts, so it did seem to exist ...
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Images/Glasgow.pdf

Albert Street 10 - 24 (cons.) [Consecutive]
Albert Street Police Office (Govan)
Albert Street, Possil Road
Albert Street, Townhead 73 - 239 (odd)

But who lived at 73 please?

A link to a National Library of Scotland Glasgow street map, would also be most helpful too, to indicate where 73 was?

Many thanks, Mark

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find 73 Albert Street, Glasgow in a 1921 Directory, regarding 1923 query?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
There were 4 Albert Streets in Glasgow, all of which changed their names at one time or another.  I don't know what year they changed.

Albert St in Townhead became McAslin St.

The others were....
Albert Street, Govan.....Orkney Street
Albert Street, Highburgh Road   .....Beaumont Gate
Albert Street,off Possil Road....Rock Street

I hope this might help you.

Dave

Modified, but only my spelling!  there / their  Careless  :D
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find 73 Albert Street, Glasgow in a 1921 Directory, regarding 1923 query?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 12:11 BST (UK) »
The name changes and reorganisation started in the 1920's possibly 1923 although later Post Office Directories still list 4 different Albert Streets.

As far as entry in the Post Office Directories these were mostly paid entries and not everyone contributed.

A better source might be the Valuation Rolls for 1920 and 1925 which are available on Scotlands People. The problem there is that as the majority of people rented their properties they often moved.

The Albert Street in Townhead ran from Glebe Street Westwards to Dobbies Loan and St James Road. The original McAslin Street was west of that junction and the two streets (Albert & McAslin) were basically continuous.

Pictures of McAslin Street can be seen at the Virtual Mitchell Library at
http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/index.php?a=street&s=gallery&key=rYToxOntpOjA7czoxMDoiTWNBc2xpbiBTdCI7fQ==

A Map showing the original Streets from 1912 can be seen at the NLS
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400475

PS from the photographs it looks like it was a tenement property and there could have been up to 12 different families living there.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 23:05 BST (UK) »
There were 4 Albert Streets in Glasgow, all of which changed their names at one time or another.  I don't know what year they changed.

Albert St in Townhead became McAslin St.

The others were....
Albert Street, Govan.....Orkney Street
Albert Street, Highburgh Road   .....Beaumont Gate
Albert Street,off Possil Road....Rock Street

I hope this might help you.

Dave

Modified, but only my spelling!  there / their  Careless  :D

Hello Dave
Thank you,
Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 23:08 BST (UK) »
The name changes and reorganisation started in the 1920's possibly 1923 although later Post Office Directories still list 4 different Albert Streets.

As far as entry in the Post Office Directories these were mostly paid entries and not everyone contributed.

A better source might be the Valuation Rolls for 1920 and 1925 which are available on Scotlands People. The problem there is that as the majority of people rented their properties they often moved.

The Albert Street in Townhead ran from Glebe Street Westwards to Dobbies Loan and St James Road. The original McAslin Street was west of that junction and the two streets (Albert & McAslin) were basically continuous.

Pictures of McAslin Street can be seen at the Virtual Mitchell Library at
http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/index.php?a=street&s=gallery&key=rYToxOntpOjA7czoxMDoiTWNBc2xpbiBTdCI7fQ==

A Map showing the original Streets from 1912 can be seen at the NLS
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400475

PS from the photographs it looks like it was a tenement property and there could have been up to 12 different families living there.

Hello Falkyrn
Thank you,
Mark

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 15 04:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

Have attached the 1925 valuation roll for you. Not sure if the name at no. 73 Albert Street will help but at least it will rule something out if nothing else! If this image is too big can someone please modify for me?  Thanks  :)

Kind regards,
Andrea

Copyright image cropped.
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 September 15 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrea

Thank you very much.

I wondered if there was also an earlier 1921/22 Roll image please and if the same person Alexander McDougall was living at 73 Albert Street?

If the same person was living there earlier in 1921/22, then it may possibly indicate why the boy, may have been named Alexander, or it was a coincidence. Unfortunately, the father was not given in early 1923.

Kind regards Mark

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 September 15 06:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

1920 Valuation Roll attached with Alexander McDougall living at no. 72 Albert St so either he moved or the houses were renumbered by 1925!  Mrs Alice Campbell is showing as living at no. 73 on this one.  Are we able to help you with anything else?

Regards,
Andrea

Copyright imaged cropped.
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 September 15 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrea

Thank you very much, I see that John Fitzsimmons has changed one house number too, in Albert Street, Glasgow. Could be as you suggest renumbering.

Renumbering, to change these houses by one number, when they could insert an 'A' after a number? Mind you, local authorities do crazy things!

Kind regards Mark