Author Topic: Buersil House, Rochdale 1911-1925 and the family of Robert William Schofield  (Read 2549 times)

Offline planehome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Trying to find information for my mother-in-law about the Schofield family living at at Buersil House, Rochdale in the 1911 census.  In particular, interested in daughter Olive May Schofield born 1904.  Did she have a child in 1925 ?
Lane - in Wiltshire up to 1891
Lane - in Liverpool from 1891
Coventry - on the Wirral and in Liverpool
Mitchell - St Pancras, London
Mitchell - Sheffield
Schofield - Rochdale up to 1925
Wood - Sheffield

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Buersil House, Rochdale 1911-1925 and the family of Robert William Schofield
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:02 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry that suggests she is Olive Mary Schofield who married Walter Horridge in 1925

Marriage Mar 1925 
Horridge    Walter   
Schofield    Olive M   
Rochdale    8e   2

Freebmd has a birth registration for her in Sept qtr 1903 Rochdale reg district
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Buersil House, Rochdale 1911-1925 and the family of Robert William Schofield
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I should have said welcome to rootschat  :)

There is an incoming passenger list Southampton 23 February 1925 from Buenos Aires for a Walter (37) and Olive Mary (age 21) -

They went out there on January 9th 1925.  His occupation was Printer and the 'home' address was Bury, Lancashire

Rosie

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:15 BST (UK) »
There are these births registered to Horridge, mother Schofield from FreeBMD.

Births Mar 1924
Horridge    Edna    Schofield    Bolton    8c   522    
Births Mar 1926   
Horridge    John W S S    Schofield    Bury    8c   784a    
Horridge    Male    Schofield    Bury    8c   784

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:18 BST (UK) »
Reading your other posts I presume this one is eliminated from your enquiry  :-\

Offline planehome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:23 BST (UK) »
There is some confusion in family trees i have seen on Ancestry between Olive May Schofield born in 1904 (the one living at Buersil House in 1911) and Olive Mary Schofield born in 1903.

I believe that it is Olive Mary Schofield (born 1903) who married Burridge and not my Olive May Schofield (born 1904).

A number of other people have assumed that the census is misinterpreted and attached Olive Mary to the Buersil House family and hence to the Horridge marriage, which I believe to be incorrect.  Of course, I may be totally wrong! >:(

Also the Schofield/Horridge marriage took place in 1925, whilst the May Schofield that I am trying to locate gave birth to a child in Birmingham in October 1925 .... who was then adopted.  I assume that my May Schofield then returned to Rochdale.

Mitchell - Sheffield
Wood - Sheffield

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:48 BST (UK) »
The only birth registration for a Olive May Schofield on the GRO index 1901-1905 is in Wolverhampton 1905.

There is however a birth registration in Rochdale reg district for a May Schofield (no other names) in June qtr 1903.  Does the birth certificate that shows 'May' as the mother give any other first names or initials for her.

We are not allowed to do 1911 census lookups  but there is a possibility for a May c1903 (no other names) in Rochdale on there

Offline planehome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 September 15 13:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your thoughts on this - it is confusing and quite difficult.

The birth certificate only refers to May Schofield.  However, in the 1911 census, I could only find six May Schofields (allowing for May as a second name) in Rochdale.  The Olive May Schofield that I have focussed on seems to be the only one from a family that could have afforded to send their daughter from Rochdale to Birmingham for the birth and to have had such contacts.  The others have fathers who are labourers or in apparently lower paid jobs - I assume that there would be much easier and cheaper locations for these daughters to be sent to have a baby out of wedlock.

Oh, the uncertainty of it all !
Mitchell - Sheffield
Wood - Sheffield

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 September 15 13:37 BST (UK) »
Robert William Schofield of Buersil House, Rochdale died in 1929. Probate was granted to his wife Olive Middleton Schofield, Walter Horridge  (calico printer) and Leslie Shaw (chartered accountant)

I think I would be ruling this Olive May out  ;)