Author Topic: Gipsy Dan Boswell  (Read 164600 times)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gipsy Dan Boswell
« Reply #414 on: Thursday 09 February 17 22:21 GMT (UK) »
 this is our we must try to research, on the census records,  look here how there is a Wiltshire a Wilsher and a Wiltshaw, now look at the address, then the bottom post about sums up the talk

Saturday 13 February 1926 Sheffield Independent South Yorkshire
False Pretences. Three charges of obtaining money by false pretences were admitted at Barnsley, yesterday, two Sheffield hawkers. Henry Wiltshaw, van dweller, of March street, Attercliffe, and Charles William Taylor, 3/2, Stafford street. Park, Sheffield. They were each fined 20s. and placed on probation for 12 months.

£205 IN CARAVAN. ROBBERY WITH VIOLENCE CHARGE SEQUEL. When Joseph Willey, and Samuel Morclon.  were charged at Sheffield, yesterday, with robbery with violence, it was alleged that they attacked Henry Wilsher. living in caravan March street. Sheffield, with sticks, and stole from him      8 Janary 1927 Sheffield Independent South Yorkshire

Wednesday 2 October 1918 Sheffield Evening Telegraph South Yorkshire
SHEFFIELD POLICE. To=Day’s Cases. Raid on Van Dwellers. the Sheffield Police Court, to-day. before Mr. E. Wild and Councillor Blanchard, Thomas Wiltshire, of March Street, Atterdiffe, was charged with failing to report for military service. His brother, Henry Wiltshire, of the same address, was charged with a similar offence. The defendants were hawkers, and dwelt in vans. Early this morning the vans, huts and tents at the end of March Street

these above are just extracts I hope to put more up of the writings later,more details I have found offer more clues,

I just want to say also to Relations of the future who find these words that you are to know that what I am about to tell you is true, of course you have read much of the writers of the past and evan the times you now live in, how names were transcribed wrong, how the local accent could of changed how people transcribed the names of People you search for, and true this makes you job of researching a hard task, but let me help you where maybe others can not, when I was young I was the only one to ask, the only one to think of the Past, I was the only one who wanted to know, through this wanting many times just me and my Mother would often just sit and talk, I could see and feel Her going back, those same Far Away Eyes, George Smith had them, Levi and Ria had them, so did Letty, and I stole them all, and still have them, but long before the internet, long before I had evan read a single book, long before I had the Good Luck and Fortune to talk to so many Gipsies of this day and true learn also from them evan thoe I was already set in my ways never to alter, well my Mother would talk of the Older Folk, Relations, we would talk much, the strange thing all of a sudden She also would say a Romany Word that I had never heard Her say before, you know She said there was so much of the Old Talk but now everyone's gone , sure there was mostly now only me to talk to, in the Old Words, that's why the Words would just go to sleep,

but the thing I want  Relations who look for the Ones I write about to know is long ago they often new about which name to use, it was no mistake, just out of the blue one day when having the talk with my Mother She just randomly said, they used to have big debates, they used to be going on about which Name is the true one, my Mother teled me this long ago and me not knowing what She was going on about, I just thought a Name was a Name, but She would say they would switch names about but they really new they were all Related evan those if you where mostly named Wilshaw in 1880, you would say that was the true Name, yes they were having debates among themselves of such things long long ago as past down to me as was past down to my Mother as now I give to you freely, you must know these things, in time you will see how they evan fight each other, don't read to much into this, its just the way, Gipsies fight their own more than strangers, you would think them crackers but that's just the truth of it, don't read to much into such things,
of course through time lots of People with the same Name may not be the same People, all sorts of things happen in the history of Familys, do not trouble yourself with worrying to much of these things also, writers place to much truth in honest or dishonest lies,

so if any one could answer my question I would be most grateful indeed, I also would like to know   does the name Walter link back straight to the Grahams Knights, or evan the Nelsons, no offence against the name Walter, but you don't see many People with that name, I bet its a past down Name and the clues I give for you to help me is all I have, not saying anything I have learned from learning is true , no never just everything from my Mother was how it was told me, that is the truth I am giving you, all I would like is an answer to the question how was Walter Related to William

Tuesday 6 October 1908 Derbyshire Courier
POACHINQ AFFRAY. Another “Suspect’’ in Custody. ‘‘l am innocent ; i know nothing about it,” was the answer of Thomas Wiltshire, alias Wilshaw and Wilsher, who until recently resided at 40, Apple Street, Sheffield, and occupation is a hawker, who was brought up to Court on Monday, on a charge of having inflicted greivous bodily harm on Sergeant Butchby and Police-constable Aves, at Tolley, 

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: Thursday 16 February 17 19:07 GMT (UK) »
 " no offence against the name Walter, but you don't see many People with that name"

this above is what I wrote on my last post I thought Walter was an unusual name but on looking I have found quite a few Walters evan those Top Names like Boswell and Smith have Walters, I thought I might write about every Walter I find then I changed my mind for I have got to much to do already, so I'll only put these on to set the record straight about how I thought how there was not many Walters about, it was just a good true mistake on my part, for I only know what I know and I am learning the rest on the hoof, so Respect to all the Walters, and I hope through my triumphs and disasters at what ever level, others who in this day or the future may be able to find which they look for 

Yorkshire Evening Post Monday 2 September 1901

A HUDDERSFIELD HORSE DEALER'S THREAT.

At the Police Court, Huddersfield, to-day, Edward Wiltshire (47), hawker and horse dealer, Bradley, was charged with having used threats to Walter Smith in Huddersfield fair ground on Tuesday last. The men had known each other for over thirty years, but raised a feud over some disagreement at Bradford. Meeting again at Huddersfield, the old grievance was re-ventilated, and culminated in Wiltshire issuing a threat. According to the evidence of a police-officer, he went to earth on his knees, raised his hands towards heaven, and said,
" I call upon God and all you people here to witness that I will kill that man (Walter Smith) before morning."   bound over to keep the peace for six months and ordered to pay 15s. 6d. costs.

Walsall Advertiser 26 October 1895

STUBBERS GREEN

A Savage Attack.—As savage an attack as not been experienced for some time by many resident of Stubbers Green, near Aldridge, was perpetrated on Samuel Duckhouse, brickmaker, Stubbers Green, by gypsies named respectively as Walter, Adolphus, and Florrie (alias Rebecca) Boswell .on Oct. 6th. He was passing their camp about 10.10 p.m. on his way home from Aldridge when he was asked for a match. He replied that he had not got one, but was immediately struck down by Walter Boswell. Witness gathered himself up and was making for home when he was further assaulted by the other two Boswells. He preferred charges of assault against them at Bushall on Monday. Neither of the accused put in an appearance, but had returned the summons by post from Brewood to complainant smeared with ink and dirt. Duckhouse also produced a watch, which he had been wearing at the time, and which was very much damaged. The defendants had since left the neighbourhood.—The Chairman, in sentencing them each to one calendar month’s imprisonment with hard labour, said it was a very serious offence

Nottingham Evening Post Wednesday 6 June 1923

VAN DWELLERS FINED.

James Johnson, Tom Smith, Walter Boswell, and Samuel Boswell. van dwellers, were to-day at Loughborough charged with trespassing in search of game Shepshed. Defendants did not appear. The evidence was that their dogs chased a hare through several fields, and a catapult was found in the possession of one of them. They were each fined 20s.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: Thursday 16 February 17 22:10 GMT (UK) »
 just encase People who are looking for the same People that I look for, don't be thinking just be course sometimes their fighting or what not that it means anything, if it does it just means that there all Pals really, the Smiths are Relations to my Mother, they are Great True Rip Roaring Gipsies of the Old Times, these are just a few of the records of them,

Nottingham Evening Post Wednesday 30 November 1921

"JIST A BIT OF A TEMPER."
NOTTM. COMPLAINANT SAYS SHE DESERVED WHAT SHE GOT.

When William Wiltshire, jun.. 23, hawker. 7, Glasshouse-street. Nottingham, appeared in the dock at the Guildhall to-day charged with assaulting Nellie Smith, the latter, on-going into the witness-box, said, "I want this case to be  dismissed", the Chairman (Mr. W. Davis): Withdrawn you mean Complainant: Yes. It, was just a bit of a temper. I deserved what I got. The case was accordingly withdrawn.

Leeds Mercury Saturday 30 December 1922

HAWKKRS’ FREE FIGHT. Lively Dispute Over Ownership of a Horse.   exciting scene at Sheffield yesterday. The premises of Mark Smith, hawker, Infirmary-road, were visited by two other hawkers each named William Wilsher, Father and son. the Fairground Penistone. the object of the visit was reported to be to recover a horse alleged to be held bv Smith as security for a loan. Right of possession of the horse was disputed, and a free fight ensued in which sticks and stones were used with considerable effect. While it was in process a supporter on the side of the Wilshers mounted the horse, and was pursued by a detective in a taxi-cab, he rode away and had got away a quarter of mile before he was stopped When other police had stopped the fight the two Wilshers and Smith, all suffering  from scalp wounds and bruises, were  conveyed to the Infirmary for treatment, and afterwards to the police-station, but they refused to prefer any charge, and were allowed to go.

Sheffield Independent 7 July 1931

ALLEGED POLISH FRAUD.

At Worksop The Police charged yesterday, William Wiltshire and William Henry Smith, of Owlerton Feast Ground, Sheffield, both caravan dwellers,  who were charged with obtaining Is. 6d. by false pretences  Police-constable Townsend said defendants sold  a bottle of coloured water for French polish.Defendants were remanded accordingly.

now look at these two posts of records of Kelks Yard, there is a Pedlar who lived there who was charged with a Walter Smith, then one of the many William Wiltshires was there to

Nottingham Evening Post 22 August 1914

Three months' imprisonment was the punishment meted out to Walter Smith, 38. hawker. Sherwood street, and Robert Cunningham. 29, pedlar, Kelk’s yard. who were convicted at the Nottingham Police-Court to-day on a charge of stealing two metal watches, a joiner’s bass containing tools, and other goods, value 30s., belonging to Cornelius Bennett, of Sheridan-street. Evidence was given that the two prisoners had lodged at prosecutor's house, and that about midnight on August 15th Bennett's daughter heard voices and informed her father, who going downstairs found the door open. The lodgers had left, but Bennett subsequently saw Smith, who had the_ watches, and was wearing the waistcoat which did not belong to him. Cunningham was stopped by P.c. Wilkinson a little later and in reply to the charge of stealing pleaded guilty. Smith, however, said that the officer could not charge him, adding that he preferred to go to the Assizes.

Nottingham Evening Post Monday May 30   Extract

A case illustrative of the long arm of the law came before Messrs. T. Ships tone and J. E. Pendleton at the Nottingham Summons Court to-day, when William Wiltshire, alias Hartley, of 1, Kelk's-yard, Count-street, Nottingham,

now look at these two posts below I just find them on the internet, truthfully I do not know what is true, these are just written records about St Anns Street,  look below it says Henry Wiltshire was there in 1934, then in 1837 Joseph and Lydia are there, same place, i think these People came to Nottingham over several generations, time and time again,

Monday 17 september 1934 nottingham evening post

GENTLEMAN AND HIS LADY FRIENDS.
NOTTM. DRUNKENNESS CHARGE.

When Henry Wiltshire, 50, hawker, of St. Ann'street, appeared before the magistrates with two women companions at the Nottingham Guildhall to-day, jointly charged with being drunk and disorderly in Milton-street on Saturday night, he declared himself to be a "gentleman," and took it upon himself the full blame for the lapse of the women. The women were Ellen Smith, 27, and Rose Ann Stranther, 40. Referring to one of them, Wiltshire declared :" My son married this woman's sister, and I had not seen this girl for a few years. They are here through me getting them drunk. "Its my fault." The Bench however, imposed fines. Wiltshire and Smith were fined the higher amounts

Joseph and Lydia Wilsher had a daughter Mary Ann baptised at Normanton on Trent 15th Sep 1816. Then there is a baptism on freereg for Lydia d/o Joseph and Lydia Wiltshire of Saint Ann's St., tin man, Nottingham St. Mary, 22nd Jan 1837. This Lydia would fit agewise with the widowed Lydia Elliott who is with Richard and Mary on the 1871 census and make her sister to Mary.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: Saturday 18 February 17 20:26 GMT (UK) »
  I want to correct another error, its so easy to transcribe writings wrong, in the record of David Woodward and Thomas Willshaw Hawkers of Sheffield I wrote that they stole coats, but on seeing another record it says goats, meerrr, i try to read several records of the same story and believe me you find so much more information this way, if any one can find the Woodwards in any census with the People I search for I would be most grateful to you, look at the Address of Broad street, I will put more on in a minute of this place, then see how you may connect Names and Locations, I know there are many ways to slip up in researching this way, but I have to try , evan mistakes are a true part of honest research and should be acknowledge as the right way to go on

Derbyshire 1884

Derbyshire Quarter Sessions

Alleged False Pretences.

Thomas Willshaw, 17, hawker, and David Woodward. 17, hawker, were indicted for obtaining. by means of false pretences, two coats, value £1 Is., the property of  Ann Chatterton. At Glossop, on the 2nd of September, 1884. —No doubt the men had obtained the goods and disposed of them. The question was whether there was any agreement to purchase them. If they thought the prisoners agreed to purchase the goods even if they did not pay for them, they could find no bill,   and then there would be question of debt. If they thought there was no contract to purchase the goods, then unquestionably the prisoners did obtain them by means of false pretence. He thought they would be able to find a bill, if the two witnesses adhered to what they said before the magistrates. After hearing several witnesses the Chairman said he did not think the case was one for a jury, the case broke down, and the prisoners were discharged.         

this is what is the true record

Sheffield Independent Thursday 18 September 1884

Charge against Sheffield Men. — Yesterday, at the New Mills Police Court, two young men, named respectively as David Woodward and Thomas Willshaw, earthenware hawkers, residing in Broad street lane, Sheffield, were brought up on remand on a charge of obtaining by false pretences two goats, valued at £1. ls., from Ann Chatterton, at New Mills, on August 30th. Prisoners sold one of the goats to Hugh Crookes, a Sheffield poultry dealer, and were apprehended by the Sheffield police. They were defended by Mr. Broadsmith, solicitor, who contended that they were men of good character, and had been entrusted by the prosecutrix to sell the animals, but were arrested before they had an opportunity of restoring the money. After a hearing extending! over two hours, they were both committed for trial at the Sessions, but allowed bail in two sureties of £25 each.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: Saturday 18 February 17 20:43 GMT (UK) »
        these are just a few of the records of the Woodwards I have wrote of, there is a great many more you have to read back in the many posts in these writings to read the fuller accounts,  I will put more up later I'm just trying to connect People through Names and locations, if anyone can find any census reports for me I would be most grateful                                 

Gloucestershire  1891 

Petty Sessions, Berkley,  Thursday.Joseph Wiltshire, Mary Ann Woodward, and Jemima Gasby,
Gipsies travelling with vans, were arrested and brought up under a warrant charging them with assaulting and beating William Coles Harding, farmer and dealer, of Sanigar. It appeared from the evidence that the prisoners visited the Bell Inn at Berkeley Heath, and there being some dispute as to a broken cup,Complainant deposed that he was sitting outside the Bell talking to three or four other farmers and dealers, and heard the Landlord, Mr Hooper, ask defendants to pay for a cup they had broken. Wiltshire was very abusive, and complainant told him he had belter pay and get off  Wiltshire took off his coat, and thereupon caught complainant by the hands and butted his head into his face several times, causing severe bruises. Harding then defended himself,  He put prisoner on his back on the ground, and then the two females "pitched into" witness. Woodward struck him with her fists, and knew how to use them. As there was a further charge against the prisoners, sentence was deferred. They were then charged, together with William Gasby, with assaulting and beating John Charles Hooper, landlord of the Bell inn, who said, when the fracas with Mr. Harding was finished, Wiltshire came and knocked him down unawares. As soon as he was down the four prisoners pitched into him and dragged him about. Gasby tripped him several times when he went to help Mr. Harding.
They hammered him about for five minutes.  The four prisoners pleaded for leniency. The bench considered Wiltshire the worst to blame, and he was sentenced to 14 days' imprisonment with hard labour for the assault on Harding, and 14 days' further hard labour for the assault on Hooper. Woodward and Jemima Gasby were each fined and William Gasby was fined 

Bakewell Petty Sessions 1881

A Gipsy Encampment At Stoke 

Joseph Wiltshire, Attercliffe Common, summoned for making a bonfire on the side of the highway on the 26th of May in the parish of Stoke, to the danger of the public— Defendant did not appear. sergeant Fern stated that he found the defendant camping at the side of the highway, there was within three feet from the side the road and 50 feet from the centre of the road  a large fire, He told him he had been repeatedly warned and being of no use, he would summon him. defendant was very abusive when spoken to about the illegality of this " ho" he replied "I know nineteen points of the law, and I,ll  teach you the twentieth." He was a low pot hawker and gipsy horse dealer. cloths were hanging out to dry by the side of the road, and there appeared to be quite a small colony of the tribe camping on the side of the road with a roaring fire. Fined 2s. 6d 10s. 6d. costs.

Keeping a Dog Without a Licence

The same defendant was also summoned for keeping a dog without a license at the same time and place as the above. Sergeant Fern proved the case and the Bench imposed penalty of 5s. 10d with 10s. 6d. costs

Allowing A Horse To Stray.

A third summons was also issued against the same defendant for allowing a horse to stray on the highway, the parish of Sheldon on the 27th of May. Alcock proving the case said i was on the road leading from Ashford to Taddington, about 10.30 p.m.  when I came upon some horses straying in the road, and further on a large fire by the side of the road and two wagons. it appears that Wiltshire having removed from Stoke made his way to the picturesque valley of Taddington Dale where he pitched up his tent but he found no peace evan there.  fined 1s. and 10s. 6d. costs.

Another Gipsy's Horse at Large.

Emmanuel Woodward, a gipsy hawker, traveling in the company of Wiltshire was summoned by P.c Alcock, of Taddington, for permitting  a horse to stray on the highway between Ashford and Taddington, on the 27th of May. .fined ls. and 10s. 6d. costs 

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: Saturday 18 February 17 20:51 GMT (UK) »
so up above you read David and Thomas, Woodward and Willshaw  earthenware hawkers, lived at a place in Sheffield named Broad Street, well a lane around there, now look at these records  with Broad Street as the Address

Sheffiel Independent 17 September 1885

Alleged Serious Assault. — Joseph Wilshaw, hawker, 3 court, Broad street lane, who is said to have been a professional boxer, was charged with an assault upon Emma Pashley, fish hawker, broad street. Park. — The complainant and her son were at Mr. Brook- field's public-house at. the corner of Brook street and Sheaf street, where the defendant was, and, according to complainant's case, the defendant struck her in the face and on the body, knocked her down, and while on the floor put his fingers in her mouth and attempted to pull her tongue out. She also stated that he kicked' her. — Witnesses were called on both sides, and that the magistrates eventually intimated that they considered complainant had exaggerated the circumstances in accusing the defendant of the brutal conduct imputed to him, but they believed an assault was committed, and they inflicted a fine of 10s. and costs.

Sheffield Weekly Telegraph 19 September 1885

A “Bruiser. "—Joesph Wilshaw, hawker. 3 Court, Broad Street lane, Park, was summoned for Emma Pashby, fish hawker. —According to the complainant, she entered Brookfield’s public house, in Broad street, on the previous evening, for the purpose of selling shellfish,
 when her son and the defendant had “ a few words" as to his capability of fighting; but the defendant said he (defendant) had “given up fighting.” The complainant was  interfering, so the defendant seized her, and put his hand in her mouth, and tried to pull her tongue out. and injured the inside of her cheek.—Defendant denied the assault, and said the complainant struck him.—The Bench said the complainant had exaggerated her case, but defendant would be fined 10s. and costs; in default 14 days.

Sheffield Evening Telegraph Tuesday 1 November 1910 Extract

MISSING LEAD.

Curious Story in Sheffield Police Court.  . Two cousins, named Thomas Wilshaw and James Wilshaw. hawkers, the former living in Nelson Yard, Broad Street, and the latter in Pitt Street, wore charged with stealing l cwt. 3 quarters load of lead , From the promises of the Soho Grinding Wheel Company, of Bridge Street. Mr. A. B. Chambers appeared for the prosecution, and Mr. P. B. Richardson defended. For prosecution, it was stated that on Sunday evening a man named Maurice Hampshire was standing at the corner of Corporation Street and Bridge Street, and he saw two young men on top of a wall just by the company’s premises. They dropped something heavy into street, and there were two other young fellows on scene who gave some assistance. the load was carried through a passage leading towards the river, but Hampshire was unable positively identify either of the accused, though the men he saw were about the same size as prisoner. Police sergeant Matthews saw Thomas Wilshaw in the immediate neighbourhood the same evening, The prisoners were committed the Quarter Sessions, bail being allowed.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: Saturday 18 February 17 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I have found a great many records of the Great Family named Woodward,  one day I will write more truth of them for all the Relitives who will find these words on Roots Chat and who are also Researching,

the Woodwards like all the Gipsies have a Great Sadness about Them, yes some very sad times, I am sure they are Related to the People I write of, if anyone can find any census records with Both of Them on, I would be most obliged if you would be so kind to transcribe them here to help in my Research

Grantham Journal Saturday 9 June 1888

WILLOUGHBY-ON-THE-WOLDS.

Child Suffocated.—On Thursday, the District Coroner held inquest at the Bull's Head Inn, Willoughby-on-the-Wolds, on the body of William Woodward, aged six weeks.—Eliza Woodward, wife of Joseph Woodward, a hawker, said she was the mother of the deceased. They travelled about with a van and a cart. The child slept with her, her husband, and another child two and a half years old, in a covered cart. On Wednesday night, she and her husband got up, leaving the children in bed. Returning, about six o'clock, she found the deceased black. She called in Selina Woodward, and then took the child to a doctor. —Joseph and Selina Woodward gave evidence, and Mr. John Woodward Browne deposed to examining the child. From its appearance attributed death to suffocation. Verdict to that effect was returned.

Stamford Mercury Friday  June 17 1859

. An Inquest was held at Aslackby, by Mr. White, the 14th inst., the body of Henry Woodward, aged six years, son of Joseph Woodward, of Castle Donnington, general dealer. It appears that the boy's father and other hawkers travel about the country with horses in their company. On Sunday morning they left Aslackby, and deceased rode his brown mare, which he had often ridden before. He had no saddle or bridle, only baiter. The mare was not a vicious animal. They went about two miles until they came to a gate across the road. Deceased's father went to the gate first, and got off and opened it, There were four other horses besides the one he was riding, and Woodward, sen. was leading two by reps to the one he was on. Young Woodward was riding another, ' and the fifth horse was loose. When his father got off, the loose horse began kicking the horse deceased was on, who fell under the horse's feet. The horse went over and caught him under the ear with its fetlock. Deceased cried out " Oh, father," and died within two minutes. The loose horse, the buck one, was rather vicious. Phoenix Gray, wanderer about the country without any settled home or occupation was present at the time of the accident and deposed to the above facts. Verdict "accidentally killed by being thrown from mare and kicked by another mare."

Rest in Peace

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: Monday 20 February 17 19:53 GMT (UK) »
 when I found the photos for People at Christmas I found a few pencil drawings I think they are of Johnny Grey and young Pauline Grey by Brain Wade, Brian Wade had His hands blown of in the war, He then learned to draw just with His feet, a remarkable Man, I found quite a bit about His life, it was the same war that I am researching and writing about, well I will not write the article up but it is a great little article about Johnny Grey from Sheffield, all about His life Horse dealing and making things from wood like chairs, I know I write and look for real life truths, but this is real life to, I would recommend anyone interested to have a look, it gives you a true glimpse about the life of Johnny Grey the Romany Gipsy Man I think you would find this small article interesting, I do hope some of His Relatives will also find this and get a copy of the drawings for their Family, if they do not already own one of course, I like to think in my life I may help someone one day in the research I do regarding the People I look for, it is such a shame really I find so many things, but I do hope one of Johnny Greys Relatives read these words one day and in turn they help them to know of true little ways of goings on, and remember to write to the newspaper they will be able to get you a clear copy of the drawings,

Brian Wade completed sketch of Johnny Grey and  Pauline Grey. Aged three, 
 Yorkshire Evening Post 25 February 1935
  GIPSY'S 26 H.P. "HORSE." Car Owned by the Lord Mayor of Leeds Who Was Killed in a Crash.
A limousine that belonged   to the Lord Mayor  Is now used to draw a gipsy caravan up and down Yorkshire.     

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: Sunday 26 February 17 09:44 GMT (UK) »

I was thinking of how good Richard was at researching, He was writing at the beginning of this thread about Daniel Boswell, it was Richard who showed me how to search the Newspaper Archives, so then I backtracked and again see how He also looked into the Directory Archives in His research, so now I to am copying Him again, I keep finding things so now I will tell anyone who like me does not know anything to also copy me, just look at this one record I found and how you can match up records from different sources to give you a stronger knowledge,

just search the  University of Leicester  Special Collections Online. you will find in them Wrights Directory's and others like Kelly's Directory's, then just put in the words you want to search, I have found much in the Sheffield ones this below is just one example of how you can find things,

this is a report from the Newspaper Archives

A DERBY DISTURBANCE. NOTTM.
                           HAWKER HIS WEALTHY SONS-IN-LAW.

Nottingham 1919

A  melee in the Derby Cattle Market on Friday, in which prisoner was rescued from custody and a constable had to make use of his staff, had a sequel at the police-court to-day. Joseph Wiltshire, hawker, 6, Gedling-street, Nottingham, was fined 10s.  assaulting Pc. Bristow, and for assaulting Special Constable H. A. Wallace (market  superintendent), whom he struck several times on the face and body; while Alfred Smith, dealer,  living in a van at Cotton-lane, was fined 7s. 6d. for fighting. Bristow apprehended Smith and his antagonist, whereupon Wiltshire (the father-in-law of the men) and others intervened and succeeded in getting one of the prisoners away. Wiltshire then ran off, but was stopped by Mr. Wallace who told the Bench that Wiltshire made a mad struggle for freedom. Wiltshire, against whom there were eight previous convictions. including one for police assault, stated that  his sons-in-law had a lot of money in their possession and was afraid they would be robbed.

then in the 1915 1916 Wrights Directory of Nottingham it states that in the Cloths and Wardrobe Dealers column and see also Marine Store Dealers, well Joseph Wiltshire is listed as living at 6a Gedling Street , this is the same Address as the Joseph Wiltshire in the Newspaper Record, I would say it is a strong possibility they are the same People if not the same Family,

on one page of Wrights Records it just says Wardrobe Dealer and does not connect the Marine Store Dealing Name, when browsing the records it could be easy to come across a Name and just think that doesn't sound right, as in He was just selling wardrobes, then you could just avoid the information and move on, then you would be loosing evidence, but through looking on many records from several different sources and ways of researching you find things like an address that combines your research into hard evidence, you could still be wrong but this is the way to find answers, I will put more up another time of the things I find and also a link to the University of Leicester Special Collections Online, I hope this information will be of help for others who like me do not really know much, and again a great thanks to Richard for showing the way
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjk7OqKv63SAhXFB8AKHYy6AfIQFggvMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fspecialcollections.le.ac.uk%2Fcdm%2Fref%2Fcollection%2Fp16445coll4%2Fid%2F339941&usg=AFQjCNFILcIzHjNl4ZmgYGKHB4gtFvIyVg

once you go into this link you can search other city's and towns over hundreds of years, you find People like Razor Grinders living in say Sheffield in say 1880 and an address, its a great way of researching, when you are on the town city or place of your choice plus the timescale just put the words you are searching in the column where its says text search, then if there is a match to your word or words it will show up as a number meaning there are ten matchers, then on the right hand side you scroll down the page numbers and the match up will be highlighted in red, if there are no matchers it will just say zero, but try different ways of spelling or just use your imagination, that brings great results to,

Good Luck
Leahcim