Author Topic: Gipsy Dan Boswell  (Read 164514 times)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gipsy Dan Boswell
« Reply #423 on: Saturday 04 March 17 08:08 GMT (UK) »
 The Rodney Yard Brampton near Chesterfield is one of the old stopping Grounds where lots of my Mothers Relatives passed through over many years of travel, it as long since gone but by using the maps online it is easily found, if you go back in the posts I have wrote you will find more information, Rodney Yard the Peoples and their Story's must be remembered and preserved for the future Generations, i never new of this place nor did I ever hear my Mother say She new, then one day I found it, I to have found many interesting story's of the history and the Peoples that connect in many ways to Brampton, I know I said I was going to write a great account up of these times and People but I will just put up now my last words for another Person in this time or the future to do a far more in-depth analytical research that will help all the Relatives connected to the story's of Brampton,

if you go back many pages in this thread I talk of the Bold Rodney Public House, there is a Great Yard at the back of this Pub, this became a place that Gipsies who like the Wiltshire's who roamed over several Counties  temporally used as a place to keep their Caravans, this yard in time became to, a sort of a settled community to all types of Hawkers and People, some of the times are of great sadness, others, well Gipsies I have found somehow possess in their life the Greatest of humour,
this place is rich in history, you can find the People I write about well back into the 1800s, and forwards to the 1920s, there to are many Big Names and story's of People like the Lees and Smiths who stopped there, I found true story's to of the Woodward's and Wiltshire's, there is much to learn from the story of Brampton, I was told the new building on the site of the old yard were erected in the 1990s, I would like Someone one day to research this place, I was going to do this but now leave it to you, I know you can do it,

I found and have spoken to People who lived and grew up around this place and through my research on the internet and oral history of this time in researching I have found there were several things that all came together to make Brampton the hub for the Gipsies over hundreds of years,
this in what I am telling you is just an outline and a start for your Great Research,

in the fields around Brampton there is a very special clay that was dug from the earth to make pots, mugs bowls and the like, it was renowned for its looks as the unique Chesterfield Earthenware, also there was an abundance of local coal that was next to the clay fields, they the People of Chesterfield then made many many places to make pots, also there were natural waterways that ran through this place that provided the water needed in the process of manufacture of the pots than intern were fired in the kilns, it was a special place where everything in nature came together to create this hub, a place Gipsies found and exploited, I have found much information about the history of clay, coal , waterways and all the peoples, the Gipsies were one of those Peoples, I do know some of you on rootschat have spoken of not all pot dealers are Gipsies, I to have found your research to be true

I remember how the Great Men I found in the 1700s the Herons and the Boswells, and how the Boswell Man said of Himself He was a Man who went about the Country selling mugs, I have researched and read much up of the history of Scotland over hundreds of years, through this research long ago Gipsies became known as Muggers for being People who sell pots and mugs,  then down through the years it became a bad name to be called a Mugger, but really the very old Gipsies were the Muggers for it was them who sold the mugs and pots, I have read Great information about the times that supports this from long ago, it was none Gipsies who called the Old Gipsies muggers, then years later mugger became a rallying cry for others to say you dirty muggers are not real Gipsies, I think through my research people alive now have been influenced by the wrong teachings of others, this is my view through reading the old accounts of the greatest of minds and writers, unknown to many and who's words of history are hidden in dusty papers and silenced, so Brampton its story's and history, may be used as an example, these storys will be replicated around Britain, you will find your People, you will find their history, many many Horses and trades were needed in the history of Brampton, I have found so much, but I will leave it for you, I respect all the Gipsies who passed through that place, I also hope this is just the start for the true story of their life to be told in an honest way, I am just summarising the many thousands of words I was going to write, there is so much more, I will summarise my other researches soon and then I will trouble you no more, try not to pick at my words but use them as a starting point

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjTwv3u9rzSAhUiJcAKHaIFCMEQFggoMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mernick.org.uk%2FBrownJugs%2FBrampton%2FBrampton.htm&usg=AFQjCNGiZeMxMJ36YsM0a8Iejut9bipcRQ

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjV3vCb8bzSAhUsKsAKHXddBlcQFgghMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.picturethepast.org.uk%2Ffrontend.php%3Fkeywords%3DRef_No_increment%3BEQUALS%3BDCCC001305%26pos%3D2%26action%3Dzoom&usg=AFQjCNEZCC6LSpc_KlHw8I6Tk2osDYAazA

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: Sunday 12 March 17 09:03 GMT (UK) »

Hello Everyone

i am now finalising my research that i have been doing around a little Town called Worksop north Nottinghamshire, it was part a massive circuit that my Mothers Relatives used over untold and unknown years, hopefully  in the future or this day this research may be of help to others, there are many Gipsies who came this way, its a massive place for the Smiths, my Mother would sometimes talk of them as they were many over Sutton Mansfield to Worksop, North Nott's , i will summarise this research then leave it there for others to hopefully expand on

I came across in these researchers  a Man who was known as a General Dealer who also traded in Horses, I don't know if He is related in any way to the Gipsies, but through His story's i have now  found many of the People i was looking for

In a magazine called "Retford Life" dated 1 October 2013, there is an article called
"Al Hallows Horror"

it states that there in the 1881 census there is a Joseph White born 1856 also listed in the Kings Royal Irish Hussars,
 the house where He lived was constructed on a plot of land called the "new bulking ground" liston to the story of this house and then learn of Joe White and how His life interacts with the Gipsies

Sheffield Independent Tuesday 6 March 1883 Extract

THE "BEWITCHED HOUSE" AT WORKSOP. THE "GHOST"   The excitement that has arisen at Worksop in con- sequence of the extraordinary manifestations at the house of Joseph White, general dealer, continues unabated. White's houses are  situated in John street, off Sandy lane   White's cottage being adjacent to a pastured field       

click on this link below to learn of the story

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj3-43oz9DSAhXoKsAKHYyqCIIQFghLMAc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.nottingham.ac.uk%2Fmanuscripts%2F2014%2F10%2F31%2Frapping-at-my-chamber-door%2F&usg=AFQjCNFWhu-vp-hw0lBRTEH0bryB5i76Ng&bvm=bv.149397726,d.d2s

Joe White I have found is a great Dealing Man, He owned a plot of land where for generations Gipsies stayed, it was known as "Whites Piece"

this is the place below in the photo links

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjj1aeA0dDSAhWnKMAKHajEAn4QFgghMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.worksopheritagetrail.org.uk%2F&usg=AFQjCNEM5y9RvW9HMejZ9vBBoKvtwrcMtg

click on this link above and a web site will appear then click on where it says photographs, then type in Sandhill,  you may have to type it in twice, sometimes the photos do not come up the first time you try, you will then see a block of seven photographs, the one at the end on the right-hand  side is known as Whites Piece, this is where a great Many Gipsies stayed long ago, it says the photo was from the 1920s but on the link below it now says it is from the 1930s, I do not know which one is right, I do hope this information maybe of help in someone's research, so now click on this link below for the same photo 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjVtraH09DSAhWKIcAKHfzcCwMQFggmMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.picturethepast.org.uk%2Ffrontend.php%3Faction%3Dprintdetails%26keywords%3DRef_No_increment%3BEQUALS%3BNCCN001026%26prevUrl%3D&usg=AFQjCNGMccnJkWGpjl-6DuSwKquz8NEmLQ

I am only summarising this research from Worksop,
remember there will be far more for you to find, this will only be an outline of a much deeper story going back many hundreds of years, I will write of what I have found around Worksop next and then leave it there, if anyone would like to say anything you would be more than welcome

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: Saturday 18 March 17 19:53 GMT (UK) »
 hello, I will now put on a summarised account of my research about the People and their life around Worksop, it will take about three pagers I will edit all the writings into extracts, through my research I wish to help People who are Related, someone once me sent a census from the early 1900s with a Wiltshire married to a Boiling or Boyling, this is the reason I put the report on below, so if your looking for the same People as I am keep an eye open for that Name, also, I put on below the record about the Smiths who had their portraits taken, I think this is of an historical interest, 

Sheffield Independent Thursday 19 September 1889

ALLEGED ATTEMPTED MURDER AT WORKSOP. At Worksop, yesterday, George Starkey, a miner, was charged_ with threatening to blow out ths brains of Mr. J. White, general dealer, of Sandhill, Worksop, on Saturday, September 14th. Prisoner was also charged with using a gun with intent to do bodily harm, or with intent to murder, as would be shown _by the evidence. Prisoner was remanded to Lincoln Gaol for a week, bail being refused.

George White, af Sandhill, Worksop, was then charged with using, threats to Rhoda Starkey, wife of the above- mentioned George Starkey .— Rhoda Starkey said that on the night in question she, her husband, and their little girl were returning home about twenty minutes past eleven, and when near J. White's house, prisoner flew at her husband, hit him in the mouth, cut his lip open, and struck him three times on the head. She told the prisoner he would be summoned for what he had done, as her husband had not retaliated with a single blow, then prisoner and his three brothers set on both of them and ill-used them dreadfully. Prosecutor was knocked down in a passage, and trodden on, and prosecutor deliberately took a running kick at her hand, injuring it severely. The men had four dogs with them. She went about in bodily fear.— Remanded for a week,  bailed  on surety of £10.

Sheffield Independent Wednesday 17 June 1931
 MAN NEED NOT BE BEAUTIFUL A sequel to an accident at Oldcotes was heard at Worksop   Oliver Edward Harrison, miner. Abbeydale road, Sheffield, sued Horace Boyling, a hawker, living in a caravan on White's piece. Sandhill street, Worksop, for loss of wages and damages. It was stated that Boyling's car struck Harrison and he was knocked down. His Honour (to Harrison): Are you all right now?—No, sir.
Whats the matter, I have a scar over my left eye.
 Never mind, a man does not need be beautiful. 
The Judge awarded Harrison £8O and costs. 

Sheffield Independent Thursday 18 January 1866

WORKSOP  — Police-constable  charged two gipsies, named James Smith and Elijah Smith, with having unlawful possession of a pheasant, on the 16th inst. Evidence not being forthcoming, the Bench decided to dismiss the charge, on condition that the two men agreed to have their portraits taken To this they readily agreed. The two men who were charged with stealing corn, were again remanded until next Wednesday.

Sheffield Independent 14 October 1926
  charge of obtaining three pigs,  December last by false pretences from Thomas Pressley, at Whitwell, was preferred against William Wiltshire (51), hawker, who was arrested at Dronfield. it was stated in prisoner's representation that he was a a dealer buying for Mr. Joe White, of Worksop, he then sold him three pigs for .£ll.10s. account,  cheque, receive for the pigs, the court said there was nothing to say in Wiltshire's favour.  He was an associate of thieves and prostitutes, and had many previous convictions,

Sheffield Independent Tuesday 7 September 1926
“THROWING MONEY ABOUT.” William Wiltshire, hawker, of no settled abode, trial, Wiltshire represented that he was a dealer buying for Mr J White, of Worksop, and he then let him have the pigs on a promise to pay a cheque in two or three days. "He was throwing about plenty of money during the bargaining, added the witness and I thought he was dealing fairly.”

Sheffield Independent Tuesday 25 February 1930
Elusive Hawker
TRACED BY POLICE AFTER FIVE YEARS. For participating in a false pretences the offence committed at Whitwell five years ago, William Wiltshire (30), hawker, who gave a Nottingham address, was bound over and ordered to pay the costs at Dronfield, yesterday. Superintendent Clarke recalled that on 12 December, 1925, Wiltshire, with is father, called on a man named Thomas Presley, and representing they were acting for a well Known buyer, they obtained three pigs, Wiltshire, sen., was sentenced to 15 months' imprisonment and the present defendant was bound over to appear when called upon. He gave a Nottingham address but when called upon was found to missing. He had just been traced to Nottingham again. Wiltshire told the Court that in the meantime he had been working In London. 

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 25 September 1902
ALLEGED THEFT FROM THE PERSON. At Worksop yesterday, Albert Williams, labourer, was charged with stealing a silver watch and chain, value £5 15s., from the person of John Quinn, greengrocer, Worksop, on September 16—Mr. John Appleton appeared for the prosecution.—In this case another man named William Wiltshire, gipsy, was charged jointly with Williams with being concerned in the theft, and was remanded on bail last week, but has since absconded   

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: Saturday 25 March 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
 helo this is page two of three of my researchers around Worksop, I do hope Relations who like me search for answers have in some way been helped, I wish for all these writings to be expanded on and corrected, long ago my Mother would tell of an Old Gipsy Family Related to the Smiths Wilshers Wiltshires Wilshaws, they seamed to me to be of a Quiet and Reserved nature, She as now long since gone, as have the People we would visit, so I will just put on a few extracts of records I have found, if you are able to read the full accounts some of which are long and informative I think they may be of interest in your research, I did find a Family of Smiths with People named White traveling around Worksop in the 1800s then I found the marriage certificate of Joe White to Rowena Holmes born 1885. 1910 Transcription: at St.Johns Worksop Joseph White son of Joseph White general dealer to Rowena Holmes daughter of John Holmes general dealer, who everyone is or evan how they are related or just connected, I do not know, Worksop as many story's
Sheffield Independent Thursday 18 March 1880
Worksop Hunted Game  with a Dog.—William Holmes known also as " Gipsy Holmes," who travels the country trading in horses
 Derbyshire Courier Saturday 1 November 1879
Game Tresspass   Elliott and Holmes Supt. Carlino said both men were gipsies, and it was with a very great difficulty that they had been able to serve the summons on the defendant. They had not yet succeeded in serving a summons on Holmes. 
Sheffield independent  Saturday 22 April 1871
WORKSOP.  — At this court, on Wednesday, William Holmes, alias Gipsy Holmes, was fined for allowing a number of young horses to Stray
Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald Saturday 5 March 1870
Death of a Well-known Character.—" Old Billy Holmes," Gipsy and horse dealer, and "Old Betty Holmes," his wife, have been very extensively known for many years in most parts of England, and also in Wales and Ireland too. For some time past named personage, "Old Betty," has been in a very precarious state of health, and on Sunday morning last she ceased to live. She was interred at Bolsover Church on Wednesday, in the presence of a large number of spectators. The funeral cortege was very extensive, the "Romany" tribe being strongly represented.
Derby Mercury 21 March 1866
EXTRAORDINARY CASE OF FORTUNE-TELLING.  A swarthy gipsy, who gave the name of Mary Ann Holmes,  was brought up on a charge of pretending to tell fortunes.
Nottingham Guardian 7 October 1864
CAUNTON. — Distressing Death of a Gipsy. — For some time past William Holmes, the well-known gipsy horse dealer, has, along with his family and a retinue of vans and horses, been camping in the yard of the Plough Inn on Sunday morning Dr. Beveridge visited  and pronounced the girl to be in danger from small-pox. After great suffering, the poor girl died in the afternoon of the same day; her gipsy relations standing round in the open air weeping bitterly, and forcibly reminding one of those touching lines in the " Negro's Complaint" — " Fleecy locks and black complexion Cannot forfeit Nature's claim ; Skins may differ, but affection Dwells in white and black the same."  It is hard, perhaps, to measure the doings of these rude followers of camp life with the habits of more civilized people, The deceased was very decently and respectably interred in Caunton churchyard on Tuesday afternoon. The relatives appeared in respectable mourning, and the corpse was carried by young women in white hoods. Much grief was manifested by the mourners at the grave, and all passed off in a very decorous manner.
Nottinghamshire Guardian Thursday 10 February 1859
Gipsy's Wedding.—   Ann Holmes, " queen of the gipsies" in this neighbourhood. 
Derbyshire Courier Saturday 2 June 1855
Releasing Sheep from a Pound.—Elizabeth Holmes was charged. Defendant belongs to the well-known family of the Holmes, generally called "Gipsy Holmes,” whose usual locality is in the neighbourhood of Bolsover, which they have infested, to the no small discomfort of the land occupier, for years.
Friday 23 April 1852 Lincolnshire Chronicle
Gipsy Wedding at Caunton.—On Monday the 12th inst, Samuel Holmes, son of Gipsy Holmes, of horse-dealing notoriety Considerable excitement was occasioned in the surrounding villages, and curiosity raised its highest pitch to witness on the arrival of the wedding party at Caunton church.  several hundred respectable people, dressed in  their holiday attire, assembled to celebrate the gipsy wedding. Holmes provided an 18-gallon barrel of ale and a liberal supply of gin for his friends.   A fiddler being in attendance, dancing was got up and kept going with great spirit until It was dark
Derbyshire Couier Saturday 11 February 1843
Mr John Holmes, horse dealer, Miss Lydia Parker, both of Sutton Scarsdale, married on Wednesday last
Derbyshire Courier Saturday 17 June 1843
John Holmes, of Scarcliffe, a boy, was charged with wilfully damaging a field the property of Mr. Scorer, of Scarcliffe.  The defendant is one of a family of gipsy horse-dealers, residing at Scarcliffe.   Elizabeth Holmes, the mother of the defendant in the last case, was then charged with assaulting Joseph Heath, pinder, of Scarcliffe, by throwing a stone at him. 

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
for all the Relatives who are researching the People I am writing about I would like to show you extracts 0f a few things to look out for, how the names can also just be spelt wrong, also see below how in one report People are stated as being Related, then not related, I put the story on about John Winter be course there maybe could be Relatives of His who have not seen the portrait before, also Mansfield is just down from Worksop, also most criminal chargers against Gipsies are down graded when all the facts are put to the courts, I have just one more post about the connections to Worksop then I will write my final story's, it should not take much longer, I hope I have been of help
Sheffield Independent Thursday 11 October 1906
GIPSY MELEE AT WORKSOP
 Joseph Wiltshire a gipsy living in a van on some ground in Worksop. Regularly used for accommodation rented from Mr J. White, general dealer. Was brought up on remand charged with unlawfully wounding Hannah Wiltshire, who was also a gipsy being not related to the prisoner   
Sheffield Daily Telegraph Saturday September 29 1906
Fracas in a Gipsy Camp.  A sequel to a serious fracas amongst the gipsy women was heard at the Worksop Police Court yesterday, when an elderly member of the tribe named Joseph Willshire, was brought up on a charge of unlawfully wounding a relative named Hannah Willshire. 
Sheffield Daily Telegraph Thursday 11 October 1906
A GIPSY MELEE AT WORKSOP. Joseph Wiltshire, an elderly man, a van dweller, was charged at Worksop with unlawfully wounding Hannah Wiltshire, Worksop, September 27, kicking her in the eye. The Magistrates’ Clerk, however, stated that, the Bench had decided to reduce the charge to one of common assault.  -—He was sent to prison for six weeks’ hard labour. 
Sheffield Independent Friday 31 January 1896
ALLEGED SERIOUS ASSAULT AT MANSFIELD. Joseph Wiltshire, a gipsy, surrendered to his bail on a charge of having grievously assaulted Henry Troop,  — Dr. Graham Godfrey was called, and stated that prosecutor was quite unable to appear to give evidence, and would probably not be able to do so for some days. He was suffering from the effects of a severe kick in the lower part of the abdomen.  which had caused the prosecutor to lose a great quantity of blood. It was quite possible he might not recover.— defendant on a warrant admitted causing the injuries because he (prosecutor) had been ill-using defendant's horse in the stable. "finally convicted of manslaughter"
 Saturday November 7 1896 Yorkshire Evening Post
Portrait of black jack arrested at Bradford
reports below compiled from several records
  John winter alias black jack of a  swarthy complexion native of Otley and is a wandering Gipsy pot hawker who is wanted for wilful murder  sentenced to five years penal servitude after finally being convicted of manslaughter
Sheffield Daily Telegraph Tuesday 15 March 1904
WORKSOP HAWKER'S SUDDEN END. Worksop there is a well-known plot of land usually called the "Gipsy camp" or "White's Park” to this the attention of the police was called on Sunday morning, by the information that John Renshaw, hawker, aged 53, had died suddenly during the night, Henrietta Smith said she had lived with the deceased for eight years, and had had ten children, of whom five were living. 
Nottingham Evening Post Tuesday 16 January 1906
  —Joseph Wiltshire, gipsy. Was charged with assaulting police constable Robinson at the Mansfield Horse Fair  The officer was on duty at the fair, and whilst interfering in a row amongst gipsies he was thrown to the ground and kicked by Wiltshire 
Saturday 13 February 1926
GIPSIES' AFFRAY ECHO. COURT SEQUEL TO SANDIACRE INCIDENT 1919. MALICIOUS WOUNDING CHARGE AT ILKESTON. affray, among the gipsies  in which a shooting took place and one of the number William Wilshire was removed to the hospital with gunshot wounds in the legs, had a sequel to-day at Ilkeston, where Harry Wilshire, 37, of no fixed abode was charged with maliciously shooting William Wilshire, at  Sandiacre, on May 21st, 1919, with intent to do him grievous bodily harm. Supt. Walker stated that a number of gipsies were encamped at  Sandiacre including the two mentioned in the charge. They were all drinking together in a public house when a row commenced. The partys went into the street, and it was alleged that they got fighting, and firearms were discharged, William Wilshire and another man named Harry Wilshire, said to be his father, being wounded. Immediately after the shooting prisoner disappeared, and had been at large since. William Wilshire, also alias Brooks, stated that he knew the prisoner Harry Wilshire, who had a van in the same field .Sandiacre. They had all been drinking during the afternoon, and at half-past nine they were in a public-house. Witness and the prisoner then began arguing about a horse, and eventually began to fight. Then the whole party left the house and began fighting with one another in the street, the women also joining in the fight. Tom Wilshire, who had a gun, tried to part the prisoner. Witness took the gun off him, smashed it, and threw the parts into the hedge. The prisoner also had a gun, which he fired, and witness received seven or eight pellets in his leg, and was removed to the Ilkeston Hospital. Asked who fired the shots, witness said he believed both the prisoner and Tom Wilshire fired.
 "this charge was finally much reduced to almost nothing, Henry got the blame"

Offline Kirstals1980

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: Monday 03 April 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've just noticed you have researched Plato Buckland, who's my Great Great Grandfather.
I'm interested if you have any further information please?

thank you

Kirsty Buckland :)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: Monday 03 April 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
helo  Kirsty, a good day to you, true I wrote of the Bucklands but was not or never have been researching them, I am truly a rubbish researcher, I just put on things I find for I,m a finder, I did find lots on the Bucklands but I,v thousands of pieces of paper and do not know how to sort the lot out, and I am finishing my writings soon, but if I come across anything in the future I will put it on before I go for good, I have been in Germany these last few days, I have been trying to research the history of the nazis, do you know time and time again people go on about that only the Jews are remembered, well I went to the place in Berlin that remembers the Jews, but while just walking about I also found the Dark Pool of the Gipsies, I was there but yesterday, its a Garden of Remembrance, there are glass panels engraved with the story's of the Gipsies through the thirty's until the dark days of the war, it is next to the Brandenburg Gate which is next to the Reichstag building, which houses the German parliament, a place of much history through out the agers, I hope to put on a few photos soon if the Moderators in their kindness allow me to, of course it as all to do with the bigger picture we must all seek, no matter if you are but the scrag end like me, or a mighty prince of your people, I know you and others will not know the history of these places I talk of but try to research them, try like you do in the same way that you research the census reports, try to research the bigger picture, see how the letters of words come alive, then you hopefully may feel the life's of all the Great Gipsies, then maybe to, one day like me you may also travel across Europe and go to the Garden of the Gipsies next to the Brandenburg Gate, I will help anyone in any way I can, but a researcher I am not, I will put on more about Worksop soon, I was just about to write more but I will leave it now for a while, it will just be normal everyday things, some may be right some may need a more in-depth looking at, for I know I must get much wrong, but my hope is to help Relations who like me look for the answers that guide us 

click on this link then click on the photo links on the left hand side, I was standing round that pool yesterday
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gypsies+Memorial/@52.517498,13.375717,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xeea814221cb81ede!8m2!3d52.5173149!4d13.3760186?hl=en

click on this link for a brief history of the Gate
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiTk97M9IjTAhXkDMAKHbCWC5UQFgg7MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.history.com%2Fnews%2Fbrandenburg-gate-a-brief-history&usg=AFQjCNGRYMAWT77dvh-CehzvdD0XbEW4nw

click on this link for some of the history of the Reichstag building, the Gipsy Dark Pool is between these two famous buildings in a quiet small woodland
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi746Cw9ojTAhUKI8AKHWTcBtEQFghiMA0&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.german-way.com%2Ftravel-and-tourism%2Fgermany-for-tourists%2Fcity-guides-germany%2Fberlin-and-potsdam%2Fthe-reichstag-in-berlin%2F&usg=AFQjCNGG0lZhyB0AG8bXWGhJFsFDF8irmQ

I took my own photos I will try and put a few on another time when I get them changed from my phone to the computer, they will be of the place of the Jews and the Gipsies

click on below for the place of the Jews 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Memorial+to+the+Murdered+Jews+of+Europe/@52.51693,13.3708568,16z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x0:0xeea814221cb81ede!2sGypsies+Memorial!8m2!3d52.5173149!4d13.3760186!3m4!1s0x0:0x1434a79012ee5bc8!8m2!3d52.5139471!4d13.3787124?hl=en

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: Saturday 08 April 17 08:54 BST (UK) »
 so this is the record of Angereena Boyling married to Frederick Wilsher that Sue sent me, then below on Sues web site named the Romany Jib, its a very good Web Site, there is a reference to a Stephen Boiling from Worksop so remember in your research to watch out for that name, I do not know nothing about the Family of the Boylings Boilings but I am sure they are Related to the People I write about

written by Sue
 Angereena Boyling to Fred Wilsher Dec 1914 Doncaster   

I.G.I. Entries. 
Please Note* Transcribed as written with original spelling from the Original Index*

ASELLA BOYLEN Female
Christening: 26 MAY 1811: Eagle Lincoln
Parents: Father: George Boylen Mother: FRANETTA (Trinity) Notes*( George later wed Joyce Tanzy)
STEPHEN BOILING :Christening: 27 JAN 1815 Worksop, Nottingham
Parents: Father: GEORGE BOILING Mother: TRINITY
ELIZABETH BOILING :Christening: 15 FEB 1818 * Clarborough, Nottingham
Parents: Father: GEORGE BOILING :Mother TRINITY
1821 Absalom son of George and Trinity Boyling Wandering Gypsies. Scawby Lincs

then I found these small extracts on the Web Site named the British Genealogy, try and find this Site there are great research stories to be read

19-06-2009, 7:02 PM
 Edward's older brother Henry William lived in a tent in a gypsy camp in Worksop, Notts on the 1901 census at Sandhills and was a hawker. Robert was a chair bottomer as was their father Edward who was born in Leicestershire in 1832. He married Elizabeth Whitworth from Wellow in Notts in 1856 and his father Edward was a potter according to their marriage certificate.
Henry Williams eldest son Frederick born about 1875 married Mary Wiltshire in 1899 so there was certainly a lot of inter marrying of families.

04-07-2009, 6:40 AM
  There certainly appear to have been strong connections between the Smith, Gregory's and Wilshers.

I also found this talk on RootsChats  Archive and it mentions the Worksop Smiths, then also Abbey Street Worksop, remember long back on here when I also wrote about a record of Abbey Street

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5hJCdspTTAhUlKcAKHdAGBiQQFgghMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rootschat.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D199734.0&usg=AFQjCNE8tXalWdJ1E51_brfa-ArXPNjJcA

this is the record from Abbey Street I wrote about

1881* CENSUS* Abbey Street Worksop Notts
Israel Smith ...........................30 Chair Bottomer, Willow 20/2 Stattin Leics
Sarah Smith............................ 38 Church Anston York
John Smith.............................. 6 Scholar Mansfield, Notts
Abigail Smith............................6mo Worksop Notts
Hannah Smith........................... 63 mother Boston Lincs
Elderi Smith............................24 dau Welton Lincs
Wisdom Smith........................... .2 son Retford Lincs
//
Street Address*Abbey Street Worksop Nottingham .
Rudolfa Smith........................... 30 head/Hawker b Willoughton, Lincs
Mary A Smith............................ 27 Newark,b Notts
Edward Smith ............................10 Scholar b Thorpe Salvin Yorkshire
William Smith.............................8 Scholar b Bothamsall, Notts
Mary A Smith .............................6 Scholar b Bolsover Derby
Drucella Smith............................4 b Sheffield, Yorkshire
Rudolfa Smith.............................1 b Chesterfield, Derby
Thomas Wilsher....................... 22 Hawker born Sheffield, Yorkshire Cousin
Hannah Wilsher....................... 23 Hawker born Thorne, Yorkshire
Mary A Wilsher........................ 10-months born Mansfield, Nott

then on the web site named The Romani another good Web Site, I found these records so look for all these names in your research, plus maybe below it should say Retford which is very close to Worksop, not Redford but I may be wrong

Web site the Romani

GREAGORY, Fread Head Married M 35 1876 Labourer Redford Nottinghamshire
GREAGORY, Mary Wife Married 12 years F 30 1881 Hawker Mansfield Nottinghamshire
WILLSHER, Anner Brother Widower F 50 1861 Hawker Redford Nottinghamshire
GREAGORY, Amaey Daughter F 11 1900 School Redford Nottinghamshire
GREAGORY, Viney Daughter F 9 1902 School Redford Nottinghamshire
GREAGORY, Angraner Daughter F 5 1906 Redford Nottinghamshire
GREAGORY, Seatty Daughter F 3 1908 Redford Nottinghamshire
GREAGORY, Fread Son M 0 (3 MONTHS) 1911 Redford Nottinghamshire
SMITH, Ted Relative Married M 30 1881 Labourer Redford Nottinghamshire
SMITH, Anner Wife Married 3 years F 27 1884 Hawker Lincon Lincolnshire

so all these names and stories above seam to be in some way connected to the People I am writing about, I do hope I have been of help to People Related who one day may find these words, also Sue as a few Web Sites like the Romany Genes Web Site, so along with the other Web Sites I mention, try and search through them for they have much information

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: Sunday 23 April 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
 page 1

Helo,  would there be anyone who would kindly be able to help, I am trying to research the Camps and Familys around Nottingham, one of those Camps was Hawthorne street, one of the Familys were named Bacon, I think they could be related to the Smiths, it does not matter where the story goes, I just want to learn the truth, Vince once wrote, " The Gipsies are a great Mosaic," Vince comes from the Old Old Gipsies known by the name of Smith, if you read below this is how the story starts, do you see how Billy Bacon and His Family were not evan given a name, they were described as…. So _called Gipsies, and then Daniel Boswell was described as…So _ called King of the Gipsies, I suppose you can be to much of a Gipsy, and other times not, do you see also how the grave stone was unreadable, this in 1953, more evidence of the stone not being replaced by Harrison

AFFAIRS OF EGYPT 1909
By T.W. Thompson
These notes are compiled almost entirely from the large volume  weighing seven pounds of Press cuttings  “Some so called Gypsies were evicted from a camping ground in Hawthorne Street, Nottingham”.

Article extract taken from the Romany Jib web Side
Written by Sue
  (1888-1968)Thomas William Thompson was a collector of Romany folklore mainly from the North of England and Midlands’s area.
He began collecting tales when a schoolmaster at Repton. In the early twentieth century he carefully recorded stories in his notebooks from the English Gypsy families of Gray, Smith and Boswell, as well as also drawing up genealogical family trees of some of the Gypsies he became friendly with.
A collection of his works is held at the University of Leeds, Brotherton Library.
Thompson's work was also published in the Journal of the Gypsy lore Society, one such work which has helped many Smith researchers is the Smith family tree of
Ambrose Smith who was made famous by George Borrow's book's Lavengro and the Romany Rye and better known as the character "Jasper Petulengro".

THE NEW AGE
A WEEKLY REVIEW OF POLITICS LITERATURE AND ART.
THURSEDAY FEBRUARY 29 1912
 George Borrow and his New Biographer. By T. W. Thompson. PAGE 422 extract
OWING to the tremendous difficulties which he sets him- self to overcome, every biographer of George Borrow must be prepared to accept failure, partial or complete, as the most probable result of his labours. When Mr. Murray published Dr. W. I. Knapp’s official life some thirteen years ago disappointment was the dominant note of the public and private criticisms that the book evoked. It was the result of half a lifetime’s loving and careful research, and did, indeed, supply us with a tolerably good, but still imperfect, skeleton of facts. What remained for Mr. Herbert Jenkins, the author of the new “Life of George Borrow,” to do was to perfect this skeleton and to clothe it with flesh and blood.
    when he was wandering about and forming the acquaintance of Gypsies and “bruisers” and all kinds of odd people met by the way- side; when he was acquiring his knowledge of horse- flesh and strange tongues; when, with the bitter agony of a proud spirit, he was struggling unsuccessfully “to adapt, not himself to the universe, but the universe to himself,” and to earn his daily bread at the same time. These were the years that, rather than any other, made Borrow into the strange, unlovely, fascinating man that we know. Mr. Jenkins’s treatment of them is scanty, though, had he only realised their importance, this would have been more or less excusable, seeing how little we know about them from sources other than
 “ Lavengro” and “The Romany Rye.” To decide how much of these books to accept as actual fact, and when, where, and exactly how much to discount for colouring and heightening and other dramatic effects, is a task that still awaits accomplishment.   

BRITANNIA AND EVE-SUNDAY 1 MARCH 1953 PAGE 16
THE WAY TO CHURCH
BY GARTH CHRISTIAN extract

“Let me caution you against being in a hurry” wrote the nineteenth_ Century gardener Loudon, in an article for young gardeners, “Walking fast in the street is a sign of vulgarity”.
Two years ago when I walked up the path into Ashbourne Church, thousands of daffodils, though bent by the cold north winds, continued to bloom a full three weeks after my own in a Sussex garden had died. Almost as late were the spring flowers in the smoke-swept Churchyard at Selston in Nottingham-Shire, where the way to Church lies beside the grave of Dan Boswell, a so-called King of the Gipsies. It is a pity one can no longer decipher his epitaph which once read,
” I’ve lodged in many a town, I’ve travelled many ayear, but death at length has brought me down to my last longings here".

Garth Christian was a nature writer, editor, teacher and conservationist. After becoming a full-time freelance writer, he wrote for newspapers and magazines He wrote a number of books on conservation and ornithology, one of which in 1961 was known as "A Victorian Poacher James Hawker's Journal". He was born in a Derbyshire vicarage coming from the same Family line as Fletcher Christian (25 September 1764 – 20 September 1793) of the noted story, “mutiny on the bounty,”  who was a Masters Mate on board the HMS Bounty during Lieutenant William Bligh’s voyage to Tahiti, Christian seized command of the ship 28 April 1789

next I will write a few pagers of what I have found, if someone could answer the questions I then ask, I would be most grateful.