Author Topic: TAYLOR of STYAL  (Read 907 times)

Offline Pat13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
TAYLOR of STYAL
« on: Tuesday 12 July 05 16:54 BST (UK) »
Is anyone researching the Taylor family who lived in Styal and worked at Quarry Bank Mill?
I am especially interested in a John and Ann Taylor who had at least eight children....Thomas 1807, Mary 1810, Elizabeth 1812, John 1814, Dinah 1816, William 1820, William 1822 and Anne 1828.
John senior possibly died in 1836.
John 1814 married a Mary and they had sons, Thomas, John and William. There were still members of this line in Styal in 1920.
I would love to hear from anyone working on this line or any other Styal Taylors.
Pat 13

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
Re: TAYLOR of STYAL
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Pat13,

I have scanned the index of "What Became of the Quarry Bank Mill Apprentices", which details the lives of some 200 cotton workers, however there are no Taylors amoungst them I'm sorry.

If you haven't already read the book I highly recommend it. It will really help put some meat on the bones of the lives of your ancestors. It's only £1.75 from the Quarry Bank Mill Museum.

Happy Hunting and Best Wishes

Amy
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pat13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: TAYLOR of STYAL
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 September 05 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Amy and thanks for your reply. Yes, I have the book you mention but it wasn't any help with family history although extremely interesting in other ways. I doubt if the Taylor children would have been apprentices, or at least not resident in the Apprentice House. The family were in Styal for over 150 years so I suppose the children just started work at the mill when they were old enough. Thanks anyway.
Pat