Author Topic: research help and advice Ryan and O'Brien family Tipperary  (Read 2095 times)

Offline homesweet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
research help and advice Ryan and O'Brien family Tipperary
« on: Sunday 13 September 15 18:51 BST (UK) »
hi i am trying to research my family history and am completely stuck at my grandparents, i have joined numerous sites and found only a small amount of info :'(. i have checked the 1911 census, checked birth records ??? but no joy. My grandmother Bridget O'Brien married my grandfather Denis Ryan in October 1925 in Tipperary, my grandfather was a postman, and my gm worked on a local farm in Greenane where they lived till their deaths in 1970 and 1973. They had 11 children all of which were baptized in st micheals church Tipperary town. My mum always spoke of her uncle jack Ryan who according to her was a well known Irish runner. i have so far been unable to find out either grandparents birth dates or any further family history. any advice or info would be much appreciated as you can tell I'm a complete newbie so i apologise if Ive rambled ::)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: research help and advice Ryan and O'Brien family Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 15 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hello & welcome to Rootschat.
You can obtain your grandparents marriage record from www.groireland.ie a photocopy costs €4
this will give you both their fathers names whether living or deceased.
Details you need when ordering:
Denis Ryan & Bridget O Brien Registration District Tipperary. Volume 3 Page no 373.
The Church records for Baptisms/marriages are now online free to search at www.registers.nli.ie
 :)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 September 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
There are 2 baptism records as follows:

Denis Ryan 10th July 1898 Golden & Kilfeacle Tipperary. Parents Michael Ryan & Catherine Crowe

Denis Ryan 20th May 1899 Golden & Kilfeacle Tipperary. Parents Timothy Ryan & Margaret Connors. :)
Thought these may be possibilities given that his marriage was 1925 he would have been in his 20's

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 September 15 22:07 BST (UK) »
Following my last msg I think I may have located your family in 1901 & 1911 Censuses.The Denis born 1899 with parents Timothy & Margaret I believe to be them

1901 House No 6 Persse;s Lot DED Golden Tipperary.
Timothy Ryan, 51 OCCUPATION POSTMAN.  SON Timothy a 20 Postman (you can look at census to see rest of family incl Denis)

1911 House No 3 Persse's Lot DED Golden Tipperary.
3 members of family employed in Postal service. Timothy & Margaret married 32 yrs, have 12 children & 12 living. :)

Offline homesweet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 September 15 22:22 BST (UK) »

Denis Ryan 10th July 1898 Golden & Kilfeacle Tipperary. Parents Michael Ryan & Catherine Crowe

Denis Ryan 20th May 1899 Golden & Kilfeacle Tipperary. Parents Timothy Ryan & Margaret Connors. :)
Thought these may be possibilities given that his marriage was 1925 he would have been in his 20's
sorry to ask but im  a complete novice where would i be able to view the above records. Thank you for your help ;D

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 September 15 22:24 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage for Timothy Ryan & Margaret Connors.
January Quarter 1880. Reg District Cashel (Tipperary) Volume 3 page 379.
You can obtain photo copy from www.groireland.ie :)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 September 15 22:26 BST (UK) »

sorry to ask but im  a complete novice where would i be able to view the above records. Thank you for your help ;D

They might be on www.familysearch.org but I found them on a site I subscribe to

Offline homesweet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 September 15 22:34 BST (UK) »
The details you have posted look very promising as before he married Denis according to family lived in Dromline. i am going to try and get hold of my grandparents marriage certificate. But so far the details you have found have opened a blocked door especially as there is also a son John listed, it turns out that my mums uncle jack the irish runner was infact named John Ryan and preferred to be known as JJ Ryan or Jack (posted on another site and was sent a link) I don't know how you all do it i couldnt find anything.much thanks

Offline Tocsongs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 December 21 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello , I’m Tim O’Connor and Mathew Connors was my grandad from Lower Kilmore (Knockavilla) Tipperary his sister was Margaret Connors who married Timothy Ryan (the postman from Golden)
Really looking forward to hearing from you , regards Tim