Author Topic: Granddad's WWI enlistment in 1st Leicestershire Regiment  (Read 854 times)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
Granddad's WWI enlistment in 1st Leicestershire Regiment
« on: Monday 14 September 15 16:43 BST (UK) »
I know my granddad served in the 1st Leics during WWI and according to his medals record when he applied for his medal he also served in a Yorks regiment but I can't find any trace of his enlistment papers on Ancestry.

Granddad was John Thomas Charles William Knight (known as Jack by all of us but has been listed on census returns under shortened versions of his other names.) He was born on 27th October 1894 in Leicester, the son of James Knight and Annie North.
He has a disembarkation date of 9th November 1914 and was discharged on 29th March 1917. He enlisted in the 1st Leics Reg as Pte 11026 J.T.C.W Knight and later served in the Yorks reg as Pts 20829 J.T.C.W Knight.

I've tried searching for him using his initials, his full name, Jack and even Bill but so far there is no sign of his enlistment papers. Does anyone know if there is a problem with the Leicestershire or Yorkshier records please? Can anyone find any paperwork for his service please? Any help greatly appreciated as this is the last section of his life I need to find.
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline smallholderitm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Granddad's WWI enlistment in 1st Leicestershire Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 15 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hello
There are many WW1 records missing as a large number of them were burnt - during WW2 I think.  My husband's grandfather is the same.  N/T of any service records whatsoever, although we have personal papers showing him in India and Africa!
It is a possibility and the reason why you cannot find him.  However, perhaps you will be lucky and find him one day.
Sorry to be the bearer of (?) bad tidings.
Best wishes
Brooke and Fitton in Huddersfield area of Yorkshire
Chaff(e) in Buckfastleigh in Devon
Page in Northampton and Manchester
Fall in Ripon
Wetherald in County Durham

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 September 15 17:03 BST (UK) »
Nearly 70% of the WW1 Service Records were destroyed in a WW2 bombing raid! ::)

Obviously you are just unlucky? ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 September 15 21:00 BST (UK) »
It's worth looking on Findmypast as well as Ancestry. The chances are that your granddad's records are among the ones that were destroyed, but there's a small chance you'll find them on FindMyPast. I have been looking for the records of hundreds of men from my home town, and there are a few names I can find on one site but not the other (it works both ways).

He appears on the Silver War Badge medal roll on Ancestry, and according to this he enlisted on 10 Sep 1912 and was discharged in 1917 due to sickness.

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, I thought there might be an issue with the papers being destroyedbut will try on Findmypast too just to see if anything comes up.
Mean_genie, thanks for that. I haven't found that one so didn't know his enlistment date nor the reason for his discharge so that is a bit more information to add to his story.   :)
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.