Author Topic: Death of Soldier in Boer War Corporal Walter William Whitcroft  (Read 1025 times)

Offline MBW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of Soldier in Boer War Corporal Walter William Whitcroft
« on: Tuesday 15 September 15 10:57 BST (UK) »
My Great Grand Uncle ,Corporal Walter William Whitcroft, was killed on 21 October 1901 at Cornelius River. He was in G Battery Royal Horse Artillery.
He was a Gun-layer and was killed by an explosion of a shell in his gun. Sergeant Scott was also killed.

According to the Coventry Evening Telegraph, of Monday 18 November 1901, the two men were buried together near a farmhouse and a wooden cross was erected with their numbers, rank,name and the inscription "Accidentally killed in action on 21 October 1901. R.I.P."

Would it be possible to find out if their grave is still marked or has it been moved? Both men are named on the Royal Artillery Memorial in the Mall.
I would be very grateful if anyone can help me find his grave. 

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Soldier in Boer War Corporal Walter William Whitcroft
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 13:07 BST (UK) »
Read this article. Look carefully at the last paragraph. http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol102ic.html
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline MBW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Soldier in Boer War Corporal Walter William Whitcroft
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hello pampoen,

Thank you for your speedy reply to my inquiry.  I did think it was a long shot that I would be able to find the grave, but it was worth a try.

thank you for your time and expertise.

MBW