Author Topic: 1861 Abergavenny please  (Read 3685 times)

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
1861 Abergavenny please
« on: Wednesday 16 September 15 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi again, can someone please look up Maria Carter in the 1861 census for me please? She was born in 1837 in Abergavenny and ancestry is showing she is still in Abergavenny in 1861 - I need to know who she is living with please.

This is my third request in two days so please dont anyone think I'm being cheeky its just my bank accounts all sad this month (daughter going to senior school is VERY expensive lol) and I cant get any credits yet.

Many thanks, Lisa
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Abergavenny please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 19:03 BST (UK) »
Just logged on as I came from Abergaveny your mail jumped out at me
Maria Carter 1838 Abergavenny was unmarried in 1861 and living with her daughter Mary aged five and two lodgers Cant make out the address She was a char woman

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 19:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jennyrob...Didnt know about a daughter thats interesting! My Nan's Nan came from Abergavenny over to Wolverhampton in the 1910s Im tracing her family. Would love to go for a visit...we passed through a couple of years ago and it was lovely.
Lisa
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 19:14 BST (UK) »
The census is very faint -- address looks something like Inland St.

Lodgers were Hannah Nicholson aged 17 and William Smith aged 22, Labourer. (Just in case they are connected to the family).
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pennines...the names dont sound familiar yet.

I think Maria married George Shoal/Showell in Abergavenny in 1864...On ancestry Ive got them in 1881 cause u can see that for free. They are listed as Saul and are in Commercial Street Abergavenny with a 12 year old son George...can u see them in 1871 please? Im trying on freecen but cant seem to see them (Im wondering if Mary the daughter is there in 71).

Lisa  :)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 19:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry Lisa -- I can't immediately see her in 1871. May take some imaginative searching!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 19:56 BST (UK) »
Me neither, but have found this from the Monmouthshire Merlin of 12th June 1874

WIFE BEATING. George Shoal was sent to gaol for one month, without the option of a fine, for ill-treat- ing his wife.

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 19:59 BST (UK) »
Me neither, but have found this from the Monmouthshire Merlin of 12th June 1874

WIFE BEATING. George Shoal was sent to gaol for one month, without the option of a fine, for ill-treat- ing his wife.

Oh my goodness! From searching for the rest of the family they were all either wife beaters/fighters/drunkards  :o I found this for Maria.....
ASSAULT -Maria Carter was charged with assaulting Mary Ann Donovan - dismissed on paying expenses 7s6d

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 20:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry Lisa -- I can't immediately see her in 1871. May take some imaginative searching!

Thanks for looking...will see if I can see them under random spellings lol