Author Topic: Property called 'Tillicoultry' in Goulburn, NSW  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Property called 'Tillicoultry' in Goulburn, NSW
« on: Thursday 17 September 15 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm trying to find out who were the original occupants of a property which was/is called 'Tillicoultry'. I've searched Trove and found an ad which offered it for sale in 1987. This ad gives its address as Greenwich Park Road and says it was originally set up as an 80 acre goat farm. A Google search brings up recent listings saying the address is 41 Todkill Road, Greenwich Park, Goulburn, and it's an 83 acre property with all manner of amenities and spectacular views. I took a punt on Todkill as a surname (thinking the street may have been named after residents)  but, while they were a prominent family in the area, there are no obvious links to the town of Tillicoultry in Clackmannanshire.

Any ideas would be welcome! Thanks.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Property called 'Tillicoultry' in Goulburn, NSW
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 September 15 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Have you checked the NSW govt website with the historic parish maps.   Here's a link. 

http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/land_titles/historical_records_online/historical_maps_cancelled_editions

Accessing records

Free public access

Free access is currently through the Historical Land Records Viewer.

Identifying records

The maps are generally identified by County, Parish and edition. NSW is divided into 141 counties, which are further subdivided into 7515 parishes. It is important to select the correct County as the same Parish name can exist in more than one County.

If you don't know the Parish name, use the Geographical Names Register to search by locality or suburb. The result of the search will include the Parish and County name.
These maps are available free online. There is no need to leave home.

ADD
http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/place_naming/placename_search   (Geographical Names Register)

and

this may also help find a geographical guide too
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=678243.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 September 15 07:25 BST (UK) »
Have you thought the original occupants may have been Scottish but not necessarily from Tillicoultry in Clackmannanshire?

For example my house in Scotland was named Rutland Cottage by my mother.
She was not from Rutland but the family came from Leicestershire the adjacent county and she frequently visited Rutland and liked it.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 September 15 10:09 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/132153147  15 August 1987 The Canberra Times

27 kms on Sydney side of Goulburn, with frontage to the Wollondilly River.

When I look at the NSW Electoral Roll for 1903 (first with females listed as eligible to enrol to vote), there is, within the Werriwa electorate, the polling place of Greenwich Park.  There's 116 electors listed.

Among the surnames is BLOMFIELD, which from memory would be likely to be descendants of one of the first settlers in that district.   I think Richard BROOKS (perhaps associated with one of the contracting ship owners re convict transports) was perhaps the chap who received one of the early grants of land in that district.

Others also listed as graziers include the surnames BEAZLEY, De AVILA,  HATTER, HENDERSON,  O'BRIEN, PARRY, RYAN and ZOUCH.

Hopefully I have given you some info that you may be able to follow up.

NSW State Records online link: 
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-online

(One of my early NSW families settled nearby there, with frontage to same river.  :) )

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline jeanlit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 September 15 12:31 BST (UK) »
JM
You quoted  "NSW State Records online link:
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-online"

Do you mean that the 1903 electoral roll appears on the above index?

Can you please point me in the right direction?  because I cannot find it.

Jean

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 September 15 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

No,  sorry if I was not clear.   I popped the NSW SRO's link there so people could follow up those surnames on the various indexes at State Records....

My copy of NSW 1903 ERs is a paper copy and errr is from the 1900's.   I am aware of several subscription websites that have the rolls, and also that NSW State Library and NSW SRO has ERs.

I am happy to look up my paper copies, but I do need to know which electorate, and possibly which polling place.... I also have some 19th C NSW rolls.   I have some municipal rolls too.     But as paper copies are arranged by polling place within each electorate, and then alpha by surname within each polling place .... well, I like to have surname and township  :) before I start.

Cheers,  JM

Offline gibnala

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 July 16 23:53 BST (UK) »
I was at that property last night having a birthday drink for the latest owner.  I was told that all the stonework erections at the house was done by a woman, Shirley, when her daughter owned the house in 1989.  Shirley, who is about 90 years old, now lives in Towrang, NSW, about a 5 minute drive from me and I live about 2 minutes from Tillicoultry.  Do you want me to speak to Shirley and find out what she knows about the people who owned the property before her daughter and to try and ascertain the significance of how it was named, Tillicoultry?  Alan.

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Sorry for my slow reply but thank you, that would be great. Shirley sounds wonderful and it would be much appreciated - I daresay she has some amazing stories! It was actually a cousin of ours who lives in Tillicoultry, Scotland, who found the original reference to the property, and asked if we could find out why it was so named.

Thanks again, and all the best...