Author Topic: Exciting find a metal detectorist has found my grandfather's wedding ring !  (Read 15852 times)

Offline Luath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting find a metal detectorist has found my grandfather's wedding ring !
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
I just had to  put the ring on..

I was sort of ok up till then, and then lost it completely.  It really is such a connection to the past for me.  It's both of them rolled into one thing, one artefact, one token that meant so much to each of them, that I never knew about.   There's a huge story to tell about it all.  Not a huge world-changing sort of thing, but I think that everyone's family story is huge.  The things I've found out since I began looking into my family tree and records has really helped me understand how and who I am, and why I'm different to my immediate family; I have many more connections to my more distant family than my immediate one.  I am a firm believer that 'things' get passed down over the years - the may skip years and generations, but  they never disappear completely.  I seem to have been graced with a lot of these things all at once!  Fine by me, I can cope with it all, I spend hours just  thinking about it all now.  I really believe that I'm the 'interesting one' that will keep the family story going lol
Hunter, Hastings, Sykes, Stranshilloch, Galloway, Crosbie, Graham, Chesney, Dickson, Campbell Townsley, Matthew

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 09 October 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
Great to see the photos, Luath. It looks in pristine condition!

If that were me, I would have welled up too.

Rogers: Sussex
Sanders/Saunders: Brenchley, Kent
Hales: Navenby, Lincs
Lidbetter: Sussex
Burns: Birmingham/Weston-super-Mare
Gray/Stocks: Weston-super-Mare
Hayden
Bubb: Kent
Ward: Notts

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 17 October 15 18:39 BST (UK) »
This is the kind of thing dreams are made of ......... unbelievable.

Thanks for sharing, made my day!  ;D

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 17 October 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
Things happen for a reason and I believe this happened to the right person because you are passionate about your roots.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Luath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Update - at last!
For various reasons, it's taken a while for the dress to arrive here, but it arrived on Monday; I now have the dress my granny married in and my grandpa's ring together for the first time since 1928 probably.
I will photograph the together, then the ring will be sent off to Australia.
Included with the dress were some bits that my granny had kept:
- a postcard of the war memorial in Castle Douglas (I need to go and have a look at that to find a family connection if there is one)
- an empty Post Office Telegram envelope with granny's name/village on, and handwritten are the names of a couple of books on it, presumably in my granny's writing, it looks similar
- a document from my grandfather to a joiner in Carsphairn, which appears to show the sale of household items, all detailed down to the last penny, for the grand sum of £4.13.11.  I can ony tink this was him selling his stuff before they moved away from Casphairn, dated 1930
- my grandfather's medical card from 1949, with his address showing as here in the village; this is close to the  year they moved here, I think it was 1947.
-two National Registration Identity cards for my grandfather; these are hugely useful to me, as they detail the addresses of the places the family lived - grandpa was a farm labourer/gardener and seemed to move about quite a bit before settling here.  The cards contain 5 addresses between 1943 and 1948.  I should be able to find them on maps and possibly go and visit them/photograph them, they're all fairly nearby.
I want to contact the Carsphairn Heritage Centre and ask if they would like me to write up a short article about it all for their newsletter.  My family - Hunter- has a file there, and they may like copies of some of the documents I have to add to the file so anyone else researching our family can share them.
That's it for now, thanks for reading and taking the time to comment  :)
Hunter, Hastings, Sykes, Stranshilloch, Galloway, Crosbie, Graham, Chesney, Dickson, Campbell Townsley, Matthew

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic. Good luck with all your plans.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to give us an update...how rewarding for you  :D
So pleased for you.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 19:32 GMT (UK) »
I've just seen this thread, what a great story thank you for sharing it  :)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 19:41 GMT (UK) »
I've just seen this thread, what a great story thank you for sharing it  :)

Me too - what a wonderful story  :)
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley