Author Topic: Ancestry - Public Tree Members being trawled by Private Tree Members  (Read 12215 times)

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
  • G-Grandfather at Cilmelyn Farm, Bangor c1900
    • View Profile
Ancestry - Public Tree Members being trawled by Private Tree Members
« on: Friday 18 September 15 18:08 BST (UK) »
I have a reasonable size public family tree on Ancestry with photos, records and information. I am happy for people to view and copy items from my tree and I do the same on other public trees, that is why so many of us go public on Ancestry. We all help each other and you never know you may get a link with family you never knew existed.

What does tick me off though is recently I am being trawled a lot for my photos and copies of old documents etc. by members who keep their own personal trees private. I have in the past sent messages to these privateers to see why they are interested in something from my tree just in case there is a connection but in most cases I get no reply.

If they want to keep their information to themselves then that is their business but if they do copy from public trees at least have the decency to send a quick note saying thank you.

100%Gog
Griffith(s) - Anglesey: Pentraeth, Llanddona.

Hughes - Anglesey: Holyhead, Llangefni, Pentraeth.
Caernarvonshire: Gyffin, Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr.

Jones - Anglesey: Llangefni
Denbighshire: Betws yn Rhos, Llanfairtalhaiarn

Owen/Owens - Anglesey: Llanbadrig.
Caernarvonshire: Bangor, Penrhosgarnedd.
Denbighshire: Cerrigydrudion.

Roberts - Caernarvonshire: Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr, Llysfaen.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - Public Tree Members being trawled by Private Tree Members
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 September 15 18:12 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 September 15 18:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links Sandra, some interesting observations and comments.

Maybe I need to keep my cards or photos and documents in my case :), closer to my chest.

100%Gog

Offline newmodernist

• RootsChat Member
  • Building on my mothers lifes work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 September 15 18:37 BST (UK) »
Aw, that drives me nuts!  I've scanned thousands of photos and nothing makes me more sad than finding a picture on ancestry of a close relative that I've never seen, but their tree is on private, and they don't respond to messages.  I'll admit I have private trees (mostly because information on their I believe is wrong and I don't want other poor people copying it!) but if someone emailed me to ask for a photo I'd be all over it. 
Moore, Craig, Donnelly, Boyd, Johnston, Butterworth, Hayes, Orr, Brierley, Heather

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 September 15 19:13 BST (UK) »
There are some very selfish people around I'm afraid.  I have a private tree on Ancestry and always respond to any enquiries and offer the information I have.  I wouldn't dream of copying a photo from a public tree without first contacting the owner to ask if it is OK and offer to share what I have.  I don't think it's fair to take from their public tree then keep my private tree to myself.

I think these selfish people just want to cram their tree full of whatever they can lay their hands on without entering into the sharing spirit of true family historians.  I keep my tree private to prevent these people from taking things without making contact first.  I they can't be bothered to make contact then they are not really that interested.

A while ago I visited a graveyard and took some photos of family graves.  Whilst there I noticed a grave with my family surname but I couldn't connect it with my family, but I took a photo anyway to investigate further.  I still haven't been able to tie him to my family but I noticed an Ancestry member had him in their tree.  This person lives in another country so it's extremely unlikely that they would be able to take a photo for themselves so I sent them a message offering to send them a copy of the photo, but have had no response whatsoever (they are still active on Ancestry).
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 September 15 19:39 BST (UK) »
I think it is just a case of - if you make your tree public then it is just that, free for anyone to see. There are no restrictions, no rules that if you see my tree I have to see yours. If you dont want all and sundry to see your tree, then dont make it public. Personally I wouldnt put mine on the net at all!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 September 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
Exactly right Lizdb.  You can always alter those tree settings - make your tree "Private" so that it can't be viewed as a Public Member Tree. Even if you don't share your tree, other members can still learn if a specific deceased individual is in your tree, in addition to the birth year and birthplace of the person and your username (but no personal information about you).
They can then contact you anonymously through the Connection Service on Ancestry sites to request more information.
For a more drastic measure - the little box within the private tree information section - also prevents your tree from being found in the search index. So if you just want somewhere to keep your tree record, I suppose that is another option.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 September 15 20:01 BST (UK) »
my tree is private but not because I wont share Iin fact most of my photos etc are available on public trees because I have shared them ...........I usually talk to owner before copying to see what relation we are and then I can share info...................what you have to remember is that when you have a public tree on Ancestry if there is a connection even to a private tree it will come up in the Hints and so it isn't that the person with the private tree has just taken your photos etc but been offered them by Ancestry themselves.
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 September 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
I think it is just a case of - if you make your tree public then it is just that, free for anyone to see. There are no restrictions, no rules that if you see my tree I have to see yours. If you dont want all and sundry to see your tree, then dont make it public. Personally I wouldnt put mine on the net at all!

Valid comments lizdb, I agree with what you say. At the end of the day a public tree is open to all. I think its time to rethink my strategy.

Sandra....I think I will go private but I'll give the little tick box a miss.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

100%Gog