Author Topic: Ancestry - Public Tree Members being trawled by Private Tree Members  (Read 12213 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - Public Tree Members being trawled by Private Tree Members
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 19 September 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi 100%Gog, There will always be givers and takers in this world and as my Grandmother used to say "There's nowt as queer as Folk", I fully sympathise with you as it happens all to often.

To me there is no excuse for bad manners, they cost nothing, I am in the "Private" tree camp but I always respond to requests for information and help where I can, I have in the past seen a connection on Ancestry with a photograph or two and have always sent a message to the tree owner asking for permission to have a copy but only after I have explained my connection to them and offered them the chance to view my tree or ask for any information they may need.

On another note, I asked a member if they were connected to my tree as they added a record to theirs and they were indeed part of my family all be it to my Great aunts side, I offered the person copy's of photographs and certs that I had but have heard absolutely nothing back and I know they have been logged onto Ancestry on a regular basis since :-\

Like I said "Nowt as Queer as Folk"  ;)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 September 15 12:23 BST (UK) »
The practice of "purloining" research data, photographs, documentation, etc; irks me immensely.  Most, not all, family historians are not (errr, how do I put this?) youngsters and were raised with "Please" and "Thank You".

Is it too sweeping a statement to state common courtesy appears to fly out the window when they locate data they did not have?

I have, in my possession, parchment documentation which will never be put on the web. I am in the process of making frames to house and protect them.

q98
Fremantle
Western Australia
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 September 15 17:59 BST (UK) »
I usually avoid publishing online anything I don't want the World to see because, whatever the legal position, anything displayed on the Web is effectively in the public domain, available for anyone to download, copy and share.

What I found more annoying was when I shared a copy of a family document with an individual directly, only to find it included on several Ancestry public trees a few months later >:(

I'm sure it was just thoughtlessness in this case, but I would never publish someone else's documents without asking their permission first.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 19 September 15 18:10 BST (UK) »
What I found more annoying was when I shared a copy of a family document with an individual directly, only to find it included on several Ancestry public trees a few months later

I think that is the main problem, once you've shared something, you then have no control over it especally if it is then put on to a public tree. If there is something you don't want made public, I'm afraid the only option is not to share it at all.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 19 September 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
I think someone raised this earlier in this thread, but is it true that once you upload information to Ancestry it becomes their intellectual property?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 19 September 15 23:18 BST (UK) »
perhaps this will answer your question

Subject to these Terms and restrictions on data processing in our Website Privacy Statement, as amended from time to time, you grant Ancestry and its Group Companies a non-exclusive, transferable, sublicenseable, world-wide, royalty-free license for the maximum amount of time permitted by applicable law to host, store, copy, publish, distribute, provide access to and otherwise use User Provided Content uploaded or otherwise submitted by you to the Website, including, hosting and access on co-branded services of that material, and to use the data contained in that User Provided Content as search results and to integrate that data into the Service as Ancestry or its Group Companies deems appropriate on or through any media or medium and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed or discovered. This license continues even if you stop using the Websites or the Services. Ancestry may scan, image and/or create an index from the User Provided Content you submit. In this situation, you grant Ancestry and its Group Companies a license to the User Provided Content as described above and Ancestry will own the digital version of documents created by Ancestry as well as any indexed information that Ancestry creates. Except for the rights granted in this Agreement, Ancestry acquires no title or ownership rights in or to any User Provided Content you submit and nothing in this Agreement conveys any ownership rights in such User Provided Content on the Website.
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 19 September 15 23:21 BST (UK) »
So that's a yes then (?).
I hate legal jargon.  :)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 20 September 15 03:03 BST (UK) »
Having read the posts on this topic both on RootsChat and other sites, I'm glad I made the decision to not put a tree on Ancestry, I do have a partial tree on GenesReunited which will give anyone I allow to view it an idea of my lines.

I have had a very poor response from both Public and Private Tree owners on Ancestry, the six messages I sent over the last two months remain unanswered, when I sent the messages the tree owners had all been on Ancestry within the previous three months.  With one of them it's a shame she didn't reply because she has the wrong husband of one of my female ancestors, I would have gladly helped her.  I do know my version is correct because I have the couple's marriage certificate plus the certificate for one of their children, who is also my ancestor, it gives of course parent names and the mother's maiden name.  :(
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 20 September 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi findem
By not answering, the error/s compound/s or the brick wall is hit - THEIR loss, NO sympathy!

q98
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa