Author Topic: Ancestry - Public Tree Members being trawled by Private Tree Members  (Read 12216 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - Public Tree Members being trawled by Private Tree Members
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 02:01 BST (UK) »
Hi q98,

You're so right.

It goes against the grain to not help someone when I can but rudeness also goes against the grain.

What struck me as odd was that when I did a search of Public Trees on that particular ancestor on Ancestry it brought up not only the incorrect one but several correct entries.  I would have thought the person with the incorrect version would have spotted them and wondered why she was the odd one out, perhaps had I corrected her she wouldn't have taken any notice.  As they say up north in England "there's nowt so queer as folk".  :)
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 09:39 BST (UK) »
There is also the chance that they don't answer because they can't!

I "met" a distant relation through Ancestry and we became good friends. Whilst working on a mutual branch of our tree, she found what, at the time, looked the correct people emigrating to America and having children, so we added them to the tree.

Sadly, she died 5 years ago, but her tree remained on Ancestry for all to see. A couple of years ago, with new information on line, I discovered without any doubt that the information we'd added wasn't right, so changed my tree. Hers of course remains the same and I often get hints referring me to it and the wrong information.

I realise that you can check when a person was last on line, but that isn't always correct, as when I checked hers it did say within the last year, which wasn't right. So, there may be reasons why people don't respond!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 14:45 BST (UK) »
I just got a response, that totally put me off responding...

'ok what do you want to know'!!!

I had asked if we could share notes etc... politely with a please and a thank you and if you don't mind...
to get a downright rude, sharp response like that... was ignorant..

Or is it just me .... I did reply nicely - so we will see.

short shrift as my Mom would say. :)

xin    ;D >:( ;) :D

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 15:07 BST (UK) »
Not sure about that Xin, short it may have been but not necessarily rude. 

Although I may have preferred a longer message it could be taken that they were open to getting down to brass tacks straight away, and rather than relating a load of information that you already may have, they are awaiting your first question about a particular person.

Susan

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 15:19 BST (UK) »
I have sent 3 messages today, well 4 if you count 2 to one person.

I shall wait to see if I receive any responses.  The person to whom I have sent 2 messages had asked me about his gt gt aunt by marriage, my 3rd cousin x2.  Sadly I had little information since the 1911, but he has prompted me to have another look.

The other 2 people have no connection to me at all (unless by some quirk of fate something turns up).  A grave newly uncovered by a cemetery cleanup team led me to try to find information about the interred, and they were found in at least 2 trees - with  photos!   So naturally I contacted the tree owners hoping that we can help them with location, photo of grave, and details of burials, and if they are prepared to let the team have a photo of the people to match to the grave, so much the better. 
As I've mentioned in previous threads, I never just take a photo, and so it should be, respect always.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Susan,
Now there you go, my OH tells me I am going through a bad phase --- will have to pull my socks up and think things through a little more.  Try and re-kindle the old xin sweet and kind and good  :)

Luckily as I say, I did reply in a positive and polite way
tg.

(maybe its the pills I am taking :) or not taking :) :) :) )

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 17:45 BST (UK) »

I  have kept my tree Private, but will answer a query if I receive one. The fun of research is to find yourself and to help where you can. It is just not right to pass of another's work as your own, if you use it acknowledge where you got it from on your tree and try to thank them.

On another note I have left a list of places where I have trees and the passwords etc and once I am no longer here my family can decide whether to remove them or not

I
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 23:25 BST (UK) »

I had asked if we could share notes etc... politely with a please and a thank you and if you don't mind...
to get a downright rude, sharp response like that... was ignorant..

Or is it just me .... I did reply nicely - so we will see.
short shrift as my Mom would say. :)

xin    ;D >:( ;) :D

I was wondering if the person was away from a computer and was responding via a cell phone thingy that only allows a certain amount of characters.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 00:26 BST (UK) »

At least you got a response!  ::)  ;D ;D ;D
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk