Author Topic: English Peerage  (Read 1623 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
English Peerage
« on: Sunday 20 September 15 12:44 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this query, if not feel free to shove it to where it belongs. ;D

I would just like to find out if the English Peerage had separate census's taken to the normal "common man".  If they did where would I find them?

Also is there a specific publication  which would list their genealogies.  I havel looked through Burke's but is hasn't been much help? Especially with regard to the issue who do not inherit the title.

Any help much appreciated :)
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: English Peerage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 September 15 12:48 BST (UK) »
The Royal family appear on the normal census  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 September 15 12:48 BST (UK) »
Some genealogies have been done in private books. Take them with a pinch of salt. You might find some at  archive.org

Also look for ''visitations' books. These were based on Court Scribes ''visiting'' each family with gentry and listing said family trees.

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 September 15 13:06 BST (UK) »
I would just like to find out if the English Peerage had separate census's taken to the normal "common man".  If they did where would I find them?

There were no separate censuses taken for anyone, everybody was covered by the Census Acts and had to fill in a census schedule. the returns for Queen Victoria are;

1841 The Queen HO107; Piece 740; Book: 9; Folio: 3; Page: 1; Enumeration
District: _Buckingham Palace_
1851 Her Majesty Alexandrina Victoria at Buckingham Palace HO107 piece 1478
folio 645 page 19
1861 Victoria R abt 1820 Whippingham Hampshire Osbourne Palace RG9 piece 653 folio 48 page 1
1871 Her Majesty The Queen RG10; Piece: 1302; Folio: 103; Page: 1
1881 Queen The RG11; Piece: 1325; Folio: 98; Page: 1
1891 abroad in the South of France

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 September 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.

Just shows, no short cuts to family research ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 September 15 13:34 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at www.thepeerage

I've come across an error on there  (they made an incorrect assumption) but it may be of some help to you.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 September 15 15:25 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at www.thepeerage

I've come across an error on there  (they made an incorrect assumption) but it may be of some help to you.

Just had a quick look and it looks promising, will have to take the time to look.  Am trying to establish or debunk family legend that there is an Ear/Marques/Viscount depending on who you talk to..... ;D

Thanks for the hint