Author Topic: parentage of Eleanor Thompson ~1793 to 1873 dies Crosby Ravensworth?  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
I hope someone can help me.

My husband is descended from Mary Thompson and James Salkeld who married in Crosby Ravensworth in 1835.

Mary Thompson was born (possibly Ravenstonedale) around 1815.  She has one brother William Thompson who was born (Ravenstonedale or Crosby Ravensworth) around 1818.  Their mother is Eleanor Thompson who dies 26 July 1873 in Crosby Ravensworth.  Eleanor never married.

Eleanor is living in Crosby Ravensworth from 1839 (possibly earlier) and by 1851 is living with/next door to her daughter Mary.  She is listed as an annuitant on the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census, her age is consistent througout and her birthplace is consistently given as Crosby Ravensworth.

Her death certificate states that she is the daughter of Joseph Thompson a carpenter.

Mary's christening may take place in Ravenstonedale on 18 July 1815 and William's christening (to Ellen rather than Eleanor) in Crosby Ravensworth on 21 June 1818.  The census records for William and Mary are inconsistent wrt their place of birth.

I wish to establish a) Eleanor's parentage b) Mary and William's parentage.

I have found a Joseph Thompson carpenter in Crosby Ravensworth who married Mary Robinson in 1783.  They have several children but Mary dies in 1789.  I wonder if Eleanor is an illegitimate child of this Joseph.  On the 1841 census, Eleanor is living with an Eleanor Robinson.  I have wondered whether this Eleanor Robinson is 1) her mother 2) Mary Robinson's sister.

I don't have much information to help with Mary and William's father.  I suspect he may have lived in Ravenstonedale.  William named one of his children Millner so I wonder if that is another clue.  I assume the father may have been in a position to set up an annuity for Eleanor.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: parentage of Eleanor Thompson ~1793 to 1873 dies Crosby Ravensworth?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 July 05 09:01 BST (UK) »
Have you searched the actual parish registers?   If not then that would be the next step.  They often have extra snippets of information about families - addresses, occupations etc.     If you are not near enough to go to the record office then you can order the film from your nearest LDS centre.    Listed on www.familysearch.org and they are worldwide.    Have you looked to see if anyone is doing a one name study of Salkeld?   There is a new website for the Genealogical Research Dictionary which may be worth a look.  In my copy of the 2002 book there are various people researching that name in Cumberland and Westmorland.   On the BVRI there is a possible James baptised in Kirkby Stephen - very close by, to Jonathan and Mary 4th Nov 1814.
Good Luck
Andrea

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: parentage of Eleanor Thompson ~1793 to 1873 dies Crosby Ravensworth?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 05 15:19 BST (UK) »
Andrea
Thanks for the reply.  I had corresponded with a few people researching the Salkeld family and that has been useful for Salkelds but not for Thompsons.  The lady who currently lives in the house occupied by Eleanor has also provided some interesting stuff.

I haven't seen the parish registers - it's one of the things I need to do. 

I think I made a mistake in assuming that Mary Thompson (nee Robinson) dies prior to Eleanor's birth.  For the moment I'm assuming that Joseph and Mary are her parents.   It still would be nice to find Eleanor's christening and the name of her children's father.
Deborah