Author Topic: Help in finding my great grandad please  (Read 3999 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help in finding my great grandad please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 13:11 BST (UK) »
Maybe a little more confusion?

The marriage that you have for Hugh McMenemeny Snr to an Agnes McDonald in 1873 in Dundee shows Hugh Snr being a marble cutter/fitter.

It is Hugh Jnr. born c. 1872 who shows as a carter by occupation in later years.

For Hugh Jnr, you have the following docs/images:

1872 birth of an illegitimate boy in Dundee, Hugh MacDonald, to Anges MacDonald (your Hugh Jnr was pretty consistent with his Dundee birth place).
1873 marriage between a Hugh McMenemeny (Snr) and an Agnes MacDonald
1881-1891 You have the family of Hugh McMenemy and Agnes, with their children in Glasgow, including the Dundee born eldest, Hugh Jnr. Indeed, in 1891, Hugh Jnr shows as just married with his wife Margaret in household of his parents.
1901 onwards, you have your Hugh Jnr with his wife and family going forward.

So, apart from a mistake/variation of mother Agnes' surname from MacDonald to Dowl on her son's marriage entry in 1890-1, you have so much on his whole family! Who were the witnesses to this marriage? What address was given for Hugh Jnr. at the time of his marriage to Margaret?

Have you checked Hugh Jnr.'s death registration to see what that says?

Have you firmed up and viewed Hugh McMenemy Snr and Agnes' marriage and death cert to firm up their parents?

You are pretty much there, murphydog, with all your hard work  ;)

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline murphydog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

You are a genius - thank you!

I've looked for a death cert for Hugh many times over the last couple of years and never had any luck.  Would you believe I've just found it!  I've searched with the mothers maiden name Dowl or McDonald with no luck.  I've just done a search without the mothers maiden name and there his is married to Margaret Boyle - his parents names were Hugh McMenemy and Agnes McDowell - got to be them.

The thing that was throwing me was that everyone seemed to be from Glasgow and then a random birth in Dundee.  Both his parents were born in Glasgow but married in Dundee mmmm problem for another day I think.

Many thanks for your help. :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 14:11 BST (UK) »
All sorts of reasons why they may have met and married in Dundee. My ggg grandfather Patrick Tulley, a mason from Lanarkshire, was in Rothesay in the early 1880s, working most likely. He there met and married Margaret MacDonald from Moidart in the Highlands, who was in service in a big house in the north of Bute in the 1880s.

This all happens...even today  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elaine McAllister

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 January 19 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am descended from Hugh McMenemy, your Grans brother.