Author Topic: Family Historian, am I thick? Gedcom disaster  (Read 14926 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Family Historian, am I thick? Gedcom disaster
« Reply #27 on: Friday 25 September 15 15:10 BST (UK) »
Example of a Descendant Narrative Report with census info (again the formating is out because I had to save it as a text file to be able to copy):

Maria CLAYTON (bap.1808, bur.1889)
________________________________________________________________________________

1. Maria CLAYTON, daughter of Edward CLAYTON ( -aft1810) and Sarah HAYDON (bap.1773, bur.1833), was baptised on 24 January 1808 at Enfield St Andrew, Middlesex. She married James HYETT on 11 December 1826 at Edmonton All Saints, Middlesex. The ceremony was conducted by Dawson Warren, the vicar.  Both James and Maria made their mark. On 6 June 1841, the night of the Census, they were resident at Game's Yard, Enfield, Middlesex with their children Mary, Elizabeth, Richard, Charles, Robert and John.  James is described as an Agricultural Labourer. On 30 March 1851, the night of the Census, they were resident at Parsonage Lane, Enfield, Middlesex with their their children Richard, Charles, John, Henry and Susannah.  James is described as an agricultural labourer. On 7 April 1861, the night of the Census, she was resident at 7 Loves Row, Enfield, Middlesex, with her son Henry and a lodger.  Also resident at the same address are her daughter Mary, son in law John Coleman and grandchildren Charlotte Coleman, George Coleman and Amos Coleman.  She is described as a Char Woman. On 2 April 1871, the night of the Census, she was resident at Loves Row, Enfield, Middlesex, with her widowed son in law John Coleman and grandson Amos Coleman.  Also lodging in the house is her future husband William Hudson. She married William HUDSON on 22 October 1871 at Enfield St Andrew. The marriage was witnessed by Maria's daughter and her future son in law (daughter Elizabeth's second husband) Susannah HYATT and David JONES. The ceremony was conducted by E W Kempe, curate.  Both William and Susannah signed the register, Maria made her mark. On 27 Sept 1878 she was the informant on the death certificate of her half sister Sarah Haydon's partner William HOLLAND where she is described as his sister. On 3 April 1881, the night of the Census, she was resident at 7 Loves Row, with her widowed son in law John Coleman and four other lodgers.  Her occupation is described as lodging house keeper and poor relief. She was buried on 7 March 1889 at Enfield St Andrew.

James HYETT, son of Richard HYATT (bap.1775, bur.1832) and Elizabeth HUGHES (bap.1767, d.1842), was born on 8 May 1806. He was baptised on 1 June 1806 at Edmonton All Saints. He was buried on 21 August 1858 at Enfield St Andrew.  He and Maria CLAYTON had the following children:

+2      Mary HYATT (bap.1827, d.1861)
   3      Eliza HYATT (bap.1829, bur.1833).   Eliza was baptised on 28 July 1829 at Enfield St Andrew. She was buried on 28 October 1833 at Enfield St Andrew.
   +4      Richard HYATT (bap.1831, d.1905)
   +5      Elizabeth Anne HYATT (bap.1834, d.aft1901)
   +6      Charles HYATT (bap.1836, d.1895)
   7      Robert HYATT (bap.1838, bur.1847).   Robert was baptised on 8 April 1838 at Enfield St Andrew. On 6 June 1841, the night of the Census, he was resident at Game's Yard, with his parents and siblings Mary, Elizabeth, Richard, Charles and John. He was buried on 9 January 1847 at Enfield St Andrew.
   +8      John HYATT (bap.1840, d.1903)
   +9      Henry HYATT (bap.1842, d.1899)
   +10      Susannah HYATT (1845-1899)
   11      Jane HYATT (bap.1848, bur.1849).   Jane was baptised on 30 July 1848 at Enfield St Andrew. She was buried on 24 June 1849 at Enfield St Andrew.

William HUDSON was born in 1813. On 2 April 1871 he was resident at Loves Row for the census lodging with his future wife Maria Hyatt nee Clayton, her widowed son in law John Coleman and grandson Amos Coleman.  He is described as an agricultural labourer. He died Q1 1876 in Edmonton Registration District.

No birthplace listed on the 1871 Census when he was lodging with Maria Hyatt nee Clatyon.

~~~~~~~~
Second Generation
~~~~~~~~
2. Mary HYATT, daughter of James HYETT and Maria CLAYTON, was baptised on 20 May 1827 at Enfield St Andrew, Middlesex. On 6 June 1841, the night of the Census, she was resident at Game's Yard, Enfield, Middlesex, with her parents and siblings Elizabeth, Richard, Charles, Robert and John. She married John COLEMAN on 24 May 1846 at Enfield Highway St James, Middlesex. On 7 April 1861, the night of the Census, they were resident at 7 Loves Row, Enfield, Middlesex with their three children.  John is described as an agricultural labourer and the family are lodging in the same house as Mary's mother and brother, Maria Hyatt nee Clayton and Henry Hyatt, and another lodger. She died Q4 1861 in Edmonton Registration District.

John COLEMAN was born in 1821 at Enfield, Middlesex. On 2 April 1871, the night of the Census, he was resident at Loves Row, Enfield, Middlesex, with his son Amos Coleman and widowed mother in law Maria Hyatt nee Clayton.  He is described as an agricultural labourer. On 3 April 1881, the night of the Census, he was resident at 7 Loves Row, with his mother in law Maria Hudson nee Clayton and four other lodgers.  He is described as a farm labourer. He died in 1893 in Edmonton Registration District.  He and Mary HYATT had the following children:

+12      Charlotte COLEMAN (bap.1848, d.1890)
   +13      George COLEMAN (bap.1849, d.aft1881)
   +14      Amos COLEMAN (bap.1852, d.1933)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 25 September 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
Those reports look great and make sense which is what you want if you need to share it with family as they don't understand our little hobby.

Well done!!!!
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 25 September 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
This discussion has been so encouraging, I have downloaded a trial version of the latest FH and am giving it another go. Thanks very much, folks  :)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 04 October 15 14:34 BST (UK) »
I've been using FH since V3. By any standard, it is a program with a great deal of flexibility. As a result, it can appear daunting to some users. I too have used FHUG forums and crossed swords with some of the more experienced contributors.

If I may make the following suggestions.

Don't try to do too much at the start. Use a tree with only a few people and experiment, taking regular backups. Use the included documentation on the help files and the tutorials.  Only change one thing at a time, then you know exactly what the change does. As you become confident in your own abilities, you can start to make changes to your main GEDCOM tree. After all the time I've been using FH I've only recently started to look at the way the sentence templates can be modified to make reports read more easily. Use the FHUG FAQ sections to make sure you understand where templates and options are help so that you can move them if you change the location of your tree. When recording facts, make sure you reference the source as it's so frustrating when you don't. Make sure that titles to sources and image files are meaningful, and have a consistent style. I have lots of newspaper cuttings and 1940 Page 1 does little to tell me which newspaper it refers to :O . Above all, take time to explore the possibilities of the software and don't be discouraged if you don't always get the result you want: there's always more than one way to skin a cat :) Above all, take regular backups so that you can reverse changes if you need to.

My major gripe has always been the lack of a proper text editor that allows the use of rich text. It's been hinted to me that this major shortcoming will be resolved, but no dates have been given.

As far as FHUG is concerned, you could always PM the site moderator Jane Taubman to provide feedback on your experience.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Just been pointed to this topic - thanks smudwhisk - and it's really helpful, as I've been having the same issues with formatting reports. Can't wait to get home tonight to try out some of the suggestions.

Now i only need to decide whether to carry on with my new tree (where I've been adding all the details from the certificates, which is causing the multiple sentences in reports) or use the large file imported from Ancestry (which has lots of notes already added but has been going since i started my family history research and could do with being tidied up - and superfluous people being removed ;D). Decisions, decisions  ;D

But I'm really pleased with FH6 and glad i went with it after trying out several other options.

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 14:25 GMT (UK) »
I also am trying to get my head around FH after many years of using FTM.
It is very frustrating at times I seriously dislike the "sentence"
 For instance a marriage of mine the sentence says "They experienced Single on 13 May 1879 in Sleaford Lincolnshire"  ???
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 14:34 GMT (UK) »
From what I've seen on the User Group, if ever a sentence comes up with 'experienced' it's due to the import of a non-standard fact

If you join up here http://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/

and ask on the Importing and Exporting board then there should be a solution forthcoming

BTW: You'll be asked whether you followed the Import from FTM to Family Historian instructions in the Knowledge Base which is supposed to iron out a lot of problems
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Ok that makes sense, as I did not use the sources in FTM. But put all my findings, details etc in the notes as I much preferred that.
I will just have to grit my teeth and bang my head against the wall occasionally- me thinks  ::)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Just to add that if the information in the notes is in a consistent format, there may be ways to automate bulk changes which goes for other repetitive tasks (these are done by the plug-ins you may have seen or read about)
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE