Author Topic: W Bagley from Pilton  (Read 5439 times)

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: W Bagley from Pilton
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 September 15 11:00 BST (UK) »

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 September 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

I've traced your Charles Bagley in 1884 and again in 1890, working as a Baker's Mate on board passenger ships:

1884 - the SS City of Chicago (Inman Line), which sailed between Liverpool and New York

1890 - a large passenger steamer, the SS City of New York (Inman Line), which sailed between Liverpool and New York between 1888 and 1893.

For example, a manifest of crew lists from 1890 shows Charles signing up on 26.09.1890. The ship sailed for New York on October 8th and arrived: "Queenstown 1890-10-02, arrived New York at 06:00 morning after crossing the Atlantic Ocean in only 5 days and 16 hours".

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=ciny3

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=cichi

The crew lists are available in Liverpool Central Library. For "City of New York" look up Ref: 387 CRE/220 and for "City of Chicago" look up Ref: 387 CRE/212. The entries also include the names of the previous vessels the crew had worked on and their salary.

Offline G N Asher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 16:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Vimto,that fills some gaps and points me somewhere else to look.
Henry and Hannah were Charles elder siblings.Both died far to young.
Hannah 6 years of age and Henry only about 14 months.
Charles maybe had a change of heart when living with Nicholson the baker because he changed from a
french polisher to become a baker.
Thanks again,Dave.

Offline Patricia Parrish

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 April 16 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, I. too, am new to this forum

William Bagley was also my ancestor. His son, Richard Lockington Bagley was my g.grandfather.

I've traced William Bagley back to Pilton and his parents Joseph and Martha.
I've not been able to track him down in 1841, although he may have been working as a servant in Ratcliffe on Soar, about 30 miles from Pilton.

His wife Jane Davenport's father, Henry Davenport was transported to Tasmania for 7 years in 1837 for stealing beans. His trial was at Warwick assizes. He would have been 42 at the time, and his height is noted as 5'5".  Amazingly, he got back to his family and lived to the grand age of 87.

Jane and William's eldest son, Henry Thomas emigrated and died in Rhode Island USA in 1917.

I would love to find out more about Joseph Bagley  born c1794 in Pilton, and his wife Martha Barfield, who was described as 'widow of this parish' when she married Joseph, and gives Ireland as her birthplace on later census records.