Author Topic: Missing in action.  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Paul104

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing in action.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 July 20 12:13 BST (UK) »
I found details for my grandfather's being reported missing on the Forces War Records site.  The delay between capture and the next of kin being informed could be very long.  My grandfather was captured on the first or second day of the German counteroffensive on the Aisne so around the 27th May 1918 however he was not reported as missing until 27th July 1918.  A further three months passed before he was reported as a POW on 28th October.

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 August 20 09:57 BST (UK) »
I found details for my grandfather's being reported missing on the Forces War Records site.  The delay between capture and the next of kin being informed could be very long.  My grandfather was captured on the first or second day of the German counteroffensive on the Aisne so around the 27th May 1918 however he was not reported as missing until 27th July 1918.  A further three months passed before he was reported as a POW on 28th October.

Paul104,I'm sorry,I seem to missed your reply to this post,so a belated thank you for responding. This is very similar to my man's predicament (or should I say his wife's?),hard times indeed for those left waiting at home. Tom.
Calland/Campbell/Pilkington/Wignall/Varley/Briscoe

Offline Paul104

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 August 20 15:51 BST (UK) »
In the meantime I have read "British Prisoners of War in First World War Germany" by Oliver Wilkinson.  In it the author states: "In theory, as soon as a man was captured he was given a postcard to send home which... conveyed his name, number, regiment and nature of wounds (if any)."  How soon any of these cards might reach the next of kin is unclear and notice he writes "in theory".  No one in our family has seen any such card if indeed one was sent by my grandfather.

The book is an interesting read if you are interested in finding out more about how POWs were treated and how they coped with captivity.

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 August 20 17:52 BST (UK) »
In the meantime I have read "British Prisoners of War in First World War Germany" by Oliver Wilkinson.  In it the author states: "In theory, as soon as a man was captured he was given a postcard to send home which... conveyed his name, number, regiment and nature of wounds (if any)."  How soon any of these cards might reach the next of kin is unclear and notice he writes "in theory".  No one in our family has seen any such card if indeed one was sent by my grandfather.

The book is an interesting read if you are interested in finding out more about how POWs were treated and how they coped with captivity.
Hi Paul,that sounds like a good read,I'll have a mooch on Amazon,thanks for the tip.
Calland/Campbell/Pilkington/Wignall/Varley/Briscoe