Author Topic: Victoria: Joseph RHYMES, born c 1830, Stoke Damerel, Devon  (Read 1793 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Victoria: Joseph RHYMES, born c 1830, Stoke Damerel, Devon
« on: Thursday 24 September 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Joseph RHYMES, born c1830, Stoke Damerel, Devon, parents Samuel and Ann, arrived in Geelong aboard the "Eden" as an "Exile for 10 years on 04/02/1849.....he was then sent on to Portland Bay via the"Sophia".  That is the last sighting.   I have tried TROVE and FamilySearch, using variants RHIMES, RIMES, RYMES, but no success sadly.

Can anyone help please ???

Tony

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria: Joseph RHYMES, born c 1830, Stoke Damerel, Devon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 September 15 00:32 BST (UK) »
http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/park12.html

Retrained as a tailor; refer - 'HO 11/15 p336; Imm p270' 

Hi Tony,

I have posted the above link to help other RChatters reading this thread.

South Australian newspaper cutting  http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/71600445  25 Jan 1845

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline LoganH

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 September 15 07:51 BST (UK) »
Interesting situation for Portland residents -

South Australian Gazette and Mining Journal 10th March 1849

Portland Bay.  Convicts at Portland. - Sixty Pentonville, Parkhurst, and other prisoners arrived yesterday morning per Sophia, and were landed within an hour of the vessel dropping her anchor. A report soon became current in town that they were a band of desperadoes, and would require severe police supervision to keep them in order. A requistion was instantly drawn up by the inhabitants, and addressed to the Police Magistrate and the other Justice of the Peace associated with him, which being numerously signed was presented, in the course of the forenoon, to the Bench, sitting at the time, by a deputation of the inhabitants. In answer thereto, Mr Blair stated, that from his own observation, the opinion of his brother Justices (Messrs. S.C. Henty and H. Flower), confirmed by the apprehensions of the inhabitants, he should appoint, if possible, six night watchmen, as a temporary preventive against the commission of crime. With this assurance the deputation was perfectly satisfied, and the inhabitants relieved of the apprehension which had at first been created on learning their character. The whole were, for sometime, assembled in the police yard, and open to the inspection of any who might wish to see them. The majority are youths, under twenty years of age, and a few not more, perhaps, than fifteen years old. The greater part of them are respectable looking lads, and despite the unfavorable circumstances in which they appear, we sincerely hope many of them will prove valuable servants and good subjects. - Guardian , 23rd February.

A month later Mr Blair wrote to La Trobe on the 21st March 1849

'I have the honor to acquaint you that, having required the Exiles to pull down the fence of the Survey paddock, they all, with the exception of four boys and one man, refused, after they had thrown down a few panels, to perform any more work. I therefore discharged them from Barracks, warning them at the same time to find immediate employment, or to leave the town. The four boys are employed for the present in assisting three men whom I have hired, to remove the fence, and the man, who was formerly an overseer, acts as cook and wardsman. When this work is done, which will probably be in two or three days, I intend to employ them under the superintendence of a Constable, in clearing some of the new roads in the paddock'.

Perhaps you can contact the Portland Family History Group to see if they can do further research for you.  -
https://www.ourcommunity.com.au/directories/listing?id=16325

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 September 15 13:50 BST (UK) »
JM and LoganH,

Thank you for the background.......I was not aware of the articles, but as TROVE etc. continue to expand more and more of this information becomes gratifyingly available.   However, the "convict stain" still existed to some extent when I landed in Port Phillip aboard the "Fair Sky" as a £10 POM.......God was a boy then!!!!!

Now to Joseph RHYMES ???   Whatever happened to him :'(   His two co-defendants , also transported as "Exiles" via Parkhurst Prison, have been documented as successfully absorbed into colonial society. 

Thank you again for the help........I will try the Portland Family History Group as suggested.

Tony