Author Topic: children orphaned  (Read 6313 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: children orphaned
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 September 15 11:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jaywit,
I had a browse, and then had to stop myself sending off for a sub  the OH is off out and it was tempting  :) but naughty so didn't spend -- will hopefully come across the article in some way shape or form. 

Going to send off for the details of the childrens stay in the home... now so that will be interesting -
It says visits to the actual place are allowed and then you can pay to see original docs.. OOOH a day out to Bristol would be good... just for that .

Off to garden cant believe the weather.. too too beautiful.

xin

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 28 September 15 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Did you get the image you wanted xinia .

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 28 September 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy - I have sent off to the orphanage and hopefully that will come through in a few weeks.

sounds exciting to be able to see the records.. fingers crossed.

And sorry yes did manage to download the FindMyPast image thanks :) :)
but as yet not found the article in the magazine..  hopefully see if the post office has a copy within next couple of days.   Don't want to sign up for sub...

;) ;) ;)

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 October 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
A wonderful bundle of information came today -  every detail that I needed - WOW and not too costly.

I have so much regarding the family now, its is great. 

One important question I had has been answered, for which I am grateful, that being what happened in the interim between parents dying and children  accepted in the Home. 
That is all explained in detail by the local Clergyman who was the wonderful person who instigated the childrens care.  I must find more on that man...
Two children were with Paternal Grandparents and Two with Maternal  - until the family and the clergy were concerned that they weren't coping.   The Maternal Gran - was very concerned about them being sent to the workhouse. 

OH DEAR  I need some happy pills --- some good news and something lovely to think about... to cheer this old lady up...

off now to re-read the info and find more on Mr Pugh..

xin

Offline GMCT_archivist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 21 March 16 13:21 GMT (UK) »
You need to be careful with stories in magazines and newspapers that claim to be the memoirs of children who were at the Ashley Down orphanage.  We are aware of two such stories (which say how horrible it was) but the child was never admitted to Ashley Down!!

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 January 19 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Re-working this lot today

see other posts and yes it was my Lavinia's death Groom 

all these years later finally tidying up the bits and pieces..

hoping to find a descendant of this family to give my findings to.

xin
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=806482.new#new

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 14 January 19 23:19 GMT (UK) »
still working that there family (sssh)

I have been searching the web for clues - was it Influenza or something.. 

just so bloomin sad  :( :(

xin

Hi xin

There were so many ways to die in the 1850s that if it was something fairly common it probably wouldn't rate a mention in the newspapers. TB was common and catching and poverty another cause of death.

In Basingstoke near where I now live there was an outbreak of cholera that killed quite a few people around that time. Workmen were installing a new main foul sewer through the town and while it was being built sections of it were stopped up with large wooden bungs presumably to prevent workmen from being drowned by accidental flooding or rats getting in. Unfortunately they forgot to remove one of the bungs and then started using it to drain some of the the town's lavatories. Nearby there was a well which provided drinking water for many of the houses and also supplied the laundry. When the sewer backed up and overflowed it not only inundated the outhouses but it also ran through the soil and down into the well. Cholera was the inevitable result of drinking sewerage mixed in with drinking water.You can see why people drank lots of beer can't you? :)

Thought you'd like my little story!

Tony

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 00:07 GMT (UK) »
EEEK

hello Tony :) 

hope all is good.

Thanks for that ..... delightful info.....  ha ha

I found the information regarding the Parents deaths.. it was included in the documents which were sent to me from the orphanage..

and it was so sad...   the Mother died of Typhus... and the Father of Hydrocaphelus  (water on the brain? ) 

within four months of each other.   I wonder why the Father should suddenly come down with that.. strange.

xin

picked up this family again now after all these years.   but they are wearing me down yet again... sadly