Author Topic: Surgeon Francis Goold  (Read 5617 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surgeon Francis Goold
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 26 September 15 17:31 BST (UK) »
Millions left Ireland in the mid to late 1840's, of course before and after so you may have your hands full.

It's a great piece of work that you are doing.

Fair Play !

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 26 September 15 17:39 BST (UK) »
You may have this already but I shall post just in case !

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 26 September 15 17:39 BST (UK) »
. . . second part of the list . . .

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 26 September 15 17:58 BST (UK) »

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 26 September 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
My only suggestions are ~

FindMyPast.ie has an old newspaper section ~ €10 a month subscription

irishnewspaperarchives has a huge old newspaper section ~ €10 / 24 hr sub ~ €30 one month sub

The 24 hour sub goes in too quickly as each page can be slow to upload so the one month sub is your best bet.

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 26 September 15 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan

You know on your 'Passengers & Crew' Page

Cabin Passenger Survivors
    Cabin Passengers Drowned
    Crew Survivors
    Steerage Passenger Survivors
    Steerage Passengers Drowned

Might it be an idea to add a 6th page ~ Full List

It's just that for the likes of me say who wants to go in and see is there any names that I could look into researching, well at the mo I'm going in and out of each page and losing track.

If the 6th page was then like a table,

Every person assigned a number:

Then ~

Name
Age (Granted most will be unknown but could be filled in if / when info found)
Occupation (Granted most will be unknown but could be filled in if / when info found)
Place of Birth (Granted most will be unknown but could be filled in if / when info found)
Status 1. (Crew or Passenger)
Status 2. (Survived / Drowned / Exited Early)
Status 3. (Here could be the info that you have found to date on this person)

Sorry, not for a minute wanting to be telling you how to do your job ~

It's all just a suggestion that make make it easier for the likes of me and others here who might like to poke around and see if there are any lines that we could help with.

All The Best

Tara

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 26 September 15 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara

Thanks for taking an interest in the site, your suggestions are all good and are things I have thought of doing but I did try and reject them.
I did give everybody numbers first starting as you would with the Captain, Crew, Cabin passengers, steerage passengers and I did not like it very much it seemed very impersonal, I have got quite fond of some of the characters and calling somebody number 157 I just did not like. No offense meant but you do not seem like the kind of person who would like the Captain to be number 1 and the cabin passengers at a higher number than the steerage. To be honest I think if I had put your great, great, great, great, great, great Auntie twice removed at number 250 you would be getting tore into me, as we say in Scotland.
By putting the people on separate pages I have avoided any hierarchy and protected myself from the wrath of Irish people who only have poor Aul labourers in their family tree.
I have remembered why I did not do all the lists alphabetically  I think the problem was different family groups with the same surname, it got complicated. In some of the newspaper articles the interviews along the way back to Liverpool identical  surnames were separated into family groups I wanted to keep that where possible. I did not have that luxury with the steerage passengers  as they were all lumped together.

To be honest I have never had a website, never dreamed I would have and I am not really computer literate so any changes I do are a struggle and a steep learning curve. I have a wife a full time job, two daughters, a dog, a croft, a small sadly neglected yacht, , I am hoping to and have begun to write a book about the Annie Jane. Oh and did I mention a web site!!! And I am not even going to mention the rabbit problem.
I ask myself why start this now?  after all I have put it off for ten years, would be better to wait till I retire, Well at the moment the monument and possibly the graves are threatened by coastal erosion so now seems the right time to raise awareness of the tragedy, which to be honest has been very much forgotten about. If it wasn't by the goodness of a wealthy philanthropist in 1880 who happened to hear the story there would not even be a monument. So that's sort of sad. I have yet to hear from anybody in Ireland that they had heard of this tragedy before or know of this spot where the bones of so many their countrymen and women lie buried. That's sort of sad to.

Thanks again for your help and your interest. And I hope you will dip into the list and see if you can find anybody and encourage other amateur genealogists from other areas to do the same. I think with your experience of Irish searching you will have more luck than me.

Regards Allan

The Irish Newspaper archives, is it searchable? and do they have papers that are not already in the British newspaper archives? I have already been through all the Irish newspapers on that site. I am afraid that poor people did not have the money spare for obituary's

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 27 September 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
there was a monument put at vatersay out hebrides the bid issue did at piece on this in feb 13 2015

http://www.bigissue.com

type in search box - Annie Jane