Author Topic: Stockport & Reddish Sunday Football Records  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stockport & Reddish Sunday Football Records
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 September 15 15:05 BST (UK) »
Well, heatherjulie, we're both wrong!

I thought that the Stockport Express was bought out by the Stockport Advertiser, umpteen years ago, but it was the other way round - I know 'cos I saw last week's on sale this morning. The "Express' may have been taken over by the MEN but it's still published under its own name.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 September 15 16:50 BST (UK) »
Quite right Ray although you can be forgiven for thinking it was the other way round.
When the Express and the Advertiser merged in the 1980s the paper was known as the
Stockport Express Advertiser.
The Advertiser bit was dropped a few years later.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks All,
I will explore the various suggestions you have made. I guess my best bet is via a local library but that will have to wait as I don't live in the North West.
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Offline AB21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 January 24 07:44 GMT (UK) »
I am also trying to do some research on Sunday Football Leagues in the Stockport area (I have lived in Reddish since 2000). What I am trying to find out is in relation to the referees for the Sunday League fixtures! Does anyone know if the referees were part of a referees association (I assume they must have had to be qualified to officiate) at that time?
I have asked my brother-in-law (born in Reddish in the late 1950s) who played in the Stockport and Cheadle League for Fairey Engineering and Manchester Boys but he does not recall much about the referees of the time.