Author Topic: 1901 census Murray  (Read 5733 times)

Offline samurai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1901 census Murray
« on: Wednesday 13 July 05 00:17 BST (UK) »
g'day

I am trying to find infomation on my grandfather James Murray born 26/03/1897 Rhonehouse, Kelton district near Castle Douglas. He married Dorothy Dixon and my father Robert Murray was born in Ashington Northumberland 1929. Any help appreciated.

Regards Sam Murray

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census Murray
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 July 05 02:48 BST (UK) »
James Murray born 26th March 1897 in Rhonehouse, Kelton Dumfries.

Fathers name John Murray he was a cattle dealer

Mothers name Margaret Murray nee Kirkland.

John and Margaret were married December 27th 1889

best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline samurai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 July 05 04:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mo

This information is great. I am trying to get into contact with relatives in england to get a background on them, my family came to Australia in 1970 and I have not heard from any of the Murrays in England in that time, a good opportunity to make contact thanks.

Regards Sam

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hello cousin Sam Murray.

When I read this message I nearly fell off my chair in surprise.

Your grandfather James Murray was the younger brother of my grandfather Matthew Murray.

When I first read the message I thought I had read the information wrongly.  Though very helpful, Moscat has given you information that is in error.  Your great grandfather - and mine !!! was James Murray not John.  His wife Maggie was indeed a Kirkland before she was married.  If it hadn't been for this bit of information I think I would have passed it by as yet another Murray not connected to us.  There are plenty of them - my research so far has reveiled that!!!

It has taken me months and months and obsessive months of researching but I have traced our ancestors back to 1811.

I live in Bedlington, Northumberland, England.  Bedlington is an old coal mining town next to Ashington in Northumberland. My father, your father's full cousin, was born the youngest of four children to Matthew and his first wife, Eliza Elliott.  My grandmother died within months of giving birth to my father and Matthew remarried again.  As much as I understand he had four more children.  My father was born and brought up in North Northumberland in a tiny village called Howick - it is actually the home of the world famous Earl Grey's who were associated with politics and imported and exotic tea (beverage)of all things.  My father married my mother and moved to Bedlington. My father died in 1984.  His father Matthew died in 1963.  I never met, nor knew my grandfather. 

I am so absolutely staggered that I have found you.

I have been trying to trace our great great great grandfather through his siblings.  I put the expression 'Samuel Murray AND balmaclellan' into a search engine and - Hey Presto found your message.

Please, please do keep in touch.

Your delighted and still very surprised cousin.

J.A.

SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline samurai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 August 05 12:43 BST (UK) »
G'day J.A
I have a photo of Grandad  James Murray and one of his brothers or Gran Murray's(not sure who)and Gran Murray nee Dorothy Dixon I will try to post the picture, also I have the name Bailey, Station Road Ashington, as one of their Granparents but not sure possibly on the Dixon side.Photo is mid 60s they are living in Conisbrough
Regards Sam.
photo too big 800kb