Author Topic: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)  (Read 21463 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 11:44 BST (UK) »
Regarding James Prince of Selby, England, Master of the Aid, Spirit Merchant and Ship owner.
Newspaper, Deaths, December 1808
Last week, Mr. James Prince, of Selby, chief owner of the Brig Aid, a regular trader from York to London.

Some research notes (research Tree attached) to date about James Prince and his Wife Arabella Prince (nee Arabella Wardle). James Prince, Gentleman and Widower, of the Parish of Selby, Yorkshire, married Arabella Sissons, Widow in 1801 by Licence.

Arabella's first marriage: John Sissons of this Parish [Kirk Fenton] and Arabella Wardle of the Parish of Cawood, in 1791, at Kirk Fenton, Yorkshire, England, by Licence.

Arabella born about 1744 - 1745 from the ages given on the transcribed Licence applications, not seen.

At an initial glance only, it seems Arabella might have been baptised as Isabella? But no firm evidence whatsoever.

I cannot find any Wardle, nor Wardale / Wardell link to Malton, Yorkshire and the Jane Wardale mentioned in the Will of James HOOD of Scarborough Proved Dec 1782, Sister Jane WARDALE, alias WARDLE, signed Wardell or Wardele at her marriage.
 ----------
Back to James Prince dying Selby 1808.

TNA, Kew, IR 26/431/374 Abstract of Will of James Prince, Spirit merchant of Selby, Yorkshire. Proved in the Court of York, 1809.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7219238

The daughter of the above James Prince was Mary Ann Prince who was present at the 1794 Marriage of Maudland Hood of Selby (Maudland Hood born Scarborough, Yorkshire).

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 20:47 BST (UK) »
The following Will must be linked to the above nee Mary Ann Prince / Mary Ann Foster / Mary Ann Taylor of Selby, her Father James Prince married Grace Marshall in 1767 at Scarborough.

TNA, Kew, England
PROB 11/1721/249 Will of Ann Marshall, Spinster of Scarborough , Yorkshire, 1827
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6393936

In the 1827 Will (written 25th August 1821), Ann Marshall mentions Niece, Mary Ann Taylor and her two children Thomas Taylor and James Taylor. Jane Heward* the widow of Joseph Howard* and Daughter of James and Elizabeth Marshall. My Nephew William Prince. Jane Prince, Sole Executrix. Jane Prince, Spinster, Proves the Will.
* These PCC Wills are copies, one copied Heward and the other Howard.

Looking at Yorkshire on f m p the following look to be the above family:-
1761 12th April at Scarborough by Licence (ages from Licence transcription - Not seen)
James Marshall, 28
Elizabeth Stephenson, 23
Present: John Cornforth (possibly present as a church man)
Elizabeth Witty

1808, at Scarborough, by Licences (ages in Marriage Register)
Joseph Heward, 50, Widower, Ship Builder
Present: Judith Stephenson
Jonathan Huntriss

Joseph Heward
A burial[?] at Scalby but relationships for men don't seem to be given (whereas, Wife or Parent to dec'd is), nor their trade and also James Heward, age, suggests he was 8 yrs older at Marriage (if the burial is the correct one?).
Scalby Burials
Joseph Heward, 64, Abode Scarborough, 28th August 1814
(The Scalby burial age is far too much at odds for me, to be accepted as correct without a secondary corroborating piece of evidence e.g. a Will or M.I., Property Deed, Inquest, or newspaper Notice etc., to link him to the marriage).

Mark