Author Topic: Canadian War Brides WW2  (Read 7319 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian War Brides WW2
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 October 15 00:26 BST (UK) »
I have checked the Montreal city directories for that timeframe and at the address, 5577 Hutchison (note spelling), there is an Alfred Karch, but no listing for Bourque, so he may have just been a tenant.

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 October 15 11:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking that up for me - I'm sorry it's drawn a blank.  The address appeared on the passenger list, I haven't got any other information at the moment.

You are probably right and he was a tenant and moved whilst his son was in England and was not able to contact him with a new address.  Is there anything else I can do to push this research further, either via RootsChat or on my own?

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 October 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
I've posted a reply to your other response without reading this first.  Yes, I could get the marriage certificate although that might also have the address I gave you as it was only a few weeks before she sailed that they were married.  I have no information about which regiment he was in, but I do have his regimental number and some other information regarding his army position (but only numbers, no name of regiment etc.) 

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 October 15 12:43 BST (UK) »
The marriage record should give his age and the name of at least his father (in full vs. just initials).  When you're working with so little, every little bit helps.

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 October 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, you are right about every little piece of information being important, so it's the marriage certificate next.  I did wonder if there was any way I could find out which regiment etc. he was in, there are quite a few records of Canadian soldiers in England, and there might be some personal details on that.  (next of kin, home addresses etc.).  But I shall start with the marriage certificate and see where that leads me.

Many thanks for your help.

Honeybun

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 October 15 13:28 BST (UK) »

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 October 15 14:30 BST (UK) »
That's amazing!  Especially as we live about 10 miles from Guildford!

I know there were a lot of Canadian regiments based around this part of Surrey, and I now know which regiment he was in, which also helps when searching.  He was obviously promoted after that photo was taken.

Thank you again.  I never expected to get a photo!

Honeybun

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 October 15 14:34 BST (UK) »
Can't guarantee that he is the right one, but thought it of interest.  What regiment was he in?

There is also a database of Canadian soldiers who were members of the Royal Canadian Legion after the war, and whose deaths appeared in the Last Post Magazine.  It includes service numbers, so perhaps you can make a match, altho' I couldn't come up with an exact match.

https://legionmagazine.com/en/last-post/

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 October 15 15:07 BST (UK) »
He was in the British Columbia Dragoons (so the caption under the photo says).  I'll have a look at the link you sent and see if I can come up with anything.  I presume that he is listed under the spelling Bourgue, and not Burke, which is probably the English version!  Although the General Register Office entry gives both names on the listings.

Honeybun