Author Topic: Still stuck on Robert Walker's parents  (Read 5414 times)

Offline ZerooreZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Still stuck on Robert Walker's parents
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 01:48 BST (UK) »
It may be worth looking at the minutes of the Kilbrandon Kirk Session for the period to see if anything appears. There are detailed proclamations of banns in the minutes from 1825. I looked 1825 - 1840 and there is no Walker marriage of any kind.

Thank you very much for looking into that. :)  (This older Walker seems to be a mystery.  Maybe he was a vagabond.  Dropped into town, had a child out of wedlock, got killed in an accident...)

Offline ZerooreZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 01:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I've read your replies on the newer post.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 08:53 BST (UK) »
It may be worth looking at the minutes of the Kilbrandon Kirk Session for the period to see if anything appears. There are detailed proclamations of banns in the minutes from 1825. I looked 1825 - 1840 and there is no Walker marriage of any kind.

Thank you very much for looking into that. :)  (This older Walker seems to be a mystery.  Maybe he was a vagabond.  Dropped into town, had a child out of wedlock, got killed in an accident...)

If that is the case, the details should be in the kirk session minutes, which are free to read on Scotlandspeople.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 19:41 BST (UK) »
The Muir Buchanan that you found in 1841 www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a1411bdf4040b9d6ef80f08/muir-buchannan-1841-argyllshire-kilbrandon-kilchattn-1805-?locale=en

She looks to have died in the Kilbrandon area at the age of 68 in 1859. Mother's maiden name of Cameron. Don't think she was married as there is no other surname for her listing on the index.

Monica

Thank you.  Yes, that's the entry I found.  I think it's possible this is his mother.

Maybe a mistake made on that 1859 death entry on the mother's maiden name of Cameron?

There is this birth or christening entry in the OPRs showing on SP:

Muir BUCHANNAN
Parents PATRICK BUCHANNAN/FLORY CAMPBELL
01/09/1793
515/10 106
Kilbrandon and Kilchattan

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 19:55 BST (UK) »
George Buchanan, who we have from earlier in Easdale with wife Margaret Stalker and family. There is a family tree which gives his birth details as born c. 1786 in Kilbrandon to Peter Buchanan and Flora Campbell (Patrick and Peter are common first name variants).

This looks likely for his death entry:

George BUCHANAN
Age 84
Mother's maiden name CAMPBELL
515/ 32
Kilbrandon and Kilchattan

Do not know if you can access this via subs to Ancestry, but this is the link to that tree www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/151279151/person/372013043040/facts

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 20:03 BST (UK) »
And confirmation of Robert's mother are to be found on Muir's death reg on 25 Apr 1859 at Balvicar. He was the informant to her death:

Offline ZerooreZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 01:40 BST (UK) »

If that is the case, the details should be in the kirk session minutes, which are free to read on Scotlandspeople.

Thanks for the ideas.  I had a brief look at the Kilbrandon records, and I'll look some more.  I didn't even know that this resource was available.  Even without finding anything about my particular ancestors, it's quite interesting.

Offline ZerooreZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 01:56 BST (UK) »
And confirmation of Robert's mother are to be found on Muir's death reg on 25 Apr 1859 at Balvicar. Her was the informant to her death:

Monica, Thank you very much!  You're the best!  This is going to take a little time for me to digest.  I'm looking at the file from ScotlandsPeople right now.  Robert's signature is also almost exactly the same as it is on the birth register for one of his sons.

I was told that his mother moved down to the Glasgow area with him, but this doesn't seem to be the case, or maybe she did, but temporarily.

I wish I wasn't so busy with work today, because I'd like to spend some more time with this.  Anyway, I'll get back again.

Offline ZerooreZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your help.

This seems to be the current situation regarding finding information about Robert Walker’s parents.  I’m curious what you think:

Robert himself
- from various censuses and other information: born sometime around 1829-1931 in Easdale, Kilbrandon, Kilbarchan (I think this was a mistake), Islay, or Oban.
- Can’t find a record of any Robert Walkers born in Argyll between 1820~1840. - Possibly in Kilbrandon kirk session records, but couldn’t find anything that stuck out.  Maybe I should scour through them.
- is likely the Robert Walker listed in the 1841 census living with the McKay family as a servant in Balvicar
- possibly the Robert Walker listed in the 1851 census living with the Finlay family as a servant in Gimmerscroft, Lanarkshire
- married 1855 in Renfrew, where he lived the rest of his life (however, birthdate, place of birth, and parents aren’t noted on marriage record). - Is the marriage record I saw the only one?  It seems so minimal.

His mother:
- Muir Buchanan (per death record for which Robert was the informant.)
Flora Walker (m.s. Buchanan) as per Robert’s death record (his son James the informant)
Muiraleen Campbell Buchanan as per info passed down in family (no documentation)
- Probably the Muir Buchannan listed in the Old Parish Registers Births and baptisms, 01/09/1793, however her parents are listed as PATRICK Buchannan and Flory CAMPBELL.  (Her death record names her parents as PETER Buchanan and Flora CAMERON) and if born in 1793, she should be about 48 in the 1841 census (although it says she was 36, assuming that’s her).  (She would also be about 36-38 years old at the time of giving birth to her son Robert.)  Then again, the middle-name of Campbell would match up with my family’s record of “Muiraleen Campbell Buchanan”.  Also, according to her death record, she would have been born in 1791 or 1790 (not 1793).
- If she is the Muir Buchanan whose parents are Peter Buchanan and Flora Campbell, then she would very likely be the sister of George Buchanan, whose family tree is found on ancestry.com (I don’t have a subscription, but may do so later.)
- Likely the Muir Buchannan, 36, cottager, living alone, listed in the 1841 census living in Balvicar (although this is about 10 years too young per the birthdate on her death registration)
- Can’t find her in the 1851 census in Argyll or Renfrew
- She doesn’t seem to appear in the Kilbrandon kirk sessions either as getting married or giving birth.  Maybe I have to scour these records.
- Her parents were Peter Buchanan and Flora Buchanan (m.n. Cameron) per her death record
- She was recorded as “single” on her death record, which explains the lack of a marriage record
- According to her death record, her body was buried at the church yard of Kilbrandon.  Unfortunately I couldn’t find any records of her grave on BillionGraves or Find-A-Grave, although of course those sites don’t cover everything.  I also couldn’t find any Walkers in that graveyard on those sites.

His father:
- Robert Walker, cottar (as per son Robert’s death record (his son James the informant))
- Could find entries for 3 Robert Walkers in the Old Parish Registers Births and baptisms in Argyll of ages that could potentially be Robert Jr.’s father - 1813 in Kilcalmonell and Kilberry, 1788 in Kilmartin, 1799 in Campbeltown
- He doesn’t seem to appear in the Kilbrandon kirk sessions either as getting married or being the father of Robert Walker, or anything else.
- Killed in a quarry accident on Easdale Island when his son Robert was still a boy as per info passed down in family (no documentation)
- Can’t find any death records for any Robert Walkers in Argyll 1825-1855
Could find entries for 3 Robert Walkers after that up until 1900:  1858 (69) Tyree, 1878 (80) Kilmeny, 1881 (68) Tarbert

In summary, Robert Walker's early life is unclear.  He was a child (possibly the only child) of a Robert Walker and a Muir Buchanan, who were possibly unmarried.  Muir likely lived her life in the Kilbrandon area of Argyllshire, where she had Robert, who moved down to Renfrewshire while young, where he got married, had several children, and lived to be old.  Robert Walker Sr. may have come from outside of Argyll to work in the slate quarry on Easdale Island.  While in the area, he met Muir and they had Robert Jr.  They didn’t seem to get married, register the birth of Robert Jr. or have him baptised.  Robert Sr. may have died in an accident in the quarry, or otherwise disappeared from Argyllshire.