Author Topic: General information on BMD's please  (Read 944 times)

Offline verona

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
General information on BMD's please
« on: Wednesday 13 July 05 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hello

On FreeBMD the "spectacles" let you have a look at, what I take to be, a national index of all the local registers.  My question is this - are there local register indices available which have only that area's registrations?  And are they available in the local libraries? 

I'm trying to find a marriage in Portsmouth in the early 20th century and trawling through the FreeBMD is very time consuming but if the local register index was available it would be very much easier.

Thank you

Chris
Mostly in Essex: Hammond Hazell Southgate Barfield Cant Grant Whymark Jones

Mostly in Hampshire: Pollard Grant Aldred Hall Eade Coombs Newell Newman Reed Aburrow Andrews

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: General information on BMD's please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 10:35 BST (UK) »
Verona,
Post what you know  - name and approx year - and someone may find it for you,
Claudia
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline verona

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Claudia

Thanks for that.  I'm looking for Edward GRANT who lived in Portsea.  He was born in 1880 and was still single in the 1901 census.  I've tried FreeBMD and come up with a marriage in 1904 but when I ordered, thinking the bride was Frances Burridge, the ONS came back to say that they weren't a couple!  My next step would be to order the certificate without the bride's name I suppose but I was wondering if there was another way.

Verona

Mostly in Hampshire: Pollard Grant Aldred Hall Eade Coombs Newell Newman Reed Aburrow Andrews

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Claudia

Thanks for that.  I'm looking for Edward GRANT who lived in Portsea.  He was born in 1880 and was still single in the 1901 census.  I've tried FreeBMD and come up with a marriage in 1904 but when I ordered, thinking the bride was Frances Burridge, the ONS came back to say that they weren't a couple!  My next step would be to order the certificate without the bride's name I suppose but I was wondering if there was another way.

Verona
this is the only marriage on BVRI around that date

GRANT, Edward   Age:   22   Marriage
   Wife:   Edith Virtue PERKINS   Age:   19
   Marriage Date:   23 Dec 1906   Recorded in:   Great Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England
         Collection:   St Andrew
   Husband's Father:   Lachland James GRANT
   Wife's Father:   Charles PERKINS

audrey

Offline verona

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 10:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Audrey - I don't think he's the one but thanks for looking.

verona

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 13:31 BST (UK) »
Verona,
The only marriage I can find after 1901 for Edward Grant in Hampshire is the following one:

Edward John Grant Jun 1905 Winchester 2c/263

Possible brides - Emily Hyde or Florence Jackson.

Regards
Claudia

ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford