Author Topic: Using DNA to find Scottish GR-GR-Grandfather in Renfrewshire  (Read 13572 times)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Using DNA to find Scottish GR-GR-Grandfather in Renfrewshire
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 16:56 BST (UK) »
I have send a PM to LadyK,

The PR record does exist.
The index also clearly shows that her 1st son William was still living at her admission in 1872.
The index also shows that she was pregnant at the time and son John has been added to the index.
The words Neilston and Dalry are also included.
I knew that she would have been born in Ayrshire!

I will be going to Paisley before Monday of next week to look at

Caroline Reid
Vol 12 sec 16
Record 16004

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 19:15 BST (UK) »
I can't add anything at the moment to this post BUT it is very spooky reading it as Caroline Reid was my maiden name and I see in your last post that your Caroline was living in Colllier Street, Johnstone, which I also did when I was first married over 100 years later!  I also have connections to Neilston as I had Dunlop family living there and my Reid Grandfather ended up being the Headteacher of the Primary there!

Oh my goodness, Caroline, that IS strange! Tell me about Collier street... are there buildings there that could have been there in 1861? Caroline lived, I believe at #9, which looks on google earth to be an old building, but perhaps not that old. I wonder if your Reids are related to mine?
Scotland: Reid

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
If there is a record of her poor law application then it may reflect which parishes were involved when it came to paying for her care. They usually refer to changes in chargeability. That may help.

S_L

Ah, good thought still_looking! I wasn't thinking about the payer aspect!

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 19:20 BST (UK) »
Anne, I got your note! OH, I'm so excited!! I can hardly wait to find out all that the record says. How thrilling to find that she was indeed living there at the poorhouse. Must not have been a very nice life for a young mother with babies to care for. I do hope all this will help me locate the scoundrel who fathered these little boys! (if indeed it was the same man!) For all I know, Caroline could have been making a living in the world's oldest profession, in which case it will be all the harder to find him, though I could still possibly find a likely family.... well, these records of Caroline and her children are a MARVELOUS development! I await your report with great eagerness!  ;)

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 19:24 BST (UK) »
Also, I have here that Caroline was born in Dalmellington, Ayrshire in 1848, based on the 1851 census. Perhaps you can photograph the page in the records book with your phone?

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

It's hard to say about the building at No 9!  The Lodge attached to it appears to have been built in 1912 so it does look like it is older than that.  The building has just been refurbished recently (within the last couple of years) and turned into flats. The building on the other side was a Council owned building latterly and, I understand, may have been a Court a long time ago.  It has now been refurbished and is now a Dentist's surgery.  It all depends also on whether it is the same No 9 as I know streets are very often renumbered as Paisley's streets definitely were in about 1923.

Reid is a relatively common name :(.  My Great Great Grandfather was also a John Reid but I'm getting into a muddle with his life before he married my Great Great Grandmother, Jessie McKay.  I also think he may have been from Ireland which creates even more problems in trying to trace him :(

Carolineasb
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 20:01 BST (UK) »
LadyK,
Im not sure if I will be able to obtain any copies and doubt very much that I would be allowed to photograph them but, I will ask.

Caroline was admitted to the Poorhouse in 1872 and should therefore be somewhere  with her 1st born son the 1871 census.

Today, I spotted something.
The informant to her death was a woman named Rebecca Blair who was the occupier of the house where Caroline died.

This woman had a lodging house in Smith's Land.
She is found at the same address in both 1861 & 1881.

She too appears to be missing at 1871
I don't think her home was enumerated??

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
Rebecca Blair - I think she's living Holehouse, Neilston, Renfrewshire in 71...along with 5 boarders.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
Jenny,
I use Ancestry but I cannot locate that census of 1871 for Rebecca Blair
Can you post a list of the occupants please?