Author Topic: Daniel McCrohan - 17th & 73rd Regiment of Foot  (Read 893 times)

Offline suzee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel McCrohan - 17th & 73rd Regiment of Foot
« on: Monday 05 October 15 06:53 BST (UK) »
I have attached a copy of the entry for Daniel in the Regimental Registers of Pensioners for the 17th Foot that indicates he died 28/2/1862 however having looked up the BDM indexes for England and Ireland I can't find an entry for him in either one. What do the letters and numbers that follow his date of death mean and could they lead to a location of his death.

I have found that he was alive and living in St George the Martyr in Finsbury in 1851 with his wife Mary (1851 Census). His daughter's death certificate in 1858 indicates he was still alive (she died in Sydney NSW).

Daniel did suffer from periods of insanity and was one of the reasons he was discharged in 1827. He sustained a head injury whilst fighting at Waterloo. If his condition deteriorated would he have admitted to an asylum and would this have been recorded in his army records or the pensioner records?

I look forward to any thoughts/suggestions that you may have to this puzzle.
cheers
Suzee
BAILEY: Eng. & Aust; MURPHY: Ire & Aust; McDONALD: Sct & Aust; McMAHON: Mon Ire & Aust; BERRY: Ire & Aust; McCRONE/McCROHAN: Ire, Eng & Aust; PUNCH: Cork Ire & Aust & NZ; GREENWAY: Ire; RENNIE: Stirling Sct, Quebec Canada & Aust & NZ; JANZ: Ger & Aust; HYDE: Ire & Aust; HINCHEY: Dub Ire & Aust; GEAGHAN: Galway Ire & Aust; GOUDIE: Shet Is, Sct & Aust & NZ;

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel McCrohan - 17th & 73rd Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 October 15 07:52 BST (UK) »
The references after 1862 are internal Chelsea numbers whose meaning have been lost. What is the heading for the column with S London? It looks like the payment area where he received the pension. This may help in finding his death.

Entering an asylum would almost certainly reduce his pension. So it would be recorded somewhere. But not necessarily on this document. Do you have his service record? These came from Chelsea and often record changes to the soldier's pension.

Have you seen this - http://www.mccrohan.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=15&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Ken

Offline suzee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 15 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken the column where S London is a year - the previous column is residence followed by years.  According to records he did go back to Tralee however for unknown reasons he came back to England. I have looked through the records I have and there is no service number for him. I have seen the information on the McCrohan.net site but does not reveal much about his life in the years after Waterloo, what became of his other children except his son John, nor when he or his wife died. I am trying to fill in the blanks!
Thank you once again for your thoughts
Suzee
BAILEY: Eng. & Aust; MURPHY: Ire & Aust; McDONALD: Sct & Aust; McMAHON: Mon Ire & Aust; BERRY: Ire & Aust; McCRONE/McCROHAN: Ire, Eng & Aust; PUNCH: Cork Ire & Aust & NZ; GREENWAY: Ire; RENNIE: Stirling Sct, Quebec Canada & Aust & NZ; JANZ: Ger & Aust; HYDE: Ire & Aust; HINCHEY: Dub Ire & Aust; GEAGHAN: Galway Ire & Aust; GOUDIE: Shet Is, Sct & Aust & NZ;

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzee

Regimental numbers were not introduced until after he was discharged. He may have found work in England. Many English and Scottish pensioners retired to Ireland as they pensions went further. It was all one country so they could decide where they wanted to settle. At times pensioners could even get a free passage to any British colony.

Ken

Offline suzee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 15 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken I had thought of them going to one of their children however I have not found them with their son John who was also in the army. I did not know that they could get passage to other parts of the British colony - I will look into that.
Thank you
Suzee