Author Topic: Jedburgh Poor Law  (Read 4812 times)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jedburgh Poor Law
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 18 October 15 18:51 BST (UK) »
problem solved re Lydia's fathers death

I went on scotlandspeople and noticed two similar deaths but with different mother surnames - accessed both and bingo they were for the same man

the record you have is the initial registered death - which his death was not certified

the certified death certificate has some corrections (not uncommon when the person registering is not a direct relative) the certified copy has the death as the night of the 11th not the 12th (12th probably when the family found him - also the certified copy has his parents as William Turnbull and Helen Rutherford - Margaret Young was his wife  - the death was certified over a week later

it is rare to have to details about his children on the death certificate - it would be great if it was still the same after 1855  - (first time I've seen it )

I have seen his parents before during my turnbull side research so I'll have to dig it out again.

Keep searching

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jimini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 18 October 15 20:07 BST (UK) »
Wow, I looked to see if there was an RCE for the reg, glad you dug deeper, apparently another William mason lived in Ancrum and had John. Yes I was thrilled to see the details of children listed, maybe just in Peebles.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jimini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 18 October 15 20:18 BST (UK) »
I just viewed that info, wonder where "Nisbet Burial Place" was/is.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 18 October 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
I think nisbet burial place means he was buried at Nisbet Graveyard

the bordering parish to Ancrum is Nisbet & Crailing - Lydia & Mark are buried there - quite a few of my Aitken's, etc are buried in Nisbet & Crailing.

Nisbet Graveyard is in the centre of the village

I checked the MI but no stone for John Turnbull visible, if any.

Offline Jimini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 19 October 15 01:24 BST (UK) »
Found opr marriage 1766 for William Turnbull mason and Nelly Rutherford

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 19 October 15 10:14 BST (UK) »
Found it last night too

Nelly is a common name around here for Helen

Had a look for possible siblings - seems as usual the minster wasn't interested in the mother's name only the father's  - but did find several possibility(19), I'll just have to eliminate some as I go through them - turnbull's beard well back then