Author Topic: Lifeboat Inn, Church Street, Workington  (Read 3164 times)

Offline CA222EP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lifeboat Inn, Church Street, Workington
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 September 22 10:33 BST (UK) »
Back in 1894 the trade directory lists John Nicholson as being a beer retailer at 19 Church Street.
But by 1901 the more recent trade directory lists him as John Nicholson publican of the Lifeboat Inn, at the same address.
His neighbours or perhaps competitors were:
18 Church Street was the "Tradesman's Arms" run by James Bailiff.
24 Church Street was the "The Grapes Inn" run by Thomas Parkinson.  It was nick named the Pie Shop because he was also a confectioner.
76 Church Street was the "Bessemer Arms" run by Eleanor Richardson.
79 Church Street was the "The Albion" run by Hugh McMullen.  In due course the Albion was renamed the "Ancient Mariner".
101 Church Street was the "Solway Inn" run by John Edward Waite.
and
111 Church Street was the "Sailors Return" run by John Graham. 
There are 2 theories as to why Church Street was flattened and never rebuilt.
The 1st is that it was pretty much slum clearance work.
The 2nd is that there was no rebuilding in the area because the properties had been prone to flooding due to high tides and flooding due to heavy rainfall swelling the Derwent River.
Church Street was stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Consequently people were being moved out to estates such as Moss Bay, Westfield, Moorclose, Salterbeck etc.   

Offline CA222EP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 September 22 10:33 BST (UK) »
Just by chance I came across a CASCAT article (They being, Cumbria Archive Service Catalogue).
Where it reckons that the Bessemer Arms was purchased by the council for their highways improvements.  From 1967 - 1968.  Presumably they wanted to make Church Street a wider road.
Now the Ancient Mariner the site of which is still visible, granted only just visible was at number 79 Church Street and the Bessemer Arms was at number 76 Church Street Workington Cumbria.
Seeing as Workington number their properties odd numbers one side of the street and evens the other side of the street.
That being the case, the Bessemer Arms was near enough opposite the Ancient Mariner.   
So the footprint of where the Bessemer Arms used to be is under the grassy area on the left hand side of Church Street.  Like so many others.
Not just pubs but shops and peoples houses.  Effectively half the community was lost or moved on.   

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 October 22 11:07 BST (UK) »
Here's a map of the east end of Church St sometime during the "development".  I would guess No.19 was on the "pointed corner" opposite the Grapes Hotel.  As the "odd side" has been replaced by new houses, I doubt that flooding was the reason for clearance.

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.