Author Topic: Lympsham Baptismal/Marriage Record for Eliza Sealy  (Read 1891 times)

Offline youwho

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lympsham Baptismal/Marriage Record for Eliza Sealy
« on: Thursday 08 October 15 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks

I'm looking for a baptismal record for Eliza Sealy born in Lympsham around 1835 just wondering if anyone has access to the parish records and would be kind enough to have a look for me, and let me know the details.

She married John Sampson in Dec 1/4 1864 Registration district Axbridge could you be kind enough to see if there is a copy of the marriage entry in the parish record and let me know the details

Any information will be much appreciated

many thanks
youwho
KENT Clackett, Swaffer, Houghton, Jezzard, Epps, Smith
ESSEX Hoy, Bentley, Smith, 
HERTFORDSHIRE, BEDFORDSHIRE Hare, Holland,  Crouch , Shepherd
SUSSEX  Jones, Smith,
DEPTFORD   Phillips, Francis
MIDDLESEX - TOTTENHAM Smith, Bentley, Hoy, Phillips, Mead, Cooke

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lympsham Baptismal/Marriage Record for Eliza Sealy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 October 15 08:07 BST (UK) »
HI!

From FreeReg:

Eliza Sealy- Baptised 29 June 1834, St Christopher's, Lympsham. Father John Sealy, Labourer, Mother -Flora , alias Mogg.
Abode-Perving Row, Lympsham.

No record of her being married at LYmpsham that I can see .

Offline youwho

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 October 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Many many thanks for the information on Eliza very much appreciated, they lived most their lives in Weston Super Mare, maybe that's where they married.

Thanks again

youwho
SUSSEX  Jones, Smith,

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 15 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Ive had a look on free bmd no joy & also free reg a MAR in Weston but the brides parent names don't fit - Im in Weston library where there are a few sets of fiche for Lympsham registers but see no point in searching them as someone else has already looked for the marriage & had no luck.

Good luck with this as it could be hard as there are a lot of ways of spelling Eliza's surname which could make her dificult to trace.

have you tried searching the 1841 & 51 census's for her as she should be with her parents on both, unless she was in service in 1851 & not living at home

Good hunting

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 October 15 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have researched a part of this family in the past and the name is often under Mogg or Sealy Mogg.  The 1841 and 1851 census entries for Eliza are under Mogg although she married as a Sealy.

It could be that they married in a Register Office and therefore would not appear in the church records.

At least, it is another avenue to search.

Elizabeth

Offline youwho

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 October 15 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks

I think I have found the marriage on FreeBMD 1864 Dec 1/4 Axbridge  District 5c 1094, John Sampson & Eliza Sealy, their son Henry John is giving me a few headaches, I believe he is the father of my Cousin's (once removed) grandmother, Elsie Sampson b 1896, on her birth certificate, Father is Harry Sampson, mother Mary Ann formally Williams, but I cannot find a marriage entry for this couple, Henry married Honor Day in 1907, their first child Edith was illegitimate born in 1906 my cousin said her grandmother Elsie always said Edith was her half sister. I believe this to be true as on the Short service record of Elsie's brother Reginald b 1894, his next of Kin is written Elsie Sampson sister, this has been crossed out and Hanna Sampson Mother has been entered, Honor and Hannah sound very similar, which makes me think Honor is their stepmother, who married
Henry Sampson in 1907, there is a death record for Mary Ann Sampson Dec 1/4 1906.

The only marriage entry I can find for a Mary Ann Williams is to a William Henry Sampson in 1893 at Bristol, Yes this could be the Harry on Elsie's birth certificate, and a Mary Ann Sampson died in 1906, but I can't find a William Henry marrying  a Hannah/Honor. (Henry John did have a brother William b 1875)

On the 1911 census Henry Sampson is with his wife Honor, children Edith, Laura and Henry, unfortunately Elsie was in hospital at that time, and Reginald was in the workhouse.

My cousin certainly remembers a Laura as well as Edith as she sent xmas cards to Edith.

I said it is complicated, my conclusion at this moment is Henry Sampson lived with Mary Ann saying they were married, therefore the birth certificate of Elsie looks like they were married, he left Mary  with 2 children, to live with Honor Day then after Mary Ann died in 1906, he married Honor in 1907, I did think of getting the marriage cert for Henry and Honor to see what his martial status says, probably widower, but I wouldn't really be any the wiser as anyone can say anything to a registrar/vicar on the details of a certificate.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated, as at the moment I feel I can't see the wood for the trees.

Thanks for reading my ramblings

youwho
SUSSEX  Jones, Smith,

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 October 15 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

Axbridge was a very big district so if you get any more info as to what you think the parish may be then post it & I'll have a look at the parish registers if they are held by the library where I'm one of the volunteer researchers

All the very best

Phil

ps most of North Somerset registers are held
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline youwho

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 November 15 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil

Thanks for the offer, all we know is the family lived in Weston Super Mare all of their lives,

Bren
SUSSEX  Jones, Smith,

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 November 15 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bren

I don't know if this will fit in with your records at any time but the info is taken from a book of MIs for Weston cemetery held in the local studies room at Weston library compiled by the local historian Brian Austin
Sealey Frederick buried 30APR1899 aged 46, Amelia Emma buried 11JUL1901 aged 49 & Grandchildren WOOLINGTON

All the very best

Phil

ps if you want any more info on the cemetery contact Pat Hase via Weston-super-Mare & District Family History Societyn as she has a more up to date record of who is buried in the cemetery
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell