Author Topic: St Botolph Aldgate Poor Relief records 1865  (Read 589 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
St Botolph Aldgate Poor Relief records 1865
« on: Sunday 11 October 15 18:08 BST (UK) »
A confession and a plea for help….

Going back to my Williams family I found I made, a few years ago, a note for Mary Williams [sister of my great grandfather John George Williams] as follows:
from origins.net
Mary Ann Williams (23) of 3 Three King Court (in parish 3 weeks) sp. and has an illegitimate child Ellen Maria Williams (2 months); no friends living, left an orphan when very young and brought up by an old lady now dead. 24 May 1865.
[St Botolph Aldgate, Entry No 3632; GL Ms 2676/25]

Now ‘my’ Mary Williams was born in St Luke’s Chelsea in 1841 [1851 census aged 9 Pce: 1491 Fol: 82 P: 72] and orphaned in 1855; her younger sister Margaret died aged 5 on 28 Jan 1855, her father William aged 49 on 21 Feb 1855 & her mother Johannah nee Frawley aged 40 on 28 Feb 1855 all in Marylebone Workhouse Infirmary. They were living at 99 Devonshire Street. Mary was the informant & made her mark on her mother’s death certificate. I have not found her for sure on the 1861.

Confession: I foolishly kept no copy of the record from St Botolph’s other that the note above. Origins.net is now taken over by findmypast to which I no longer have a subscription. I was young [well 7 years younger] & foolish then….

Plea for help:  Are these St Botolph’s poor relief records on findmypast? Where are the original records kept? Would I be able to find able further details about this Mary Ann Williams [who may or may not be ‘my’ Mary] & her baby Ellen Maria? It was the statement about her being 23 in 1865 orphaned 'young' that made it seem possible that this is ‘my’ Mary although I have no record of her being Mary Ann.

I have been looking at the censuses & BMDs to try to pin down ‘my’ Mary, the above Mary Ann & Ellen Maria. Mary's only surviving sibling John aged 10 was taken to a school in Bruges, Belgium by a Victorian philanthropist to be educated; when he married in Marylebone in 1868, Mary was not a witness.

Thanks for any help with the St Botolph’s records, Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Botolph Aldgate Poor Relief records 1865
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 October 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
As regards the poor law records, the database has been transferred to FindMyPast and is now called London Poor Law Records 1581-1899. The record for Mary Ann Williams is there, exactly as you have it, but nothing more.

The original records are not at Guildhall Library (as still claimed by FindMyPast), but at LMA. There may be more in the original than is given in the transcript.

From the LMA catalogue (parish of St Botolph Aldgate) …

Pauper examination book for the East Smithfield part of the parish, 1742-1834 (vols.1-24); and copies of examinations for the City part, 1854-66 (vol.25).
P69/BOT2/B/042/MS02676/025

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Botolph Aldgate Poor Relief records 1865
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 October 15 19:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that comprehensive information Bookbox. A trip to the LMA is needed now, but there are other items I have wanted to see there for a while anyway.

Thanks again, Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON