Author Topic: augustus clare COOPER[ b1856 NSW]-m-Mary MCDONOUGH[ b1858 ] in 1878 NSW  (Read 6000 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: augustus clare COOPER[ b1856 NSW]-m-Mary MCDONOUGH[ b1858 ] in 1878 NSW
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 06:57 BST (UK) »
Yes,  that's the one I was referring to.    That would be a Church of England baptism as per the NSW BDM index clues.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 07:40 BST (UK) »
Sue,Yes I had found that out a few hours ago . Medusa

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 07:57 BST (UK) »
Augustus C Clare also appears on Ancestry in Australia, Birth Index, 1788-1922.
Does familysearch have a free version of that?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 08:12 BST (UK) »
Augustus C Clare also appears on Ancestry in Australia, Birth Index, 1788-1922.
Does familysearch have a free version of that?

That would be an index only record at Ancestry.   I assume it will read along similar lines to Augustus Clare CLARE with parents as William CLARE and Augusta, and a registration year of 1854 and registration district of Clarence River, NSW with Volume no. 40.   If so, then it is a reference to a Church of England baptism in the Clarence River district in far north coastal region of NSW. 

Earlier I gave 2 family search live links re the baptism.  In NSW, CofE baptisms are often recorded in at least two registers. 

I suspect that your Augustus Clare was born 13 April 1854, Bullinah, NSW (perhaps that would be today’s Ballina NSW), and baptised 17 August 1854, and that his mum was Augusta CLARE.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTHK-C3T
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTCZ-LZN
http://www.bullinahahs.org.au/
It is also listed at NSW BDM online index

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 08:27 BST (UK) »
So did Augusta Clare marry a Cooper as a widow?

There is a note on Augustus Clare Clare mother Augusta Clare stating Australian Aboriginie born Clarence River (Does this relate to Augustus C Clare?)((Because of his heritage, I would probably go down the certificate/printout route)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTHK-C3T

The Clarence River (Aboriginal: Breimba or Berrinbah) was this Bullindah?

Marriage
4666/1878    COOPER   AUGUSTUS CLARE   MCDONOUGH   MARY   RICHMOND RIVER

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 08:29 BST (UK) »
Or did Augustus Clare CLARE simply change his own surname to COOPER? 

The 1878 NSW marriage certificate should be an interesting document.

ADD
Here's a link for the Centre for  Indigenous Family History Studies
http://www.cifhs.com/

Cheers,  JM

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 06:41 BST (UK) »
It's disappointing when the OP logs on and doesn't respond to the research or answer questions posted on the thread by fellow chatters.  Please or thank you doesn't appear to be in his vocabulary.  Certainly discourages others from joining in the search :-X

An experience with medusa on the Australian Board was anything but an enjoyable and although he stated I have obtained Victorian Birth/Death certificates....free of charge....been told .....he failed to post the details or even answer any questions relating to them.

As I post this reply Medus was "last active" today.  Easily checked by looking at his profile.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 06:46 BST (UK) »
To Jm,Well I think I am SENSIBLE enough to check out everything I can before I receive quality help from the board,...in fact I do work backwards in my research!
          If you like to look, my heading states birthdates and marriage of Mary May's parents and Augustus is not listed as being born in NSW[I got  my birth info from Family Search!]..and with the name Mary Mcdonough ,how many ways can you spell it!...MEDUSA

To jm,Augustus Clare Cooper is not listed in the NSWBDM under Births as being born in NSW but in Family Search.....Medusa

Medusa,  I am concerned about how you validate your own research.   I share a quick check at Familysearch, using your Augustus Clare COOPER as my 'person of interest' .....  I have a very different outcome from you when searching familysearch for his birth. 

https://familysearch.org/family-trees

A SUBMITTED TREE at FamilySearch
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/M6GN-XV3

ANOTHER SUBMITTED TREE at FamilySearch
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:M6GL-496

AND A FURTHER SUBMITTED TREE at FamilySearch
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:9V7R-HS9

“Genealogies are trees submitted to FamilySearch that can help you fill out your family lines within Family Tree. Accuracy of the data in these genealogies varies from tree to tree; we encourage you to validate all data.”

I do not rely on submitted trees, (whether at FamilySearch or at any other website, or even in a hardcopy format from decades ago)....  I regularly use  FamilySearch’s HISTORICAL RECORDS, in particular the Australia Indexed Historical Records ….  and from those records (which in my view ought to be called 'Australia Indexed Historical Transcriptions of Records') I attach

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/location/1927080

So, an actual search of FAMILYSEARCH’s Historic Records shows NO records found for Augustus Clare Cooper for a birth in Australia in the period 1845 – 1865.

Of course, each person choosing to indulge in family history as a hobby or as a professional decides their own ways and means and their own standards of practice and their own ways to confirm/eliminate possibles/probables/likely/very likely candidates from their own trees.   

Red Post,  Yes, definitely discouraging when the OP logs on, but fails to post on their own thread. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 07:46 BST (UK) »
To JM and others,Well I must be the only one on a chat forum to get a spanking for receiving 11 threads and only sending 3..oopps ...maybe I am doing other things and I notice some of your threads repeat what I have said!...Mind some questions like cando's dont even refer to the "Subject".
        I did'nt know William's surname was Clare.....after all he could have been of aborigine heritage ?and Augusta ..European.Augustus Clare COOPER's parents are listed in the NSW bdm as John and Diana[cannot find out anything on them] of course they could have 2nd/3rd parents as he was only 38 when he died[1892] and Augustus Clare CLARE may have change his surname to Cooper..now we are chatting.
       JM I only got A.C.COOPER's birth through his marriage on Family Search ..not from births as I have already mentioned.
       I do not accept Family Trees on any site as I know most are half completed or inaccurate and my trees are for my family.
       I still dont know why I have to justify myself to people I dont even know! ??? MEDUSA