Author Topic: Lookup Request - Henry Bertrand in "Victorian Arena: The Performers"  (Read 3208 times)

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request - Henry Bertrand in "Victorian Arena: The Performers"
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon

Got hold of the book today. In fact, there are two volumes, both limited editions of 500 copies. The entry for Henry Bertrand in Volume 1 reads:

"Ringmaster, equestrian director and circus manager. Born about 1849, the son of Anthony Bertrand. Married Julia Robinson. Daughter, Agnes Julia, born c1863. Manager of Sanger's Hippodrome and Menagerie (travelling), and Sanger's National Amphitheatre, London, in 1875, altogether for fourteen years. Ringmaster at Hengler's between 1885 and 1888. General Manager of Wulff's circus, at Hengler's Circus Building, London, and in the provinces, during 1892-4. Manager of George Gilbert's Modern Circus, and the Chesterfield Grand Circus of Varieties in 1895. Manager of George Arundale's Royal English Circus, Birmingham, for a record ten month season, 1897-8. Died in Birmingham, 4th April 1898. Permanent address, in 1898, was in Gateshead-on-Tyne."

Above him, there's an entry for another Bertrand - named only by his surname followed by: "Gymnast. Mark Dove. Died 18th October 1867."

There are no entries for the name Bertrand in Volume 2.

I was in correspondence with the author John Turner about 15 years ago and met him once in London when he gave a talk at the Society of Genealogists about tracing circus ancestors: a wonderful researcher and very generous with his help to family historians, myself included. He sadly died perhaps 10 years ago, at a point, I think, when he was planning to put his databases online so that more people could access them.

Hope this helps.

Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline scanning

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

Very many thanks for the lookup! The information has multiplied what I had discovered so far immensely.

A real shame that the author has passed away and that the book was such a small run, as it seems to be a great resource for finding information about circus performers.

Once again, thank you for the information, it is definitely appreciated  :)

Simon

CANNING - New Zealand, Ireland BONE - New Zealand, Norfolk - CATTRALL - Liverpool WEALLEANS - New Zealand, Northumberland - DUFFY - Scotland, Ireland - DYKES - New Zealand, Liverpool, Cheshire - HAY - New Zealand, Ireland HALDANE - Newcastle on Tyne, Scotland

Offline Sabatinitennis

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 20:00 BST (UK) »
I think that this chap is the great grand father of Eric idle of Monty python fame ....see page six of idles recent autobiography.